The A2K Bulwer-Lytton Contest

Mame

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:28 am

This is an annual bad writing contest where entrants compose the first line of a supposed novel. The rules are:

Each entry must consist of a single sentence but you may submit as many entries as you wish. (One fellow once submitted over 3,000 entries.)

Sentences may be of any length BUT WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT ENTRIES NOT GO BEYOND 50 OR 60 WORDS, and entries must be "original".

Here's a link to some of the past entrants: http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/
~~~~

So, I suggest we do our own contest... here's my first entry (I'm sure you can do better): Note - they are supposed to be intentionally unintentionally funny.
~~~~

The thrum at the back and top of her head throbbed with a velocity and pointedness like a room full of vengeful, hyped-up acupuncturists.

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:08 am
@Mame,
Eugenia gravely flogged herself with a soggy grouper while she bathed in the putrid soup of her recently excavated ruptured septic tank.
jespah

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Alistair knew that, if he wished hard enough, Maria would be gone, and he would be left, by himself, in the hedge maze of his soul.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:57 am
@Mame,
Here I am again, facing the same decisions that changed the course of history so many years before.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:18 am
As I stood gazing at the college residence halls, outlined like black tombstones against the light of the cold December moon, it was clear to me that this was, indeed, a stark and dormy night.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:26 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Here I am again, facing the same decisions that changed the course of history so many years before.

I'm afraid to tell you this Rosborne but this sentence should be thrown out of the competition immediately! Mad

It's far too great a potential opening sentence therefore it disqualifies itself.
http://i54.tinypic.com/vgoabp.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 11:38 am
@tsarstepan,
As Jacqueline stood horizontally on her bed, sweating like a sweaty pig, she waited for the existential drift to shake the chat paradigm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 12:02 pm
It was an obtuse moon, hung over the garret, like so much wash.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:01 pm
He shivered in the bitter cold looking pensively at the pile of firewood stacked by the cabin door and thought wistfully of his axe, sitting on the counter of his workshop, and wondered hopefully if an electric carving knife would be able to slice off some kindling.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

I'm afraid to tell you this Rosborne but this sentence should be thrown out of the competition immediately! Mad

It's far too great a potential opening sentence therefore it disqualifies itself.
http://i54.tinypic.com/vgoabp.jpg

Oops, I didn't read the instructions carefully enough. (perhaps that's a better first line) Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

As I stood gazing at the college residence halls, outlined like black tombstones against the light of the cold December moon, it was clear to me that this was, indeed, a stark and dormy night.

No more calls, folks. I think we've got a winner!

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:31 pm
When I first met my father, I was 97 and he was 13.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:49 pm
@jespah,
I expect this opening line would belong to a sci-fi or fantasy novel in the The Time Traveler's Wife or Benjamin Button ilk?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:51 pm
@Eva,
Eva's self-decadence made her declare a momentary moratorium on Bulwer-Lytton Contest thread posts.
Eva

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 03:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
Leaving the organ donation center with her rejected, drug-addled boyfriend in tow, Lorena's razor sharp tongue pierced the air like an inexperienced surgeon, cutting deeply but not in the right place.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 08:57 pm
@Mame,
Like a clap of thunder, nay, like the report of a fowling piece, Senator Smith's dreams of reelection
were abruptly ended by an explicitly juicy CNN breaking news item that greeted him as he awoke to a
beautiful spring morning.
dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:39 pm
@neko nomad,
As the broken, bleary, addled, adipose yolk of the sad, cynical sun oozed bileously through the curdled clot of clouds, drawling their customary curses at the eternal ennui of the dismal, dingy, diurnal dawn display, Roger grunted and threshed his way towards that which he was accustomed to call consciousness, entoiled and embroiled in his sticky, foetid bed linen, his eyes encrusted with the exudations of what, in this fallen orb, passes for sleep, his tongue furred with the noxious tasting fungal down of fallen man and his hair-entrapped ears filled with the hell of this sub-lunary, Sisyphal, Stygian, stinking planet...the alarm clock.
neko nomad

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 04:35 am
@dlowan,
That's sooo Henry Jamesian, dlowan. Resubmit, svp.
0 Replies

Mr Penberthy

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:12 am
"I'm not really thinking of England, thought Lady Bogsworth, as the swarthy young gardener's hands wrapped around her heaving torso like a sweaty English Ivy."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:30 pm
Standing in the deeply darkened kitchen at 2AM, lit only by the refrigerator's open door and the glow of the sputtering street light just outside the window to his left and the hallway Miami Beach Palm Tree night light, Howard Mitchell, clad only in his glasses and a pair of black socks, remembered he finished the last of the red wine and wondered out loud if he had done the right thing by quitting smoking twenty-five years before.

Joe("Emma!" he shouted.)Nation
0 Replies