"ENDING WITH" VS "ENDING IN"

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:06 pm
Dear Able2know.org:

In one of my letters, I used the phrase "card number ending with 5612". It was pointed out by our analyst that this was a grammatical mistake, the correct phrase was "card number ending in".

I was pretty much baffled. To demonstrate the phrase "ending with" is correct I offer the following example: "A sentence BEGINS WITH a capital letter and ENDS WITH a period."

It would be incorrect to say "A sentence BEGINS IN a capital letter and ENDS IN a period."

Neither would it be correct to say "My credit card BEGINS IN 5421 and ENDS IN 5612".

I would really be grateful if you could provide me answers. Also, can you include the reference for your answers.

Earnestly waiting for an answer,
Nikolai
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 14,671 • Replies: 9
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:12 pm
@Nikolai888,
'With' means accompanying i.e. with someone or something. 'Begin with' sounds better as you continue your journey you have the companion 'with' you. You don't 'end with' as there no more accompanying. It is like you carry a bag and when you reach the end of your journey you put down your bag. So you 'end in'.
Nikolai888

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:35 pm
@talk72000,
Hi There,

Thanks for the insightful response. I appreciate it. It makes sense. Do you have a reference for this, I mean a book or a grammarian of great reputation?

Thanks.

Nikolai
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:42 pm
You have to say "begins with" but you can say either "ends in" or "ends with". The "analyst" was mistaken. There is not a lot of written authority for idiomatic usages of this type. I am an educated native speaker of British English with nearly 60 years experience of normal usage.

You may safely disregard talk72000's reply. He sounds a bit like your "analyst".

Nikolai888

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:29 pm
@contrex,
Hi Contrex,

Thank you for your response. It is a pleasant coincidence that the letter I wrote was sent to an Englishman.

My analyst is not a natural British Speaker (so do I, English is our Second Language). . .and if I recall it correctly, he said that we must use ENDING WITH if it is not followed by a number, but if the object of the preposition WITH is a number then it should be 'ENDING IN', hence 'the credit card number ENDING IN 5612.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Nikolai

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:02 pm
@Nikolai888,
I agree with Contrex, and I would be baffled by the analyst's view myself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 12:10 am
@Nikolai888,
Nikolai888 wrote:
he said that we must use ENDING WITH if it is not followed by a number, but if the object of the preposition WITH is a number then it should be 'ENDING IN'

That sounds like a silly rule that somebody invented. Ask him for evidence. Even if it existed, which it doesn't, do you really think people would remember it? As an experienced native speaker, I give you my word that "ending with" and "ending in" are interchangeable and either can be used with numbers or letters.
Nikolai888

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:11 am
@contrex,
Surely I will ask him for some proof, maybe on Monday as he is invisible these days.

Contrex, I thank you for your time.
contrex

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:16 am
@Nikolai888,
I will make an observation - if you write a sentence e.g. "The Second World War started with the invasion of Poland and ended with the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki", or "My marriage started in passion and ended in murder", it looks better if you use the same word at "start" and "end".

As you can see, there are times when you can write "start in".

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 11:16 am
@Nikolai888,
Quote:
In one of my letters, I used the phrase "card number ending with 5612". It was pointed out by our analyst that this was a grammatical mistake, the correct phrase was "card number ending in".

I was pretty much baffled. To demonstrate the phrase "ending with" is correct I offer the following example: "A sentence BEGINS WITH a capital letter and ENDS WITH a period."

You can tell, first of all, Nikolai, that your analyst doesn't have the foggiest notion because this has nothing whatsoever to do with grammar.

You said,

"It would be incorrect to say "A sentence BEGINS IN a capital letter and ENDS IN a period."

It's certainly possible that what you've written, above, could be the convention for English, but it isn't.

You only have to look at direct translations from other languages to see that the same dictionary entry preposition can be used in the "strange" fashion you've used 'in' above.

Look at/in any dictionary, do an exact phrase google search and you will find that it's as natural as, as natural as, well, as natural as spoken and written English.

I'm going to end this post in song/with a song.

na na na na na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye.

0 Replies