Car Wont Start!!

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 06:43 am
2000 Cavalier with new battery. Over the past week the dash lights sporadically come off and on. Sometimes its 2 or 3, sometimes 4 or 5 with a couple gages going to zero, sometimes every dash light comes on and every gage drops to zero. Odometer diplays error if anything, and radio constantly cuts off.
Now this morning the car wont start. Was colder than usual last night, not sure if that plays in. Turn the key and all I get is the TICK TICK TICK TICK like the battery is dead, but it was just purchased 7 days ago.
Complete novice and any thoughts are appreciated. Let me know if more info is needed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,822 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:20 am
@version666,
If you heard a clicking sound, that's often an indication you need a new solenoid. I would call several garages and explain what's going on and get their assessment.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 09:46 am
@version666,
Have you heard any reports of UFO activity in your area recently?.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 10:17 am
@version666,
It could be the solenoid and starter as Mame mentioned. It could also be a short somewhere that is draining the battery. Do your headlights come on and are they bright? If so, then starter may be your first place to start. If headlights don't come one or are dim then it could be a dead battery.

It is possible to buy a bad battery. They are rare but do happen.
thack45

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 10:28 am
Or it could be the alternator. The possibilities a nearly endless! As parados mentioned about the battery, I've actually purchased a bad alternator before. Parts shops can test those for you before you buy them. Good luck.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:02 pm
@parados,
Yep, a friend of mine bought a bad battery at Crappy Tire - told her not to buy it there, but no, she wouldn't listen. Pain in the ass to go back.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 01:06 pm
@version666,
"Over the past week the dash lights sporadically come off and on."

this is probably a ground issue or a headlight switch. (not the only possibilities btw)

"Now this morning the car wont start. Was colder than usual last night, not sure if that plays in. Turn the key and all I get is the TICK TICK TICK "

your battery has run down again. most likely a short, draw, or bad alternator.

electrical trouble is usually best left to a trusted professional.

good luck
0 Replies