How old was the Virgin Mary when she gave birth to Jesus?

Smileyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 10:27 am
@One Eyed Mind,
One day people will read of our histories and each of us will be no more than a character in a story, an allegory to whatever our audience should decide.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 10:59 am
@Smileyrius,
That's because all heroes and wise men become a victim to people's interpretations and their own internal network of information.
Smileyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:02 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Could you suggest a method to correctly interpret these heroes and wise men?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:08 pm
@Smileyrius,
Yes, stop trying to remember the people individually and start remembering their ideas. The people are social and personal, they are not universal - they simply possessed a tool that had access to what is universal.
Smileyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:17 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
If a man unfocuses his lense and pays no attention to detail, how does one expect to see the picture more clearly?
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 02:21 pm
@Smileyrius,
Perhaps remembering wise man for what they did socially and personally is not even 1% of their actual value?

Einstein's ideas shaped this world.

Einstein sitting in an apartment did not.

Time, Patience and Omni-Reverence- that's all it took.
Smileyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:16 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Perhaps Einstein sat in his apartment would have shaped the world, had you paid attention to it.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:29 pm
@Smileyrius,
You're not understanding the fact that ideas came to Einstein. Wise men know as well as I do, when you break everything apart enough, there's a point where your brain takes the full time job at breaking everything down. Things come to you in ways it feels like the Universe is communicating directly with you.
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:58 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Intelligence is no substitute for knowledge.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:23 am
@Smileyrius,
Knowledge is not created - knowledge is attracted. The brain isn't creating information; the information already existed in the Universe. When we take care of the brain, it picks up better information; when we degrade the brain, the information it picks up will reflect that degradation. We are what we know.
Smileyrius

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 04:50 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
You are right, knowledge is not created, however it is not attracted, we are attracted to it, however inclined we are to be so. Knowledge is unchanging and uncompromising. For this reason, wise men quarrel all the time over what "is" when in truth what is, is. No idea, opinion or commentary can change what is.
0 Replies

Woman4Christ

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 05:34 am
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
Nobody really knows for sure. Some claim she was around 14-16, others say 12-14.

In my opinion I'd say around 16+, why because? I don't believe my God would make a virgin woman conceive if she is only 12 years old, her body would not be fully developed or ready. Then again I'm not God so I do not know.
Krumple

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 06:00 am
@Woman4Christ,
Woman4Christ wrote:

Nobody really knows for sure. Some claim she was around 14-16, others say 12-14.

In my opinion I'd say around 16+, why because? I don't believe my God would make a virgin woman conceive if she is only 12 years old, her body would not be fully developed or ready. Then again I'm not God so I do not know.

Well if god said 12 year old girls are ready then what would you say to that? Still hold to your notion that they aren't ready?

You could justify it and say young women back then were more mature because of how crazy society was that they had to grow up and mature faster back then so perhaps 12 was just the right age. Medically I think as soon as a female begins her menstruation cycle her body is essentially ready but I could be mistaken. Maybe another one of gods horrible design flaws where a woman can begin her period but her physical anatomy is not suitable yet for child bearing.

There are other scholars who have also suggested that she actually did have intercourse but during those days a woman who had sex outside of marriage was sentenced to stoning to death. So she was kept hidden which is why they ran from the cities and villages. Then she claimed she didn't have sex as a way to proclaim innocence to save her life. She would have fully known this as well that her life was in danger. So imagine you in that situation? Would you lie to save your life from a stupid law? This is one suggested reason for the immaculate conception concept.
0 Replies

Kelly Bloyd

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2016 11:46 am
@seaglass,
What if the Virgin Mary is a real life condition? What if someone say has a condition with the hymen attaching to the uterus before and after giving birth?
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:31 am
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
About the same age as Juliet in Romeo & Juliet. I know what you are thinking and I will spare you the embarrassment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 04:29 pm
Quote:
you will all burn in hell for this!!!!

You just validated the reason why your religion is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 06:02 pm
@mikey,
mikey wrote:

Then he called all the young men of the family of David, and promised Mary in marriage to him whose rod should sprout and become the resting place of the Holy Ghost in form of a dove. It was Joseph who was privileged in this extraordinary way.

Poor bugger, if it's not bad enough having to look after someone else's kid he's got a sprouty rod thrown in for good measure.
Krumple

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 08:26 pm
@Equus,
Equus wrote:

Modern Christians would say "Well, customs were different in those times- people died a lot younger and had to start earlier."

Wrong. You are repeating an error in understanding statistics.

Infant mortality rates were higher in the past which brought the average age down. People still lived to be, 60, 70, 80 and 90 at the same rate as now.

People just don't understand how to interpret data correctly.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 08:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Poor bugger, if it's not bad enough having to look after someone else's kid he's got a sprouty rod thrown in for good measure.

This reminds me of a limerick that I can't repeat in mixed company. Pity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 09:04 pm
@glitterbag,
The first dirty sex joke I heard was from a woman. Wink