8
   

Your philosophy in life

 
 
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:17 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
I've always had trouble with the idea of people doing as they pleased.


I am the other way. I've always had trouble with others dictating what I can and cannot do. It ignites something in the that makes me want to rebel.
I'm not allowed to have a couple of beers and then at the end of the night get into my car and drive home, because the law here says that driving with alcohol in your blood is strictly forbidden.

What I think is outrageous about this is that the law has removed my option to be make a responsible choice, because people think making the wrong one can cost too much.
I am perhaps an asshole since I do it anyway. Sometimes, if I've been at a friend's place and had a few beers, I take the car home. Other times, if I had more than a few, I leave the car and either walk or take a cab.
My point is that I have a lot of experience with alcohol and how my body reacts to it, and I have a lot of experience with driving. I am qualified to make a judgment of my own ability to safely handle a car. If I doubt my own ability, because of alcohol or the flu or for any reason, I don't get into the car.

The argument against this is that not all people are qualified to make that judgment, so the law has to be zero tolerance for alcohol and driving. That's taking it in the wrong direction. How can you create responsible adults when you remove the need to make responsible judgments in all areas of life where it matters? It is a practice that comes from people's inability to trust in others, and I think it's a damn shame.

If there are road signs pointing the direction to everywhere you want to go, you never learn to use a compass. This is as true for moral "navigation" as it is for travelling.
I read once of some sort of English saying, that if you kill drunk, you will hang sober; and it is because in making the choice to drink, you make the choice to do all that follows drinking... We have too much of law, and too little of accountability... Let everyone drive what ever speed they feel comfortable with, but throw the book at them if they kill some one or have an accident doing so... Punish stupidity and malice instead of taking rights from all...

I do not drive drunk or even buzzed... Naturally, I get to be the designated driver... Two beer down and I am all soft and fuzzy... And that is a good place to stop, only because I have found that the most common mistake is to trust ones own self...If you can reach the car without falling down, or taking more than two steps backward, you have my trust, and you can have your own accident...
0 Replies
 
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:21 am
@Cyracuz,
I can see where you are coming from with the responsible consumption of alcohol. Here in Australia we have a blood alcohol limit of .05, anything higher and you get done. But the way the government tries to tackle the situation is by raising the prices of alcohol. The same is with cigarretes. But the point I was trying to make is not everyone is going to make that responisble choice and sometimes others pay for those certain actions. We got no control over others but I'm not saying we should. It just troubles me when I'm trying to have a good time but it gets spoiled by fighting or something else. But that's life and all I can do is deal with it and move on.

Quote:
If there are road signs pointing the direction to everywhere you want to go, you never learn to use a compass. This is as true for moral "navigation" as it is for travelling.

I like this quote. It reminds me that some people don't want to use the compass at all.
0 Replies
 
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:30 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

In my opinion, your philosophy is a bit problematical. You have made for yourself a rather rigid system where everything has to conform to your notion of forms. Some pretty brilliant people have tried that over the years, and it invariably flares at the seams as reality, and particularly the aspects of reality relating to human emotional and intellectual life, are not so easily quantifiable.

You say that "Social forms like government or religion or economies are built out of moral forms like equity, or justice, or liberty, or life", and that seems to be a simplification at best.
Social structure, or social forms, as you call them, are negotiated between all members of a society.
Your idea of moral forms implies an underlying, unchangeable constant to which all things conform. Take 'justice' for instance. There are no absolute definitions of justice. What constitutes justice is also a matter of social negotiation, and often what some see as justice will not be seen so by others. What, then, is the value of the moral form 'justice'?
I agree that many people have tried and many have died... In considering forms, one must always try to define physical forms reflecting objective knowledge from moral forms reflecting subjective experience... I do not try to quantify them or define them... When people communicate it is with a sharing of forms, and from the point of view of any relationship, what two people agree is true is true, which does not mean that it is not objectively false...You mis-understand me if you think I think any moral form is in any sense absolute... It is only by a lot of faith and communication that I can say your definition of Justice is the equal of my own... What brings all moral forms into existence as meanings is simple human need... Honor is a primitive notion, and many today strive to live without it, and yet it still has meaning to many simply because many are still mired in the past, culturally; but for the most part, honor means because people always discover they cannot live without it, and fear to try to live in a world that cares nothing for it... To be technically correct, one would have to say concepts, forms, and ideas are the means people have of defining their reality... Since there is no real reality behind moral forms, neither are they true forms, as physical forms are true to some object... So; there are forms, and then there are moral forms which differ from true forms, which define physical reality...
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:31 am
@Fido,
I'm going to sound cheesy and say Bruce Lee's philosophy of "Be like water" resonates with me more than the philosophy of forms. We may have forms as you say but I think they are more fluid than anything else.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 08:50 am
@Procrustes,
Procrustes wrote:

I'm going to sound cheesy and say Bruce Lee's philosophy of "Be like water" resonates with me more than the philosophy of forms. We may have forms as you say but I think they are more fluid than anything else.
Well God bless Bruce Lee's soul; but he could not nearly so well define being as he could water which no one can define perfectly... Being for us is life, and life is a moral form which is to say: Impossible to define... Moral forms give us the ability to talk of the unknown as though it were known but in the end we can say we know very little... It is not that we should not try only because failure is obvious.....We can know of justice by many imperfect examples all having some justice in common... And we can know injustice from many imperfect example, all having some injustice in common...We can distill some sense of the thing, perhaps even enough of a sense of justice to live our lives free of violence, hosltility, or dischord... I do not think it is possible to ever make some great social form like law out of a sense of justice that will ever squeeze justice out of injustice without producing more injustice in the effort...

In social forms, if one should discover that people need and want justice, they find they can set a price on it, and they find that most people are willing to pay, even though paying for what one needs and should have, as essential as oxygen is to life, is itself an injustice until so many find that in the necessity of buying justice they have bought only more injustice, while justice is cornered to drive up the price...If the facts were considered, I think most would agree that justice cannot be bought, but that injustice is always for sale, and that the more money is wagered the less likely is the card of justice to be turned...
0 Replies
 
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 09:08 am
@Fido,
From what I understand, your use of the idea 'form' pretty much equates to the idea of 'concept'.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 07:29 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

From what I understand, your use of the idea 'form' pretty much equates to the idea of 'concept'.
Form is an ancient word, and concept rather recent, but yes, form, idea, notion, concept are all about the same and all have something in common... Only some forms are true concepts... Number is a true concept since the one in number must equate exactly to an individual thing in reality... All forms represent some knowledge, and as Kant showed, knowledge is judgement...

The thing is, that moral forms allow little judgement and represent little knowledge... We could talk from noon till sundown about God and know no more after than before for all our trouble...
Cyracuz
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 10:28 am
@Fido,
I think I understand what you mean by 'forms' now. I use the word 'concepts'. Thanks.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 11:03 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I think I understand what you mean by 'forms' now. I use the word 'concepts'. Thanks.
Welcome
0 Replies
 
arkk090
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 01:37 pm
@Procrustes,
I think we should all realize one thing that Death is the biggest reality of life and whoever one is or whatever one does, we all are gradually moving towards death. I mean really you can be dead anytime.
BOOM. You are dead. All your plans you have been making about your life are gone. All your hard work in pursuit of 'success' in this life has no meaning now.
Success in this life doesn't last long. Is success in this life real ? Or we are wasting
our life for something that is not going to last long something that has no meaning.
My point is if we make our decisions taking into consideration that we can die anytime then we will be able to make the right priorities in our lives. For me one should make an effort to give his best contribution to the society according to his abilities. Like a super intelligent scientist can make difference to the lives of millions but a normal guy looking after his wife & kids and helping his friends is doing an equally good job. We should try to make as much people happy as we can. As Rabindra Nath Tagore said LIFE IS GIVEN TO US, WE EARN IT BY GIVING IT.
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2011 11:21 pm
@arkk090,
Thanks for your words Arkk.
0 Replies
 
Fido
 
  2  
Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 07:09 am
@arkk090,
arkk090 wrote:

I think we should all realize one thing that Death is the biggest reality of life and whoever one is or whatever one does, we all are gradually moving towards death. I mean really you can be dead anytime.
BOOM. You are dead. All your plans you have been making about your life are gone. All your hard work in pursuit of 'success' in this life has no meaning now.
Success in this life doesn't last long. Is success in this life real ? Or we are wasting
our life for something that is not going to last long something that has no meaning.
My point is if we make our decisions taking into consideration that we can die anytime then we will be able to make the right priorities in our lives. For me one should make an effort to give his best contribution to the society according to his abilities. Like a super intelligent scientist can make difference to the lives of millions but a normal guy looking after his wife & kids and helping his friends is doing an equally good job. We should try to make as much people happy as we can. As Rabindra Nath Tagore said LIFE IS GIVEN TO US, WE EARN IT BY GIVING IT.
As slim a reality as it is, life is the reality, and death is only the negation of it... We concern ourselves with avoiding death, and our desire to hold life gives all the things of life their meaning... You may see that some people give the whole of their lives to the accumulation of Gold because Gold has great meaning to them, but they will part with all their Gold for a few moments more of life because life is the true value...The attitude of primitives was more correct and intelligent than our own... They could see their lives as the gifts of their communities for which the sacrifice of their lives was not only honorable, but desirable.... It was natural for them to avoid death under any circumstances, but individualism, just as individual life- was inconceivable to them... Their concept of self was more organic, and attached to their communities... There was no individual identity... To ask them who they were would earn a reference to their community... This is why ethics as a word is so like ethnic, and why it has the meaning of custom and character, things each person gets from his people... It was the most ethical act to dy for ones community, if possible, in battle, and a death is bed was a worthless death....Individuals live and die, but communities exist, or go extinct...
0 Replies
 
thack45
 
  1  
Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 08:48 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I'm not touching this one.
I wish some people had this philosophy...


And I understand from the OP that he didn't intend to use the word in the academic sense.
0 Replies
 
vikorr
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 04:01 am
Never stop growing, find the balances, and philosophy is used by me in my life.

Bring about my true nature in all things, put my all into all things, and create greater possibilities.
Procrustes
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 05:17 am
@vikorr,
Thank you vikorr for sharing. I too am dilligent in using philosophy in my life.
vikorr
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 06:05 pm
@Procrustes,
You're welcome. I prefer practical philosophy. I know plenty of people like academic philosophy, but it's purpose for me is enhancing my life in both passive AND active ways Smile
thack45
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 07:19 pm
Academic philosophy offers views which can aid in making one's existence more palatable (or not, depending on the pov).

Beyond that, never expect anyone to take care of you. These days, there's a nasty sense of entitlement being sold by the barrelful. The same goes similarly for obligation. Don't buy either one.
0 Replies
 
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 07:55 pm
I like the way Crys came to terms with Fido's term, "form". That was constructive, Crys.

BTW, I, too I've have trouble with the idea of people doing as they pleased. But I like the idea of people thinking as they please.
JLNobody
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 07:55 pm
I like the way Cryacuz came to terms with Fido's term, "form". That was constructive, Cryacuz.

BTW, I, too have trouble with the idea of people doing as they pleased. But I like the idea of people thinking as they please.
thack45
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2011 08:04 pm
@JLNobody,
Interesting.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
Paradigm shifts - Question by Cyracuz
 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/25/2024 at 02:36:27