Gastric Cancer but unable to go through surgery

Thu 4 Apr, 2013 02:37 pm
My grandfather is 88 years old and looks extremely good for his age; he's also very smart and interested in everything, with a great general condition.

He's always been healthy except for the past 2 months - he was always feeling nauseous when he ate, went through some exames and three weeks ago we found he has gastric cancer. Exams seemed to show that the tumour was quite large but hadn't spread, so surgery seemed like a good option to remove most of the tumor and his stomach.

However, he went through surgery today but there was not much they could do - they said they "cleaned" what was possible (what does this mean??) but the tumour was very close (not invading) intestine and pancreas so they couldn't go through. Due do his age, he can't go through chemotherapy either. However, they did perform something that will allow him to eat better (the food will go directly to the intestine) since he has lost of weight in the past weeks because he's always so nauseous that his stomach won't take anything. In what concerns the tumor...nothing more to do.

Honestly, what to expect? The doc said he can have a good quality of life, but I should expect that in this stage things will only get worse? He doesn't look or seem fragile and keeps his spirits up, but for how long may he live? Will he suffer very much? Can we minimise that, and how? How to make him not feel any pain? Also: should we be upfront with him or it's better not to say much about it?

Thanks in advance Sad

jespah

Thu 4 Apr, 2013 02:42 pm
@Christie9,
It's time for him - and you - to get a second opinion. This is not disloyalty to your doctor, it is a way to get the patient the best possible care, and explore as many options as possible.
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 9 Apr, 2013 05:37 am
Don't try providing medical advice. It's thoroughly irresponsible, not to mention being against our Terms of Service.
0 Replies

Christie9

Tue 9 Apr, 2013 02:43 pm
Can't go through chemo nor radiation due to his age.
0 Replies

MilonJones

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:59 pm
@Christie9,
Hello Friends,

His cancer is now stage 4, so he isn't going to survive. Your family can look into hospice care for him, so that he will kept comfortable and with his pain controlled for the rest of his life. If he's alert and otherwise healthy, he probably knows what he's facing but it will give your family a chance to let him know how much they live and appreciate him.

Thanks and Regards,
Milon Jones
jespah

Mon 29 Apr, 2013 05:28 am
@MilonJones,
Go away, bot.
0 Replies

Mark Stewart

Mon 29 Apr, 2013 05:33 am
I had an awfully unhealthy Bikram expertise. Many years past, I accustomed teach yoga. I practiced many times every week, either Astanga or "power flow" yoga. I visited this category expecting nice things. And also the teacher was awful! It is not that she did not apprehend what she was doing; she was extremely virtuoso and knowledgeable.
0 Replies

amygarside

Mon 29 Apr, 2013 08:42 pm
@Christie9,
You can go for a second opinion, or you may try herbal medicines, but you need to seek the expert advise of doctors.
0 Replies