What's the best antivirus, antimalware, etc stuff I can buy?

snood

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 02:25 pm
I want to get one or maybe two programs that cover just about any virus or malware I could get infected with. What do youse guys use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 24 • Views: 5,589 • Replies: 16
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 02:49 pm
@snood,
Microsoft's free "Security Essentials" program is the best IMO. I have paid versions of Norton and McAfee but still much prefer it (the others do a bunch of very annoying security theater to try to make you think they do a better job than their competitors).
georgeob1

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 02:54 pm
@snood,
I'm not an expert- merely a satisfied customer. I have found that Norton and Symantech both have relaible products that are frequently updated and can be programmed to perform periodic automatic scans. You need to consider both your firewall and the anti virus sofware = these two providers include both in thier standard packages. The cost is about $70/year.

There are a number of free debugging programs out there. Malawarebytes and Spybot are examples and there are many others as well. I have used these two for removing viruses and related bugs - after the fact. They are pretty good. There are others as well that promise free preventive protection, but I frankly don't know much about them or how good they may be.

Good luck !
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 03:10 pm
@snood,
AVG is free and had done a good job for me and running your browser in a sandbox using such programs as sandboxie would be something I would look into.

Even IE browsers seem slightly less secure then chrome or firefox and you might wish to used them instead.
0 Replies

Delicia

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:52 pm
@Robert Gentel,
ABSOLUTELY the best.....and its free. NO anti virus, malware, etc is totally complete and fool proof as there is new stuff coming out all the time. Just keep updating as I do with Microsft Security Essentials which I highly recommend.
0 Replies

MrSandman

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:47 pm
@snood,
You're question isn't exactly easy to answer. I've been doing network consulting for over 10 years and have used Panda, Symantec (which used to be called Norton - they are the same company), AVG, and McAfee. Any are fine, really, so-long-as you keep the database current and update the engine whenever you can - updated virus definitions alone aren't always good enough.

That said, the best solution is smart internet browsing and computer use. With a little education, and caution, you can keep your PC safe. There are thousands of good articles on smart/safe internet practice which you can google.

Regarding MS security, it depends on your OS. For Windows 7, it's pretty good for home use. If you were a business client, I would strongly suggest an enterprise solution. Mind you, I don't get any money for selling AV solutions, but I do get money for cleaning a PC, Server, or network from malicious attacks. Wink

Good luck!
0 Replies

snood

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:57 pm
Thanks all. I'm going to try the microsoft essentials. Price is right, if nothing else Very Happy
rhymer

Thu 12 May, 2011 05:01 pm
@snood,
After many years of computer use, I have ended up with the combination of Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro (Firewall, Malware detect, email protect, web control, process monitoring, File and Registry monitoring and anti spam) along with Microsoft Security essentials (which other members also recommend).
I have run Windows 7 since it became available and have never had a blue screen of death or virus problem!
Yes, trojans and virus's have been detected and eliminated, but they have caused no problems!
0 Replies

MyViewpoint

Thu 9 Jun, 2011 05:25 pm
I'd recommend using the security suite that is probably provided by your internet provider. In my case, that is Charter Communications. These suites are usually free, but you do have to download it to your computer. It's not a mandatory feature.

If you need an occasional supplement to that then I'd recommend Malwarebytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
0 Replies

yamasaki4

Wed 22 Jun, 2011 09:46 am
@snood,
It is learned that a very interesting post.
tsarstepan

Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:14 am
@yamasaki4,
Welcome to a2k [able2know] Yamasaki. Smile
0 Replies

Trapti

Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:12 am
You can use AVG antivirus. It is the best one I have used.
0 Replies

Maxbond

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 06:08 am
AVG antivirus best antivirus for pc and it is freely available over the internet.It would be provides essential protection among the secure antivirus and malware.
0 Replies

oscarjpink

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 09:53 pm
i used some antivirus software and i see that the AVG software is the best antivirus.
0 Replies

Chris Mackenzy

Fri 1 May, 2015 10:53 am
@snood,
Microsoft security essential and McAfee, I am using both.
BillRM

Sat 2 May, 2015 05:49 am
@Chris Mackenzy,
Mcafee own comments about his former software......LOL

0 Replies

Maxbond

Sat 16 May, 2015 06:39 am
You can buy the Bitdefender and Eset smart security antivirus are the best antivirus which are most running in the market.They both are frequently updated and also performs periodic automatic scans.
0 Replies