What does forgiveness really mean?

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 12:30 pm

Are those who believe they have the power to forgive, absolve others ill-advised acts, acting out their illusions of grandeur, or are they limited to -- acceptance, understanding , and relating with?

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Mark Twain
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 19,209 • Replies: 58
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 04:52 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Perhaps we finally "forgive" others when--as acts of empathic compassion--we realize how we could have just as easily committed the offense toward them that they committed against us.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 07:16 am
I think forgiveness is giving up the power that another person or act has over you.
Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:03 am
@JLNobody,
Perhaps we finally "forgive" others when--as acts of empathic compassion--we realize how we could have just as easily committed the offense toward them that they committed against us. >>

I can relate with shared empathic compassion, but why should it translate or evolve into forgiveness?
Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:20 am
@PUNKEY,
I think forgiveness is giving up the power that another person or act has over you. >>

Depends on what kind of power, influence or blackmail.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:23 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Are you speaking about a one time "offense" or an on-going process, like blackmailing (as you used for an example)

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 02:13 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Forgiveness is one of those very shady very tricky concepts that require careful action...from forgiveness to foolishness there is just one small step.
We should only forgive what is manageable "forgiveful"...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:47 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Good points. Empathic compassion does not automatically translate into forgiveness but it is one basis for having the motivation for forgiveness. And, of course, the weight of the offense will be compared to the weight of the motivation for forgiveness. Nothing's simple.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:39 pm
@JLNobody,
...my point was to question whether or not there is honest regret an how hard it is to tell it apart if harm was already done, because if there is I am all in favour of forgiving...sometimes good minded people like you J are all to willing to forgive n that can turn out a dangerous business...in general terms I agree with your view, I just thought the remark was needed.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 07:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I guess I am just lucky to have not experienced a wrong that is unforgivable.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 07:58 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I guess I am just lucky to have not experienced a wrong that is unforgivable.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 03:22 pm
@JLNobody,
I guess I am just lucky to have not experienced a wrong that is unforgivable. >>

Myself, I'm the product of both good and bad, mostly unintentional brainwashing, and really have no control of who and what I am.
Everything I do, both good or bad, is not my fault, so I have no guilt, no regrets, no beliefs, just a free and open space.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 10:10 am
@Rickoshay75,
Very good, Rick. Much of your claim also applies to me--except for guilt and beliefs in terms of doctrines (I, as well as you, do have tacit/unconscious presuppositions).
I'm glad for the "free and open space" you enjoy, and I'm working on acquiring more for myself.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 12:04 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
What does forgiveness really mean?

If a person has been wronged and they do not eventually forgive the one who harmed them, then they continue to be harmed mentally because they can find no peace of mind. Forgiveness means one has the possibility of regaining one's mental health through... experiencing the peace of mind that returns after it was lost during a period of unforgiveness.
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 05:15 pm
@igm,
To forgive is to put an offense in a place that the eye does not see. It has no bearing on your figurative mind nor heart toward another being
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:11 pm
It is the action in which a member of a society is accepted back into the greater whole.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:42 pm
Forgiveness appeals to the idea determinism is true n thus that anyone could have had a bad fate...when we forgive someone we forgive ourselves in the other in front of us...he is me and I am him...Universal Love is pure intelligence. There are no strangers. The State is not just my neighbourhood 50 meters around my house...the idea of State is the idea that a stranger can still be my brother...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:53 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Forgiveness for what?

A minor transgression?
Being unreliable?
Killing your child?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:59 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Killing your child?

I like to keep some of my unforgiving stupidity saved for those... Laughing
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 10:42 pm
@mark noble,
Forgiveness is a precious thing that cannot be given to everybody.