What's a humorous way for someone to recognize an out of work actor in a screenplay I'm writing?

parados

Sat 3 Mar, 2012 06:16 pm
@Muarck,
Of course. Becket had too much pot and Shakespeare was a hack. How astute of you.
Muarck

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:57 am
@parados,
Muarck to parados:
Quote:
There's a difference between creativity and too much pot. You crossed that line.

parados's response:
Quote:
Of course. Becket had too much pot and Shakespeare was a hack. How astute of you.

You're the one with delusions of grander, I belittled your work. And you felt that went right to an attack on Becket and Shakespeare. Again sorry: you're no Shakespeare.
stonehippo

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:23 am
I don't think you could do better than the Simpsons - ' Hi I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such films as 'Duck and Cover' etc etc
0 Replies

parados

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:12 pm
@Muarck,
Quote:
You're the one with delusions of grander, I belittled your work

My work? What work did I do? I merely suggested an idea that has been used before. You failed to understand it so I explained it.

I have no delusions of grandeur. I never said I was Shakespeare or Becket. I would suggest I gave credit to Becket for the idea since I specifically mention Waiting for Godot in my explanation.
Muarck

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:16 pm
@parados,
Waiting for Godot is a good play. Now, that you got me thinking about it, I can't believe Edward Burns hasn't remade it.
Your addition was the belief the critics would find it more meaningful to have an out of work actor not show up in a play. If you want critical attention you need: emotion, social, or political meaning. Unfortunately, that's not going to cut it.
And, yes: when I rejected your notion, you immediately assumed I looked down on you, Becket, and Shakespeare. I assure you: it's just you.
parados

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:54 pm
@Muarck,
Quote:
If you want critical attention you need: emotion, social, or political meaning.

Of course you do. I never said you didn't need those.

When comparing a car crash to a character that is talked about and never seen which has more social, emotional and political meaning? Now are you going to argue that those that prefer the car crashes would understand the social, emotional and political meaning of a character that isn't there but talked about? Of course the writing will change the amount of meaning the lack of character will have. Or the lack of writing.

I just find it funny that someone that comes on a website to get others to submit ideas for his scenes so he can take credit for them would lecture me about what constitutes good writing or good ideas.
Muarck

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:26 pm
@parados,
I lectured you about being a troll.
You knit picked on a phrase I used and were actually wrong.
As I note smart aleck without the smart.
And if you read my post: I'd said I'd give credit if someone came up with an idea.
Again if you're going to correct someone at least be right!
parados

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:21 pm
@Muarck,
Quote:
I lectured you about being a troll.

Yes, you did. You called me a troll even though I had only posted once on the thread. Hardly trollish behavior on my part based on the definition of troll.

Quote:
You knit picked on a phrase I used and were actually wrong.
As I note smart aleck without the smart.
You may think whatever you want. It's a free country. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean the other person isn't smart.

Quote:
And if you read my post: I'd said I'd give credit if someone came up with an idea.
And who will be getting the screen writing credit? A special thanks without designating why they are being thanked has no meaning. It does get their name on the screen but it's special thanks along with the wife that didn't nag too much during the filming. There is a difference between giving them a credit and giving them credit for an idea. But I guess that's me nit-picking a writer that is supposed to be good at words and their usage. I guess it's all about that "smart" thing again.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:31 pm
If you need your dialog written for you..

A: I've seen that guy before
B: Are you sure.
A: Yeah, but I can't place him.
C: Yeah, he looks familiar to me too. Hey, didn't he used to bartend down at ABC Bar?
A: You may be right. That could be where I've seen him before.
D: I wonder who is agent is? Or if he even has an agent.
A: Agent?
D: Yeah, this is LA every waiter and bartender is a wanna be or out of work actor or hack screen writer that just can't find the right answer to finish his script.
C: Nah, he's not a writer. He's too well groomed for that. Too well spoken too.
A: NO! I didn't see him tending bar. I saw him on that show... "Dinner and a Movie". I was flipping channels and he was in the clip they played of what was coming up after the commercial. One of those crappy movies, a couple of years old. Yah know. One where the script stinks but it's got a lot of action and car crashes.
Muarck

Fri 9 Mar, 2012 04:09 pm
@parados,
Parados,
That's pretty decent.
Maybe I have my sights set to high. I'm looking for something with a laugh-out-loud joke. It feels like it should be in there somewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:15 pm
I see I didn't reply here. I've known many out of work actors.
Some of them gathered at dinner at my house and pontificated about film or stage.

The pontification is the clue.

Whether or not you think that is humorous is up to you.
0 Replies