thack45

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 08:05 pm
@JLNobody,
Interesting..
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 08:15 pm
@JLNobody,
My objection to people doing as they please troubles me more than people doing as they please...
vikorr

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 09:25 pm
@Cyracuz,
Well everything has a consequence, does it not Smile
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 09:34 pm
@vikorr,
Sometimes it's hard to trust that others know that too.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 02:18 am
@JLNobody,
I like your thinking JL. Wink
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 06:04 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I like the way Crys came to terms with Fido's term, "form". That was constructive, Crys.

BTW, I, too I've have trouble with the idea of people doing as they pleased. But I like the idea of people thinking as they please.
It is not my term... It is simply one of those words we use, and correctly so, in a variety of fashions without out ever giving much thought to it; but since all change of a physical nature, and all human progress requires a change of forms it is a word people should use consciously... Jefferson uses the word in the declaration of independence, and if we will change our economy and form of government we must learn to speak knowing full well what we speak of... The enemies of change sow confusion... We must not do as they do, nor do as they say...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 06:09 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I like the way Cryacuz came to terms with Fido's term, "form". That was constructive, Cryacuz.

BTW, I, too have trouble with the idea of people doing as they pleased. But I like the idea of people thinking as they please.
Thought is nascent action... Life can be almost bearable so long as we keep our failures between our ears... It is all those who feel they must act first and think after who threaten humankind, and make us miserable...
0 Replies

kcookypr

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 06:44 pm
@Procrustes,
I’m 19 years old and since preschool I’ve said I wanted to be a teacher, until I hit highschool. My childhood dream of becoming a teacher faded when I faced the fact: teacher salaries are not keeping up with cost of living increases. After graduating highschool, I went to go pursue what I’ve always been taught to do: go to college, pick a good major, make good grades, find a good job, and make “good” money. Before I changed my paradigm from employee to entrepreneur, I (like most) bought into this misleading philosophy as well as the teachers who teach it to their students as well. After starting my own business, I decided to adopt a new philosophy to being both personally and financially wealthy:

Find what you love to do (your gift), and figure out a way to share it and give it to the greatest number of people who could benefit from it.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 08:55 pm
@kcookypr,
I do not have the kind of courage needed to be an entrepreneur. That's why I eventually went to the university in order to have the security of teaching at a university. I finally retired from that career and am now enjoying the freedom of a creative retirement. But if I had not done that I might have entertained the strategy of teaching in a public school and, in order to maintain a decent income, marrying a public school teacher (whom I loved of course). Our pooled incomes would have enabled us to live comfortably while working at intrinsically worthwhile professions.

By the way, mention was made of the importance of having a moral code to live by. I prefer to think that the best foundation for a moral life is the development of compassion. With that you are most likely to treat others humanely.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2013 03:08 am
@vikorr,
I must not have thought much about the question the first time - I should also add :

- every person is responsible for who they are, and for their own feelings and actions. Others and the environment provide contributing factors, while we maintain responsibility.

(that may sound simple and obvious, but the vast majority of the world does not live by it, for to understand it is to do away with blame, and is also to do away with 'you/he/she made me ####')

- there isn't a point in our life where we can stop growing / learning / training. Removing time, what holds us back from learning/acquiring skills usually fear. If we identify the fear, we can then deal with it.

- the 'strongest' people in the world are the most open and vulnerable. It takes strength to be open to criticism, to show who you are in every corner of your soul...knowing that people will criticise. It is not strength, but fear that makes us put up walls.

- (this one is a generalised rule/philosophy) what we have in our life is a direct reflection of who we are, that is : our wealth (or lack of it), our friends (or lack of them), our employability, our social life etc.

(this might sound obvious, but, for example, those envious of other peoples wealth either don't understand it, or don't take responsibility for who they are)

- even conflict can be dealt with respect and warmth (not that I live by this all the time - it's a tough one at times, but I do recognise it)

- everyone has what they consider to be valid reasons for what they do and say.

- peoples weaknesses are no reason for condescension. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Where I am weak you may be strong, where I am strong you may be weak....no matter how many strengths I have, there is a place in your life you are stronger...what reason then, would I have to look down on another persons weakness?

I'm sure there's many more for any given occasion, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

0 Replies

argome321

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:07 am
@Procrustes,
Since I cannot prove anything beyond my own merger existence my philosophy would be one of Life for Life sake. I was born with no decision in the matter, so I guess that was good enough and the only qualification for my existence, the only reason that I know of to live is to live for life sake. I don't have to look further for justification, I don't need any other a reason or purpose. I don't need to ask why I exist. I exist. Now what I do with that life, my life, is solely and entirely up to me. I am responsible for my life.

If others try to oppress me then I can decide to act, to endure or to rebel.
It is for me to decide how I want to live and pursue that course whether I succeed or fail the best I can. I am the arbiter of my life and my life decisions.

Every act flows from that belief.
My philosophy would be Life for Life sake.
0 Replies