Computer shut down problem

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 10:45 pm
Argh help please. I tried evreything. My computer shutdowns like *click* and is off. No shutdown proccedure. Its a 8 year old comp. I tracked it down to possibly being a problem with service pack 3. the office dont want to register for some reason. But I am not sire can anyone send me to a fix me link or something? Ask me questions I am comp noob Help please

dadpad

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 10:51 pm
What is your operating system?
win xp vista or win7?

when exactly does it shut down?

copy/paste any mesages
peter jeffrey cobb

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 11:34 pm
@dadpad,
xp model m7580n software 63nAemMPA2 hardware bom Onx111400 software bom na67. If that helps any
peter jeffrey cobb

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 11:36 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
out of the blue it will go *click* and it be off I had to reload damaged programs brcause of it. And it been doing for 2 months or so. I have tried evrey site i could think of. What ya think?
peter jeffrey cobb

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 11:47 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
It just did it again D; Is there a over heating function maybe?
dadpad

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 11:49 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Does it go off completly like you turned the power switch off?
any lights on anywhere on the tower? dont worry about any printer or screen they have their own power supply. i assumme its a desk top?

does it restart by itself immediatly,
Can you restart after a short (1 or 2 minutes) time or after a long(ish) time like 20 mins time.
This has been going on for some time. Have the stopages become more frequent?
0 Replies

dadpad

Fri 8 Apr, 2011 11:51 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Yes I think an overheating problem is most likely. the fans that cool the power pack and heat sink could be broken. the power pac may need replacing.

the vent holes could be clogged with dust.
peter jeffrey cobb

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 12:54 am
@dadpad,
Ill take it the covers off and blow dry it with no heat think that might work?
dadpad

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 02:34 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Probably not and it might damage the computer but thats what I would do just to see if it makes any difference. You can buy cans of compressed air for just this purpouse. If you have a narrow jet nozzel for your blow drier use that to concentrate the air stram a little. Be aware that static charge from your body can damage delicate parts. Some repairers use a static discharge mat but i think bare feet is just as good.

I suspect the damage is already done and will need a pro repairer to diagnose it.

Usually when this happens its time to look at/ consider new computer ansd weigh up the cost of the repair against the increased speed and stability of a new computer. Maybe a second hand one if cash is short.
0 Replies

mesquite

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:39 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Have you checked to make sure that the AC power cord is securely plugged at both ends?
peter jeffrey cobb

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 03:02 pm
@mesquite,
yes And I cleaned with blow dryer and so far so good. *knocks on wood*
Butrflynet

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 07:05 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Back in the day of Windows 95 I had an old computer with a failing cooling fan that had the same symptoms. I was able to help it limp along for almost a year until I could replace it by completely removing the cover from the CPU box and aiming a small desk fan at it to help keep things cool.

Another thing you can do is take it to a repair shop to see if you can replace the cooling fan with a new one. I've done that to other computers for less than $50.
0 Replies

MrSandman

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:18 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

the vent holes could be clogged with dust.

Likely that's the issue, and likely it is your PSU. When the CPU or main board over heat you'll usually get a blue screen of death. When the system just shuts down without warning, as if you lost power, it's the PSU 9 out of 10 times.

Since your PC is older, you'll need to make sure you get the right PSU to replace it. They are harder to find, but not that hard. I'd expect to pay about 75 to 100 dollars depending on the wattage you want.

I'm glad it's working for you. Hopefully it keeps on working. Current is a great conductor for dust, which is why those things get clogged.

Good luck!
Butrflynet

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:50 pm
@MrSandman,
FYI, Peter- PSU=Power Supply Unit
MrSandman

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 09:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you Butrflynet!! I should have explained. Good catch Smile
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:09 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I would also check the event logs for errors under the control panel administration tools tab.

I would enter the system bio at boot up time and see if the bio have a feature that monitor and show the cpu and system temps.

If so it will have a range of normal temps and I would just allow it to run in bio mode and watch the temps reading for a time.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:28 pm
Hehe this is getting comical. I have side panel open theres one fan i cant get to. Well I can but its encased and I think I might harm something if I open it. So Right now I got side panel open with fake ice bags on the side. The comp is upside down to knock off any dust. Does anyone know if I can open that encased piece without harming anything? The nomiclature is model atx-30012z-rev cdr
dadpad

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:48 pm
ALERT ALERT ALERT.

YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER OF ELECTROCUTION.

WATER (ICE) and ELECTRICITY DO NOT MIX.

i WILL NOT GIVE FURTHER ADVICE

Butrflynet

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:02 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I wouldn't.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 10 Apr, 2011 05:03 pm
@dadpad,
Agreed. Get the fake ice and any other liquids far away from the computer. Before you touch anything near it again, including the ice, please unplug the computer at the wall outlet before doing so.
0 Replies