Understanding time and space

RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:26 pm
Every time I think of time and space it boggles my mind. The universe is believed to be billions of years old, yet the light is traveling to us just now from the beginning of time.

How can this be? If light travels in a straight line it would seem the sky would be a blur of light? What makes the light seem to stand still? Why is the speed of light a constant? Why does the elemental universe of energy and mass dictate this?

Einstein talks about relativity, objects relative to light sources. space/time travel and dimensions seem like fantasy.

How are space and time interlinked?

Is it some sort of equation that has not been discovered yet?

The elements seem so stable to only be constructs of a smaller sub atomic world and that part of an even smaller world of quarks and black holes. Who knows how many magnitudes of order the particles and energy descend down into the vortex of physics.

It is inconceivable to think there was once no time. Will future people laugh at us for thinking such a thing? Like believing there are no microbes and that biology spontaneously comes into existence, like creation.

How many evolutions will the collective human mind go through, will we ever believe in eternity again? World without beginning or end.

It seems there are many beginnings in a long continuum that never starts or stops. Universes come and go but time in it most rudimentary sense never begins or ends. Suns, matter, light, energy etc all seemingly exist within the isness of all that is.

For science to declare such a ridiculous theory that ultimate time has a beginning seems to be the point where science becomes a religion.

Yes there seems to have been a "big bang" where our universe began but it began within a vacuum that had its own existence and reckoning of time and so on.

So the big bang was relative to the empty space it occupied. So the particle that started the big bang must have paled to the immense empty void that surrounded it. Thus our speed of light must be slow compared to the speed of the void. Is our speed of light likened to a piece of matter when it comes to the relative speed of the void?

And where does this get us? One day older and one moment closer to the great beyond.

It seemed science was on the verge of declaring the universe infinite when Einstein came along and through science theorized that time and space had a beginning. This gave credence to the Bible and its view on time also. In doing so it makes science seem somewhat fanciful and unreliably speculative.

Any thoughts? Smile

View best answer, chosen by RexRed
fresco

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 05:32 pm
@RexRed,
I suggest you investigate what you mean by the word "understanding".
RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 06:09 pm
@fresco,
It would seem human understanding is only one beginning within a whole slew of beginnings. Starting with theoretically hydrogen and leading to complex biology that can process information, reason and hopefully understand.

Many religious people accuse scientists of simply creating their own religion. But I know that science is based upon observation and not necessarily err, "revelation".

But there are rational scientists then there are (mad) scientists who burn black candles at night, ring bells and read the satanic verses while pretending to be clinical. Smile

If we could just turn methanol into ethanol.
RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:37 pm
The universe IS infinite.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:40 pm
The two people who hate me voted my thread down to zero again. I guess my "friends" don't vote me up. A2k does not love me. The feeling is mutual. Until a2k fires all their "troll" moderators who vote threads down. THIS FORUM WILL NOT GROW. That means get rid of the moderators and get some "impartial ones"...

mebe rex might come here more often.

Vote me down but don't say why? Afraid to face someone greater than you. As if my life is not sad enough.

I rule this forum and always have if you don't think I do challenge me buddy. Stop voting me down with your minions like a coward asshole. Come out! A2k and your err moderators SUCK!. Challenge my intellect you piece of **** coward.

SOMEONE VOTED MY THREAD DOWN!

do i not have a single ******* friend on "A2K" to vote my ideas back up?

MEBBE I WILL GO TO WAR WITH THIS FORUM IN GENERAL

net neutrality and cause a riot on facebook

don't' think I can't do that, it is just a matter of time and I will root you out.
RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 10:59 pm
If you A2K want me back within the next week and part of the community get rid of your HATEFUL MODERATORS! Not gonna put up with their ass any longer...

Sick your dogs off me or I will be gone and forever diss your efforts from then on.

Reign in YOUR moderators! NOW!!!!

Make them reverse their votes on my thread or reveal who they are so I can vote down their ****.

Or I will ask a liberal agency protest site to aid me in voting down your site in general.

set, dys, farmerman etc. get some moderate moderators or I will get bored and sick the public on you to shut you down.

nowhere on the net these days does someone vote and you can't see who is err voting or LIKES you...

how about your coward MODERATORS stand by their votes personally!

you might wonder why I always preface my remarks with how I have always hated this a2k site
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 11:42 pm
Let me know who is VOTING ME DOWN a2k. So i can retaliate at someone personally like they have done to me rather than your forum in general.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
How can anyone have a serious conversation here when dirty politics rule behind the scenes so much. If someone wants to vote others down let their vote be known so others can scrutinize their most vile critics threads (err, your moderators) in the same harsh manner.
0 Replies

gungasnake
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:15 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
It seemed science was on the verge of declaring the universe infinite when Einstein came along and through science theorized that time and space had a beginning. This gave credence to the Bible and its view on time also. In doing so it makes science seem somewhat fanciful and unreliably speculative.

Any thoughts?

Yeah: The universe IS infinite, and Albert Einstein was full of ****. Not only that, but the entire idea of a "Big Bang" is bullshit and nobody with anything resembling brains or talent believes it any more.

http://www.cosmologystatement.org

This century will see a return to classical physics.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:16 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
The two people who hate me voted my thread down to zero again. I guess my "friends" don't vote me up. A2k does not love me. The feeling is mutual. Until a2k fires all their "troll" moderators who vote threads down. THIS FORUM WILL NOT GROW. That means get rid of the moderators and get some "impartial ones"...

You've noticed that problem too; I thought it was just me.....
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:20 am
@RexRed,
Not the right way to go about it Rex, nevertheless I think your right on this one...one should be able to know who´s voting who...I on turn will vote you up regardless of your "steamed" approach...stay cool !

Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:24 am
It made me cry to have actual people reply to the contend to my post.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:26 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Yeah: The universe IS infinite, and Albert Einstein was full of ****. Not only that, but the entire idea of a "Big Bang" is bullshit and nobody with anything resembling brains or talent believes it any more.

http://www.cosmologystatement.org

The big bang and gun control go hand in hand Smile
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:33 am
Rex - just ignore it. I wrote a post that said simply 'Thank you' to someone who had paid me a compliment and it was voted down...what?!

I just laugh when it happens to me. What the hell is wrong with some people?

Here's a thing my nephew put on his wall on facebook and I copied and pasted it onto mine and now I'll copy and paste it here:

'An old man once said... there comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and the people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good...So love the people who treat you right, pray for those who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life. Getting back up is living!

I've been listening to a lot of spirituals/gospel songs lately. One of my favorite genres of music just because it celebrates the human spirit and striving and overcoming adversity.
You have a good voice for spirituals- you should try these:

I include the music because that's what always helps me - SO much more than anything else.

I've tried several times to vote people up - Dutchy on acronyms - stuff like that and it never works for me. The number never goes up - it just stays the same. So I just gave up.
I've never tried to vote anyone down.

In terms of this thread, I just don't have the capacity to conceptualize time and space, but I do think the question you asked about why there isn't a continuous stream of light through the sky is a logical one. I never thought of that.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:40 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

For those of us uneducated in classical physics - what exactly does it posit in terms of the universe and its origins?

I'd sincerely like to learn something about it.
RexRed

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:02 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

For those of us uneducated in classical physics - what exactly does it posit in terms of the universe and its origins?

I'd sincerely like to learn something about it.

Science wants to find an atom or quanta but every time they look deeper there is more to see...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:20 am
@RexRed,
As stated many times on this forum, "understanding" always involves "confidence in prediction and control". What we call "science" strengthens such confidence by extending and constantly revising webs of causal connections like the foundational structure of a building. Religion, merely lays claim to the nature of the "sub-soil" on which those foundations stand.

But at the end of the day, the key issue to "understanding" is that it relates to our cognitive pre-occupation with "control", and insofar that "causal mechanisms" elude us or cannot be "pictured", we delegate such mechanisms to an anthropomorphic "big controller" some refer to as "God".
RexRed

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:40 am
Adian your youtube videos meant a lot to me Smile You are an angel of comfort.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:41 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

As stated many times on this forum, "understanding" always involves "confidence in prediction and control". What we call "science" strengthens such confidence by extending and constantly revising webs of causal connections like the foundational structure of a building. Religion, merely lays claim to the nature of the "sub-soil" on which those foundations stand.

But at the end of the day, the key issue to "understanding" is that it relates to our cognitive pre-occupation with "control", and insofar that "causal mechanisms" elude us or cannot be "pictured", we delegate such mechanisms to an anthropomorphic "big controller" some refer to as "God".

Religion does not only seek faith but it also seeks truth.
fresco

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 01:49 am
@RexRed,
"Truth" is "what works".
"Infinity " is " that beyond which what we cannot picture".
"Time" is "that medium in which prediction and control operate".

These are all parochial by-products of human cognition which has allowed us to emerge as the most successful of adaptive species yet to have evolved.