Earthquake in Boston!

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:01 pm

it was funny, because they've been working on the facade of the building where i work, so i thought it had to do with that...

nothing on boston.com yet, but am seeing reports on twitter...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 8,697 • Replies: 58

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:03 pm

breaking news blurb on boston.com --
Quote:
Reports: Boston feels effects of 5.8-magnitude Va. quake
Izzie

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
Shocked

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
Oh my!!

5.8 is not nothing.

Everyone OK?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:07 pm
I felt it here in Toronto. Are you saying it was centered in Virginia?
sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:09 pm
@Setanta,
Oh I missed that. Seems like it. NYT:

Quote:

BREAKING NEWS2:04 PM ET
Earthquake Strikes East Coast; Epicenter Near Richmond, Va., U.S. Geological Survey Says

Wouldn't I have felt it too then? I've been dashing around the house, maybe I just didn't notice?

edit: so far I'm just seeing headlines (Yahoo, NYT, CNN), no details.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:12 pm
@sozobe,

i sit near an exterior wall, so i felt it.
but some of the guys sitting in the middle of the floor did not.
no after shocks -- so far.
it lasted a few seconds.

this is my 2nd earthquake, but the first one i was awake for... Smile
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
Pentagon/White House evacuated per headlines

we're on the 24th floor here in Toronto - the windows in the boss's corner office all shook
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Glad everyone's fine. Congrats on your first conscious earthquake! Smile

Evidently it was felt here too, I just didn't. A friend on Facebook who works downtown says she felt it on the 26th floor. ("Whee!")
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:14 pm
@sozobe,
I believe you're on a different plate. I'll see if i can find out. What you really want to pray for is that the New Madrid plate doesn't fire one off--it's been 200 years since the last major earthquake and your plate is gettin' really cranky.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:18 pm
@sozobe,
You're on a different set of "basement rocks," although immediately adjacent to the one which just fired off.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:19 pm
There was a smaller earthquake in Sudbury on Saturday. Both locations are a bit odd.

Sudbury's a bit of a centre for research of this stuff. Will be watching to see what comes out of their facility.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:23 pm
Quote:
An earthquake centered in Virginia shook the Eastern Seaboard just before 2 p.m., and was felt as a rumble lasting
several seconds in the Boston area. Some buildings in Boston were evacuated, while officials checked for damage.

The US Geological Survey said the earthquake measured 5.9 on the Richter scale and was centered 83 miles southwest
of Washington, D.C.

There were no immediate reports of damage in Boston, Boston police said.

The quake could be felt at the Globe offices in Dorchester and at Boston City Hall.

Hundreds of people walked out of US District Court in South Boston after having been ordered to evacuate the building.

“We have nothing happening unusual yet,’’ said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald, who also said
dispatchers felt the temblor.

“The phones are ringing off the hook,” said Mary Lynn Bibeau, administrator at Boston College’s Weston Observatory,
Boston College’s geophysical observatory.

The quake prompted immediate reaction in Washington, where office buildings emptied out and the Pentagon and Capitol
were evacuated. Reagan National Airport also was briefly shut down, one CNN producer reported via Twittter.
(boston.com)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

this is my 2nd earthquake, but the first one i was awake for... Smile

<snicker>
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm in New Hampshire. But I didn't feel a thing.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:35 pm
@rosborne979,

my BIL in maryland felt it, but reports no damage to his home...
rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm trying to remember what I was doing at 2pm. Must have been on the phone or something. My dog never even twitched an ear either. Must not have been very strong in this area.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:37 pm
Quote:
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck near Washington, D.C., the U.S.Geological
Survey said.

The epicenter was in Mineral, Virginia. Did you feel it? Send CNN an iReport.

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City and on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts,
where President Barack Obama is vacationing. Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City part
of which has been evacuated.

Traders in the New York Stock Exchange felt the shaking and shouted to each other, "Keep trading!" CNN's
business correspondent Alison Kosick reported from the floor at 2:20 p.m. E.T.

"Everybody was told to take the stairs," Wolf Blitzer said, speaking live at 2 p.m. E.T. from CNN's D.C. bureau.

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently,
hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack.
Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

Twitter traffic suggests the quake was felt all over the East Coast.

In Philadelphia, HunterPence3 tweeted, "Wow Earthquake just shook the entire locker room!"

In Cleveland, "tribeinsider" wrote "I'm no expert but i think we just had an earthquake here."

And even in Toronto, Canada, tweets said that the shaking could be felt for minutes.
(cnn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:42 pm
Quote:
Massachusetts is located in a “moderate” earthquake zone. Although they cause only mild to insignificant damage,
we experience several small tremors every year.

Scientists cite the Cape Ann Earthquake of 1755 (with a magnitude of 6.0) as the last major earthquake to cause
significant damage in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 01:13 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
My dog never even twitched an ear either.

Apparently, dogs take these things in stride. It made me vaguely nauseous, but the little dogs didn't even budge. They were snoozing out, and it didn't wake them.
0 Replies