Right-hand vs. Left-hand - Why?

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:03 am
Not sure if this is History, General, Autos or what, but here goes:

Why do some countries drive on the left of the road (RH drive) and some drive on the right (LH drive)?

Those that I know/believe to drive on the left are:

Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Japan

Are there any others? Why is there a difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 30,556 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:37 am
Quote:
About a quarter of the world drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies.

This strange quirk perplexes the rest of the world; however, there is a perfectly good reason.

Up to the late 1700's, everybody travelled on the left side of the road because it's the sensible option for feudal, violent societies of mostly right-handed people.

Jousting knights with their lances under their right arm naturally passed on each other's right, and if you passed a stranger on the road you walked on the left to ensure that your protective sword arm was between yourself and him.

Revolutionary France, however, overturned this practice as part of its sweeping social rethink. A change was carried out all over continental Europe by Napoleon.The reason it changed under Napoleon was because he was left handed his armies had to march on the right so he could keep his sword arm between him and any opponent.

From then on, any part of the world which was at some time part of the British Empire was thus left hand and any part colonised by the French was right hand.

In America, the French colonised the southern states (Louisiana for instance) and the Canadian east coast (Quebec). The Dutch colonised New York (or New Amsterdam). The Spanish and Portugese colonised the southern Americas. So The British were a minority in shaping the 'traffic'.

The drive-on-the-right policy was adopted by the USA, which was anxious to cast off all remaining links with its British colonial past
Once America drove on the right, left-side driving was ultimately doomed. If you wanted a good reliable vehicle, you bought American, for a period they only manufactured right-hand-drive cars.

From then on many countries changed out of necessity.

Today, the EC would like Britain to fall into line with the rest of Europe, but this is no longer possible. It would cost billions of pounds to change everything round.
The last European country to convert to driving on the right was Sweden in 1967. While everyone was getting used to the new system, they paid more attention and took more care, resulting in a reduction of the number of road accident casualties.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:38 am
Notice the part in bold. America didn't adopt driving on the right out of logic.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:40 am
Countries that drive on the left include.

Anguilla
Antigua & Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
US Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands Channel Islands
Cyprus
Dominica
Eire-Ireland
England
Falkland Islands
Fiji
Gambia
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Isle of Man Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
Lesotho
Macau
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Montserrat
Mozambique Pakistan
Namibia
Nepal
New Zealand
Northern Ireland Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Seychelles
Scotland
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Kitts & Nevis
St. Helena
St. Lucia
Surinam
Swaziland Tanzania
Thailand
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
Zambia
Zimbabwe
St. Vincent & Grenadines
Wales
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:42 am
Quote:
Why Does Japan Drive On The Left

It is considered certain that at least among Samurai warriors, left-side passage had been observed.
Left-side passage not only allowed right-handed Samurai to draw their swords more easily in case of emergency but also prevented two mutually approaching samurai from getting into a duel when the sheaths of their swords hit each other, which happened quite often in days of yore. Samurai ruled the Japanese society during Edo period (1603-1867). And left-side passage suited their peacetime lifestyle. So left-side passage could be considerably prevalent in Japan back then.
But this does not necessarily follow that non-Samurai people--farmers, craftsmen, merchants--strictly kept left-hand traffic. These people did not carry swords in the first place. Furthermore, it had been a traditional custom in Japan to put up nameplates on the right posts of the gates when you see houses from the outside. It had also been a traditional custom here to show names of the bridges in Chinese characters (therefore more politely) on the right posts of the bridges when one faced the bridge while those in Japanese syllabics on the left posts. Two Europeans ( Engelbert Kaempfer and Carl Peter Thunberg) wrote that people were keeping to the left. But it is possible that non-Samurai people were keeping to the right only when they came up against top brasses like Samurai or foreigners. People in Japan could be moving every which way with the exception of Samurai warriors.

In early 18th century, Engelbert Kaempfer (1651-1716), a German naturalist, wrote in his book called "Edo travel account" that left-side passage was stipulated on Japanese highways (Edo is an old name of Tokyo). He stayed in Japan from 1690 to 1692. He wrote "according to the Japanese custom, people who travel to the capital (including himself) have to keep to the left while people who travel from the capital have to keep to the right. This custom took root and became a rule."

In late 18th century, Carl Peter Thunberg (1743-1822), a Swedish botanist, wrote in his book called "Edo travel accompaniment" that left-side passage was observed by all travellers on Japanese highways and added that a clear-cut traffic rule like this had to be set up in Europe as well. He stayed in Japan from 1775 to 1776.

The most decisive factor in the Japanese history that brought about our present left-side driving came in 1868, when our isolationist feudalism was replaced by Western-style democracy (though it was nominal democracy back then). We realised our backwardness and started absorbing Western civilization like fury. The railway system was one of the most prominent intake from the West at that time. Three countries approached the then Japanese government in terms of the introduction of the railway system: USA, France and UK. At first France and USA prevailed but in the end UK swayed away Japanese government decision by offering a state-run railway plan which best agreed with Japanese officials' idea. In 1872 the first Japanese railway ran with English technical aid. It was, of course, left-side driving (at stations, I mean, the main line was single-track). This is proven by the photos or paintings drawn those days. A massive network of railways had been built ever since, all of which were left-side running. If American or French railway had been built, instead of English, we might have found right-side traffic in today's Japan.

But the left-hand traffic discussed above is still limited to railways. The biggest avenue that effectively promoted left-side traffic on the Japanese road system is considered to be horse railways, and its successor: electric tram cars. As you may have known, horse railways are stage coaches that ran on railways on streets. They first ran in Japan in 1882 with double-track railway. Since they were a railway after a fashion, they were left-side passage in Japan. They developed in a big way as street transportation, especially in major cities. In 1903 horse railways were started to be replaced by electric tram cars. But since they used the same railways as the horse railways, left-side driving continued. And they are considered to encourage other transportation to keep to the left down the road.

In the 19th century the Japanese laws and orders on the passage of roads seemed still confused. Stage Coach Order issued by the Tokyo Metropolitan Police in 1881 said mutually approaching horses and vehicles had to avoid each other by shifting to the left. But an order issued by the same Tokyo police in 1885 stated that general horses and vehicles had to avoid to the left but when they met army troops they had to avoid to the right. Japanese armies were keeping right on roads, as their ideas did, until 1924. Osaka government, which is the second largest city in Japan, issued an order in 1872 that horses and vehicles had to keep to the right of roads. It was not until early 20th century that left-side passage effectively took root among ordinary Japanese people. In 1900 Tokyoites arguably saw the first automobile run in Japan. An order issued in 1902 by the Tokyo police said for the first time that pedestrians had to keep to the left side of roads. 1907 saw the first Japanese killed by an automobile accident. A newspaper article dated January 1st of 1906 reads "we have recently seen the development of such transportation as trains, cars and bicycles. But it does not necessary accompany a corresponding street condition and we have seen increased traffic accidents. In light of the swollen danger on roads, Tokyo Metropolitan Police are going to enforce that same old left-side traffic on pedestrians in addition to tighter regulation on trains."
In a book called 'Origin of Meiji (a Japanese era referring to 1868 to 1912) things,' it was 1924 when left-side driving was clearly written in a law.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:22 am
Wilso wrote:
Notice the part in bold. America didn't adopt driving on the right out of logic.

So we basically have American & Napoleonic stubbornness to blame? Crazy! One benefit for us Brits (and you lot down there as well) is that we can import Japanese sports cars without any problems.

I'm not sure if it's just because I learned to drive on the left, but it 'feels' more natural to me (as a right-hander) to drive on the left, especially holding the wheel with one hand (right) while changing gears with the other (left). I wouldn't trust my left hand to always be steady or strong enough to hold the wheel expecially in ice/snow or on rough ground.

Have you any experience of driving on the right? I'm going to Tenerife in the summer and intend on hiring a scooter. It's probably easier to adjust on a bike than it is in a car.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:29 am
I would NOT do that if I were you. I'm a motorcycle rider, and while a car has the driving wheel positioned so that the driver is at the centre of the road, a bike has no such reference.

BTW, one the guys at work drives an American built mustang which is a left-hand-drive. There was a time here when to do so you needed a sign prominently displayed on the vehicle which designated it as such, but his has no such sign. You can register and drive a left hand vehicle here-but you've still got to drive on the left hand side of the road.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:43 am
Interesting. I rode 125cc scooters here for a couple of years, in rain, snow & sunshine so I thought shifting to the other side wouldn't be too hard.

I was taught to ride just to the left of the centre of the lane, to avoid the steep camber sometimes caused by heavy 4-wheel traffic on older surfaces, and also the diesel leaks from lorries. The plan was just to ride slightly to the right of the centre over there. You think not?

Having said all that, the Spanish (and all latin countries) drive like nutters so maybe a scooter/motorbike leaves you a bit more exposed to instant death than we're used to from living & riding in civilised countries like mine & yours.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:01 am
Here's a map

http://pielkenrood.fol.nl/x/wleft.gif

Below, a photo of the so called "Dagen H" on 3 september 1967. (H is höger, which is Swedish for right)
http://pielkenrood.fol.nl/x/hdag.jpg
It is not possible to proof if Sweden became safer by that or not. The Swedes already used right-hand cars far before the transition day.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:08 am
I don't think it was saying they became safe. Just that there were less accidents during the transition phase.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:14 am
Thanks Walter. Am I correct in deducing that 'Dagen H' translates in English as literally 'Day of the Right'? Does your photo show the vehicles moving from the left across to the right?

I've always admired the Scandinavians, and this proves me right, I believe. Even if the cost of converting Britain could be overcome, I cannot imagine the chaos and uproar it would cause: 'It's a threat to our sovereignty!' 'Bloody foreigners!' 'It's always been like this, why change?!' etc etc... You only need to look at the Metric/Imperial arguement we've been having here for the last million years to see how welcome it would be. Viva La Difference, I say.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:15 am
In India we dont drive on the left. We drive wherever we want or where there is space Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:17 am
G - Laughing

(like London then?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:22 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Thanks Walter. Am I correct in deducing that 'Dagen H' translates in English as literally 'Day of the Right'? Does your photo show the vehicles moving from the left across to the right?

Correct :wink:
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:43 am
Wilso's post is a bit of folly methinks.

From your very own BBC web site based on the book The Rule of the Road: An International Guide to History and Practice, Peter Kincaid, (Greenwood Press, 1986):

"America: by the time Europeans went there in numbers they defended themselves with firearms rather than swords, and it was probably more important to pass a stranger on horseback left side to left side. This made it easier to turn in the saddle and cover your back. It also helped the person riding 'shotgun' on the stagecoach. The matter was eventually resolved by Henry Ford. His ideas of mass production deemed that not only was the famous Model T Ford to be available only in black, but it was only to have the steering-wheel on the left."

Had nothing to do with "throwing off their British colonial past"... (We did that in 1776 thank you! There wasn't much need to do it again 130 years later when cars started showing up.)
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 08:21 am
Duke

I've driven and ridden a motorbike on both sides of the road...it's really not that different if you can just mirror your actions in the car (except pedals, of course!) and transplant yourself on the bike (remmbering that roundabouts go the other way!).

As to the safety of riding a scooter in Tenerife - Spanish roads and driving are notorious. Maybe check out the look of them before you make up your mind. You'd definitely be safer in a car.

If you do ride a scooter, at least wear a helmet, gloves and denim jeans/jacket - the best fabric short of courdura/leather for abrasion protection.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
Thanks KP. I'd planned on wearing jeans, and taking my scooter jacket (not armoured but well-padded) and gloves along with me. I might try driving for a couple of days first to get a feel for the roads. I have no intention on dying under the wheels of a loony Spaniard...!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 06:44 am
"One last thing lads. Remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road..."

Michael Caine - The Italian Job
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 06:45 am
"One last thing lads. Remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road..."

Michael Caine - The Italian Job
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 04:29 pm
I was all set to show my big surprise of which country changed from left to right overnight. And an army came before me.

I would like to add a couple of sidelights. It took amazing planning to make the change. Buses were altered to have the front entrance and driver physically changed. Signs were built, added, and covered until the change day arrived. On that day the new signs were uncovered and the old signs were covered.

I can't imagine any other country having the cool to do that.

More recently, the Swedes did a study of the value of having headlights on im the daytime.. half a fleet of buses had them off and the other half on. There was a statistical difference of lower accidents with the headlights on.
0 Replies