St. Patrick's Day Recipes

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 01:48 pm
@Ceili,
I don't recall anyone saying that it was a national dish in Ireland. It is a popular dish served by Irish-Americans on St. Patrick's Day, especially those on the east coast.
Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 01:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
I didn't say anyone did. I was answering my own question, where and when did it become associated with the Irish... My inquiring mind has now been satisfied, I now understand how and why it is popular with the Irish diaspora on the east coast, Canada included.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 01:57 pm
@Ceili,
when I used to travel a lot, I favored Irish pubs for dining and beer drinking activities.

I've eaten corned beef and cabbage in many a bar around the states on St Paddy's day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@Ceili,
I'd read that a factor in the popularity of corned beef in the estern U.S. had to do with the eastern European Jewish and Irish communities living alongside each other in the big cities.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:40 pm
@margo,
Back in the good ole Abuzz days, there was a lovely Irish lady who expressed an interest in Setanta. She thought she'd pique his interest by mentioning her soda bread.

Turns out soda bread is not a way to tempt Setanta.
0 Replies