How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

reasoning logic

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:01 pm
@CostaCoffeeBob,
Quote:
Blaming Religion for the evils in society is simplistic.

I do agree with you. The problem is we are human and being so some of us have full blown cluster b personality disorders and the rest have the traits to one degree or another. Where do you fit in the middle of all this?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 05:03 pm
@Dropship,
Quote:
If any faith without Jesus the Son of God in it is "great", I'm Mary Poppins.

Nice to meet you Mary.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 06:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
How many meanings can the word 'word' Have?
I never counted. Maybe you should Google it. I remember I once had the latest word in cell phones. Then everybody had one. Now it's trash. Go figure.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 06:33 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Think of it as the 'authority' or 'messenger'.

Do you suppose that the anonymous writer of John did not have access to words such as authority' or 'messenger so he used the word 'word' so that only a prophet could explain it to the rest of us?
neologist

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 06:37 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
Think of it as the 'authority' or 'messenger'.

Do you suppose that the anonymous writer of John did not have access to words such as authority' or 'messenger so he used the word 'word' so that only a prophet could explain it to the rest of us?
The Greek word is logos.
Does that mean anything to you?
reasoning logic

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 06:48 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
The Greek word is logos.
Does that mean anything to you?

It seems to be an idea, opinion, an account, word. They all seem similar. If I try really hard I might find that Jesus means the same.

I tried but I could not do it.

Logos (UK /ˈloʊɡɒs/, /ˈlɒɡɒs/, or US /ˈloʊɡoʊs/; Greek: λόγος, from λέγω lego "I say") is an important term in philosophy, psychology, rhetoric, and religion. Originally a word meaning "a ground", "a plea", "an opinion", "an expectation", "word", "speech", "account", "to reason
neologist

Sun 30 Aug, 2015 09:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic, speaking of 'word' wrote:
. . . . It seems to be an idea, opinion, an account, word. They all seem similar. If I try really hard I might find that Jesus means the same.

I tried but I could not do it.

Logos (UK /ˈloʊɡɒs/, /ˈlɒɡɒs/, or US /ˈloʊɡoʊs/; Greek: λόγος, from λέγω lego "I say") is an important term in philosophy, psychology, rhetoric, and religion. Originally a word meaning "a ground", "a plea", "an opinion", "an expectation", "word", "speech", "account", "to reason. . .
Jesus is referred to by other names and in other ways. Just a few.
Wisdom (Proverbs, Ch.8)
His name means "Jehovah's Salvation"
He told Pilate he had been born to "bear witness to the truth" - John 18:37
reasoning logic

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 03:52 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Jesus is referred to by other names and in other ways. Just a few.
Wisdom (Proverbs, Ch.8)
His name means "Jehovah's Salvation"
He told Pilate he had been born to "bear witness to the truth" - John 18:37

I grew up with Christian teachings too. I do respect you as a person Neologist, you seem to be a gentleman, I just happen to have a different view point than you.
I have been taught the same as you, that Jesus is the word the truth the light
and the way.

I can still find value in those old teachings and I can also find value in my new understanding of reality.

Leadfoot

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 06:39 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

I can still find value in those old teachings and I can also find value in my new understanding of reality.

Can you summarize the main difference between your old and new understanding?
reasoning logic

Mon 31 Aug, 2015 04:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Can you summarize the main difference between your old and new understanding?

My old understanding was a bit more naive, bias and wrong.
reasoning logic

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 07:13 am
Was your hero born on December the 25 ?

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 10:38 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
"Can you summarize the main difference between your old and new understanding?"

My old understanding was a bit more naive, bias and wrong.

But you still find value in it? What would that be?
reasoning logic

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 11:51 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
But you still find value in it? What would that be?

I find value in the old teachings. Life is not perfect neither were the old teachings nor the newer teachings but a person has to start somewhere.
0 Replies

shallyv

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
The so-called 'holy' Vedas of the Hindus seem to be nothing but hymns of praise to djinns (now called aliens) and prayers for wealth, cattle and children. The Trinidadian Nobel laureate, V.S. Naipaul (a Hindu by birth if not in belief) relates in one of his books how his grandfather, a Hindu contract laborer from India, received land from a European manager for enabling his wife to bear a child. In Guyana, there's a saying that 'coolie jumbie is the worst jumbie', meaning that Indian spirits are the most powerful spirits.
While Hindus recognize Brahma as the Supreme God, their priests invoke what the Moslem invaders of India called djinns. It's no wonder why the Moslems regarded them as idolaters.

Christianity was founded by Paul not Jesus. Jesus was the son of an alien with 'supernatural' (to man) powers the Jews called God. An alien fetus was implanted into Mary, unknown to her. A subordinate alien told Joseph not to put away his wife, Mary, as she was bearing the child of God. As the son of an alien father and a human mother, Jesus could command all spirits, whether angel, devil (djinn) or human. He commanded the spirits of Lazarus and Jairus' daughter to get back into their bodies. His disciples marveled at his ability to calm the sea and winds which had been roiled by djinns (devils) (like Katrina?). Before he was arrested he told those who had come to arrest him that his father could give him twelve legions of angels to defend him.
About Peter being the Rock, nonsense. A spurious insertion! Would he have the denying Peter build any church? A man who later caused a man and his wife to fall dead because they had kept back some of the funds they had received from selling their possessions. Paul caused a man to go blind (probably through hypnotism. Paul was not a disciple, did not ever meet Jesus though he most probably had heard of him). These disciples are to be revered according to Paul's 'Christanity'? Jesus, on the other hand, had raised the dead and healed the blind. About Paul's meeting Jesus on the 'road to Damascus'. Good acting by an intellectual, later relieved by someone who had never been heard of before and who disappeared immediately after "Paul, receive thy sight!": See also Genesis 3: 22.
The tree of life is the spine, protected by the muscles around it, just like the bark of a tree protects the core of a tree. The muscles of the back are being used from the time we get up until we go to sleep. Most people ignore the other muscles surrounding the spine, to their detriment, and suffer all sorts of illnesses resulting from poor circulation, indigestion, constipation, etc.
I welcome positive criticism.
neologist

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:05 pm
@shallyv,
shallyv wrote:
. . Jesus was the son of an alien with 'supernatural' (to man) powers the Jews called God. An alien fetus was implanted into Mary, unknown to her. . .
. . . constipation, etc.
I welcome positive criticism.
Gosh! I can't think of anything to say!
FBM

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:02 pm
@shallyv,
The truth has finally been told. Thank you for that.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 10:46 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Gosh! I can't think of anything to say!

Allah is great. Praise the lord
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:21 pm
Nothing underscores by belief about religion and humans practicing religion more that the Grand Tour of Pope Francis.

This guy is a Marxist ideologue. He might be a very nice Marxist ideologue but he is no more holy than any of us who post here. Neither is the Dali Llama for that matter.

The priesthood of any religion is an aberration.
Frank Apisa

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Nothing underscores by belief about religion and humans practicing religion more that the Grand Tour of Pope Francis.

This guy is a Marxist ideologue. He might be a very nice Marxist ideologue but he is no more holy than any of us who post here. Neither is the Dali Llama for that matter.

Aberration????
Leadfoot

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 06:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I would have to agree. Even the bible says "Call no man Father" and " let every man work out his own salvation". Now that I think about it, the NT has almost nothing about the priesthood in it that I can remember. Now I gotta go look...
0 Replies