How old was the Virgin Mary when she gave birth to Jesus?

irishmeadow2

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:15 pm
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
because (from what i hear) joseph was also a kid haha so like in todays world if a 16 yr old has sex with a boy under 18 she is fine. it is when the boy is over 18 and she is under 16 where it is illegal. or something like that...
Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 03:10 pm
@irishmeadow2,
Quote:
because (from what i hear) joseph

I guess you don't hear very well. Legend has it that Joseph was considered to be much older than Mary at the time Jesus was conceived. According to most sources (and there is more than one) Joseph was either in his early 30's or 40's. Thus in "today's world" he would have to prove the "God did it" story or go to jail.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 03:30 pm
These guessing games about what is scripted in the bible is really hilarious. Nobody knows when the Virgin Mary was born, or when she died, but all are making assumptions about "how old was she?"

She was supposed to be the saint of all saints, but nobody knows about her vital statistics. It's a sham.
0 Replies

craig55

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:18 pm
because they cant get jobs so they'll have to go on welfair lol lol
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:21 pm
If I were to impregnate some other man's woman, I would be subject to some colorful words and labels. Covetous, fornicator and father of a bastard son for a few examples. I would also be breaking a number of commandments.

Should God be labeled the same?
Should God follow His own commandments or is He exempt with a do as I say and not as I do clause?
In the secular world and in a, on earth as it is in heaven world, should a law maker be allowed to break his own laws with impunity?

Was using another man's woman for reproduction a moral thing to do?

Regards
DL
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:44 pm
@Greatest I am,
God said "Do as I say, not as I do."
Bangkok

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 03:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Wasn't Mary a lesbian?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 08:24 pm
By the way, if she was married, why was Mary a virgin?
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 08:36 pm
im sure im not the first to ask

but

Bib posted daily....... for a long time.......
And has not posted in 3 years.
his posts just automatically stopped..

odd huh.

Sorry.
carry on with your discussion Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 08:49 pm
@vikorr,
Good q. In many states today, if the marriage is not "consummated," they can declare incompatibility, and get their marriage annulled.
0 Replies

MacEarl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:57 am
@Piffka,
That was different. You said, "My grandma was married ..."
If she was ready for marriage, it was a good thing. Did she stay married for life?
One tradition is that Jesus was born on what we call April 1. Supposedly scoffers called those who believed in Jesus "fools," so it became "April Fool's Day."

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-35495 ...
MacEarl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:04 pm
@vikorr,
Go read the Bible account. Matthew 1:18, Luke 1:27
In the Jewish society, being "betrothed" was considered "married" but not yet consummated ("come together").
0 Replies

MacEarl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
God is not a man. Numbers 23:19, Hosea 11:9
He is not constrained (subject to) His laws He made for man. According to the Bible, God controls our conception and our demise. That is, He creates us and kills us. For us to do this is murder.
0 Replies

MacEarl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:10 pm
@Greatest I am,
Legislators are humans, just as are those they legislate for. They make laws in concert with the other legislators. Individually they are just (wo)men. God is not a (hu)man. He can legislate for (wo)men and not be subject to those laws.
0 Replies

MacEarl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:19 pm
@material girl,
It's UNMARRIED teenage pregnancies that are the target, not MARRIED. I notice that a number of posters here have difficulty grasping the difference between sex within marriage and sex outside marriage.
God is not subject to the laws He made for humans. When Eve was given to Adam, she was not asked if she wanted to have sex with this man she had just met. Adam did let her run around loose, getting into trouble with the lawyer/serpent, listening to his bad (but free!) legal advice. It was not until they had been evicted that Adam had sex with Eve, and still no mention of her consent. Guess he was bigger and stronger than she? Maybe she did consent?
In former times, a woman did not have to c0nsent to be married to some fellow. Her father sold her to a man he thought would make a good son-in-law and father of his grandchildren. Genesis 24:53 The man, now her husband, "took" her and had sex with her whether she consented or not. A woman could be whipped (not supposed to be hard enough to scar or injure her) for refusing to have sex with her husband. We've come at least a little way from then.
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:23 pm
This McEarl is a busy little joker . . . is he/she/it aware that this thread was started more than eight years ago?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:24 pm
@MacEarl,
Quote:
One tradition is that Jesus was born on what we call April 1. Supposedly scoffers called those who believed in Jesus "fools," so it became "April Fool's Day."

This isn't anywhere close to the history of April Fools.
Joe(Try again)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:21 pm
@MacEarl,
All very interesting points, especially that part of Eve didn't have a choice.

The more we delve into the stories in the bible, it turns out to be more ridiculous. Eve didn't have "free will or choice."
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 03:00 pm
@mikey,
the virgin birth is a purely pagan concept the scribes borrowed lock stock and barrel
0 Replies

favor

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:53 pm
@steissd,
I am so glad that someone had the knowledge to be able to reply with a moe respect for God. Thank you.
0 Replies