Does V6 car engine last longer than V4 engines?

eppixx

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 05:13 pm
is this true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 5,249 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 05:37 pm
@eppixx,
All the 4 cylinders engines I've ever seen were always in-line 4 cyl. I understand v4 are used in outboard engines and infrequently in some cars. V4 engine has not been widely used in cars, with Lancia, Ford and ZAZ the only companies to manufacture such an engine.

However to my understanding, they don't last any differently if properly maintained. Perhaps some mechanics with experience will speak up about this.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 07:08 pm
@Ragman,
...however, when you stop and think about it...there has to be a reason that the V4 configuration of engines didn't catch on as compared to V6s or other straight 4s....Vibration?
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 08:35 pm
@Ragman,
I think it has something to do with the harmonics, hard to balance out the firing order to get a smooth running engine. (lookup Harmonic Balancers).

That being said, Honda has made v4 in their motorcycles for a long time and they're known to be smooth running. I'm not sure about the success rate of v4 in cars. and cars with FWD. It might be in cars that they're more costly and weighty hence giving up efficiency as compared to inline 4.
roger

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:41 pm
@Ragman,
From the standpoint of vibration and weight, the advantage should go to the v4 over inline 4. Two rods per crank throw, and each fires at 90 degrees from the next in the firing order. Still, they never became popular, did they?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 10:04 pm
@roger,
vw and porsche got a lot of mileage out of the flat four...

the loose nut behind the wheel is usually the deciding factor in engine durability.
roger

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 12:05 am
@Rockhead,
Lycombing and Continental did okay in general aviation, too.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 04:28 am
@Rockhead,
And Subaru--The Motorrad has done pretty well with the Boxer.

BTW--V4's do pretty well if they fire as two's, becoming, essentially, a V2+2.

And the V-twin configuration makes a great light engine. It's limited though, and has only been used on motorcycles, stationaries, motorcycles, lawnmowers, and ultralight aircraft.

Also boxer and V twins really shine as air cooled engines-- boxer 4's less so.

Rap
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 09:09 pm
I would think that kind of 4 suffers a lot more wear to move the same mass at the same speed/acceleration as a 6. If you're not driving the same mass in the same way in both then you're comparing apples to oranges.

How does one compare longevity in engines? Total number of revolutions? Distance travelled?
0 Replies

xtremcarrace

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:24 pm
@eppixx,
I think usually 6 cylinders do last longer than 4 bangers. The theory is that 6 cylinders have to work 1/3 less than 4 do.
0 Replies