Battery or Alternator

Montana

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:19 pm
Starting over the winter I started having to jump start my car every time I went out. I work seasonal 8 months out of the year and don't go out much in the winter when I'm off, so my car will sit for days (sometimes a week or so) without being used or started and I figured that's why I had to keep jumping my battery.
Now the warmer weather is here and I find it's getting worse, I figure it has to be either the alternator or the battery.
I've been told that if it's the alternator, it just goes suddenly and it won't keep the charge in the battery after I jump it and disconnect the plugs, but some say otherwise.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 04:12 pm
@Montana,
My thinking is that if the headlights seem normal at night, the alternator is at least fairly good.
Montana

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 12:08 am
@roger,
Good thinking Roger <waving high from the hilltop Smile > and I'm pretty sure my headlights are ok. Maybe and hopefully something as simple and cheap as a battery cable, but I'd be very happy if it was just the battery. So happy that I'd buy a new top on the line one for the excitement of not having to dish out hundreds on an alternator.
Been and expensive winter so far and that would be just another ouch on top of several.
So far my very reliable camry has been very good to me and I can't complain, just hoping the cost will me minimal.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:22 am
@roger,
You were right my friend. It wasn't the alternator and was the battery like I suspected. I now have a new top of the line battery and my car is back to her normal self, but even better. Even the radio and speakers sound better and clearer. The girl is a happy camper Smile
graceparker

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 04:00 am
@Montana,
I agree with you
0 Replies