Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:24 pm
Is this what you think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/gilad-sharon-israel-gaza-op-ed_n_2155932.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,831 • Replies: 16
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Significant expansion coming. Very sad...

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/18/15252420-netanyahu-israel-prepared-for-significant-expansion-of-gaza-operation?lite
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:28 pm
By the way, for tags I put Gaza first.
Not that it matters, but interesting re the mechanics of it. I guess Israel is mentioned online more.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Israel is far more mentioned here at a2k then Gaza.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:51 pm
I know this is complicated past my own understanding, but obliteration is no answer.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 12:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Not everyone accepts the Israeli version of events.

Quote:
Today, 3 Israelis were killed as a result of rocket fire from Gaza.

This came after Israel had killed 13 Palestinians, including 3 children and a woman, and injured 115, including 26 children and 25 women since yesterday, 14 November.

This will be presented by Israel – and sympathetic or careless world media – as another justification for Israel’s attacks on Gaza to stop rocket fire. But this narrative is false.

Where there was calm and an effective truce, Israel chose to shatter it, bringing about the current deadly escalation.

In general, Palestinians fired rockets, or attacked the Israeli army, as a response to Israeli attacks, seeking to avoid escalation and publicly embracing a truce. Take a look at the sequence:

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/how-israel-shattered-gaza-truce-leading-escalating-death-and-tragedy-timeline

There's lots of other things going on, everyone knows about the January elections, but there's also the vote on recognising Palestine by the UN General Assembly, Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman has spoken of 'removing,' Mahmoud Abbas, whatever that means, should he go ahead with the vote. There's also the matter of the autopsy on Arafat that was due sometime this week.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:22 pm
@ossobuco,
John Snow intervieved Gilad Sharon about this very article on tonight's Channel 4 News. It hasn't been uploaded yet, but here's the link to the last week's worth of news.

http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:58 pm
@ossobuco,
popped in some more tags re Gaza
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:02 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm interested in the sequence, especially given election conditions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:19 pm
I have veered from pro Moshe Dayan (I thought it was Moishe) a long time ago, to having close to no sympathy at all for Israel. But that's not true, as I don't want Israelis, who I think differ among them selves, and people in Gaza to keep this stuff up.

A few years ago an israeli journalist who lost his son wrote a book, but I lost the link, and I remember being interested in his observations. I might have posted on it here, probably in the books reading thread. So far I can't find it
- son might have been an archeologist or some such,or maybe not, a young man doing his duty. I might have seen about this book in the Guardian.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, there is a We Don't Like Young Men banner at the bottom of the page.

what?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
The interview has now been uploaded, here's a link.

http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 06:42 pm
@izzythepush,
I can't read it, as my computer will not support the latest whatchacallit from adobe flash and cannot be upgraded.
I also can't see youtube, except once in a while, before they catch me.

This is fairly annoying.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 02:34 am
@ossobuco,
It was quite telling, not so much in the way John Snow laid into him, pointing out his references to Hiroshima and Nagaski, but the was the other side hasn't got a clue about presentation. A woman from the Eyptian government, with headscarf and limited English skills was not at all convincing.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 06:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Keep me clued in, eh?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:41 am
@ossobuco,
If Romney had won the election I doubt there would be a ceasefire now, and for that we should be grateful.

The only person who's come out of this looking good is the Egyptian president.
0 Replies