What do I do if my lawyer lied to me?

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2011 02:57 pm
@mysticlme1,
What state are you in?

What was the nature of the hearing you participated in last, where you were represented by the attorney?

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "contingency basis"? What is the contingency? Did your first attorney tell you that sort of payment arrangement was ethical?

Why did you sign papers agreeing to sell your house for an amount that you didn't want to sell it for?

How did you lose $28,000?

What did you petition for?

Without the answers to these questions, hard to give you any sort of helpful response.

You should probably meet with an attorney to answer this question for you.
0 Replies

raveenasen

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 07:14 am
@katya8,
1. Find a new lawyer and fire the old one. The new lawyer might be able to get the plea set aside based on ineffective assistance of counsel, but I'd not hold my breath on that. If it's possible at all, it won't be easy and it will take time. But it won't hurt for you to consult another lawyer or two to find out what, if anything, can be done now.

2. File a complaint about your lawyer with the state office that disciplines lawyers.

3. Sue the lawyer for malpractice.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:09 am
@raveenasen,
raveenasen wrote:

I'm sure 8+ years is beyond the statute of limitations. In any case, he filed the complaint ... what the hell is it with you people always wanting to sue the lawyers for any reason?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:36 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

raveenasen wrote:

I'm sure 8+ years is beyond the statute of limitations. In any case, he filed the complaint ... what the hell is it with you people always wanting to sue the lawyers for any reason?

You sue where the money is and the theory is that lawyers have money.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:45 am
@raveenasen,
raveenasen wrote:

1. Find a new lawyer and fire the old one.

If the OP hasn't figured out her legal problems 8+ years later, your LATE advice isn't going to help. Besides that poster hasn't been back since August 2008.

As indicated here:
http://able2know.org/user/katya8/
Rolling Eyes
Learn to look and understand dates on the internet. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

aryary

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 05:51 am
@katya8,
If that is the case that a person whom you would trust most and tell every happenings about yourself lies to you then yous should take a bold step such as filing a case against him,which you could do beside that you should let others know about his/her reputation also through blogs,forums or other communicative mediums.
0 Replies

jenn65

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2016 06:42 pm
My brother is the executor on our mothers will, which is now in probate and waiting for the final court date which isn't for 7 months. We have had nothing but problems with our attorney, not returning calls/emails, breaking our appointments and he has brought our faith and trust in him down to a zero. We are finding that we doubt anything he tells us but have no idea where to go for help or to confirm anything he says to be true or not. He has the funds in an attorney client trust account and we have learned from several sources that the executor has the right to give advances to the beneficiaries if he chooses to. Our attorney claims that he himself would have to go to the court and ask the judge for permission and unless one of us are dying or something as extreme like that then it would be impossible to get an advance. He also claimed that it would cost us time and money to do this. As I said, we have looked into this and found this not to be true but when we tried to meet with him to discuss, he didn't show up for our appointment. Does anyone have advice on what can be done? Unfortunately, there are not a lot of funds to pay for another attorney.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 12:21 pm
@jenn65,
Depending on what state you live in, find out how to report your attorney to your state's appropriate state bar association.
jenn65

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2016 03:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I live in California. I have all the info on where to send the complaint but I didn't want to do that unless I was absolutely certain. That's why I wanted to speak with someone to find out if what he has been telling us is true or not. I went online this morning to look at the case summary on the courts website and I could see the 12/01 date for the petition hearing but also saw that there is another date for 08/30 for OSC hearing, which we were told nothing about. I know that it is for an order to show cause, but for what I don't know.
0 Replies