What do you consider the best film of 2003?

couzz

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:00 pm
Now that the Golden Globe nominations are in they are casting light on the subject of what could be the best film of 2003.

The civil war drama "Cold Mountain" received the most nominations totaling eight. "Mystic River" and ""Lost in Transition" each received five followed by "LOTR: The Return of the King" and "Big Fish" (four nominations), "Master And Commander" and "The Last Samurai" (three nominations).

2003 has NOT been a banner year in highly creative film releases and because Hollywood thinks no one will remember any film beyond ten days after viewing, we are all subjected to last minute year end releases.
This year in particular seems to be the extreme with late year releases. The most nominated film "Cold Mountain" will not open until Dec. 25th. .. now this is a date that no one has any plans or obligations for, right?

Even though we are still waiting on "Cold Mountain" what film did you connect to or did you think was the best so far this year?

GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATIONS

Best dramatic film:
COLD MOUNTAIN
LOTR:THE RETURN OF THE KING
MASTER AND COMMANDER
MYSTIC RIVER
SEABISCUIT

Best musical or comedy film:
BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM
BIG FISH
FINDING NEMO
LOST IN TRANSITION
LOVE ACTUALLY
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,345 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 04:05 pm
'Return of the King" hands down.

Best musical or comedy: "Finding Nemo"
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 04:12 pm
well, im just disappointed that 'pirates of the carribbean' isn't included in the shortlist, as in my opinion, it has everything and is my favourite film this year.
Am seeing 'return of the king' tomorrow, and no doubt that will be amazing so i'd probably only go for that one as best film this year from the list myself.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 05:01 pm
Hello vroonika

Johnny Depp left a lasting impression with his performance in "Pirates of the Caribbean" and over all it was an entertaining film. It certainly was a popular favorite and it will live on through video and DVD.

I have not seen "Return of the King" or "Cold Mountain" yet so I am holding back on my opinion. My first choice so far is "Master And Commander" and it will be in my top ten films of 2003.

Please let us know how you rate "Return of the King" after you have seen it.
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:52 pm
I very much agree with your comments on Mr.Depp, couzz. He stole the show entirely and was and is still, amazing...and now back to my original point!
I saw 'Return of the King' the other night and it was very beautifully shot and the special effects were once again spellbounding. It is however a very long film to sit through, but that kind of comes with the territory, because of having to stay true to the book. Then again it is a film best watched on the big screen, so i do not regret the three hours i spent watching it. Having not read the books (yet) i cannot give you a comparison or tell you whether the film stays true, i can say though that I did enjoy it and would recommend others watch it if they liked the previous two installments.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 11:43 pm
I am shocked that Kill Bill hasn't been mentioned. In my opinion, it was the best movie of the new century. But that's just my personal taste. Bloody sword fighting beats horse racing anyday.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 06:39 am
vroonika:

Well, it looks as though you have not placed "Return of the King" to the #1 film spot for 2003.

There is something to be said for shorter films with focused story lines because they give you time to think during the film. But all this goes out the window when you see a great personalized acting performance every time Johnny Depp is on the screen.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:04 am
ye110man

"Kill Bill" is stylized personal work from Tarantino and probably in the modern "pop art" category along with the "Matrix" films. Basically they are more mechanical than soulful.

Films that fall into this category are rarely honored in the best film category even though they are box office winners.

I hope fans of "Kill Bill" will go out and rent the late great Bruce Lee's films which were the source of inspiration for "Kill Bill".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 03:46 pm
"Kill Bill" is satire for me -- a mixture of the stylized and chroregraphed violence of "A Clockwork Orange" and the Kung Fu genre with a wry, sardonic humor typical of the director. It makes fun of the desentization of violence just as "Pulp Fiction" did so successfully. To take Tarentino verbatim and not sensing that his tongue is firmly implanted in his cheek is missing the boat.
I agree, couzz -- it's pop art personified as it is exposing the banality of violence while entertaining us with that very element.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 04:57 pm
lightwizard:

I agree that Tarantino likes to apply the satirical approach in his writing and directing. Because he is an avid movie watcher of a wide range of films including older ones, he likes to adapt and put his spin on themes that attract him. There is really nothing wrong with resurrecting classic themes except I think some of the films he is inspired by are very close to being satires to begin with.

So as you can probably tell I am not a big Tarantino fan... I prefer the original gangster and Kung Fu films because they are crisper and not as overblown.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:14 pm
I'll vote for "Lost in Translation". I missed all the blockbusters, but "LiS" provides quiet pleasures.

And, for an emotional evening, check out "In America". I was bound and determine not to be affected by it. No way...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:18 pm
Seabiscuit.

I'm not a LOTR fan. Only saw the second installment, and find it about as monumental as the Star Wars and Star Trek series.

Mystic River was an excellent movie and its actors will garner some Oscars.

Master and Commander isn't my kind of flick, either.

Can't wait to see Cold Mountain; maybe it could change my vote.

Haven't seen any of the comedies.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:19 pm
I'm for LOTR but have not seen Big Fish yet, which I anxiously await.......
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:36 pm
I haven't read "Cold Mountain" but the film is getting very mixed reviews, some of them outright negative. Gene Shalit this morning really pummeled the film. Not that critics always have the right viewpoint on a film. I haven't read the book but Shalit's point that the character motivation was hard to believe is not making me want to rush to the movies. I wonder sometimes about the Golden Globes as I do about any awards. It's the voting body and whether one respects their opinon -- in the case of awards, one has to research who is actually voting otherwise it's just a bunch of anonymous critical minds.

I did love "Seabisquit" despite it's editing real history but imaginative created history of LOTR is and always will capture my affection.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 07:35 am
D'artagnan:

I agree with you on "In America". When I went to see the film I had no idea what an emotional roller-coaster ride I was going to take. It is one of the most memorable films of 2003.

"Mystic River" was also an emotionally based film but somehow "In America" really makes that personal connection.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 08:19 am
Lightwizard:

Your quote "I wonder sometimes about the Golden Globes as I do about any awards. It's the voting body and whether one respects their opinion -- in the case of awards, one has to research who is actually voting otherwise it's just a bunch of anonymous critical minds."

There has been criticism about the Golden Globes lately. I watched the TRIO (cable channel) mini doc about the voting members of the Globes and the show was not well researched and basically it was a punt.

Award nominations play a significant role in getting us to take stock. A lot us us don't often agree with some of the nominations but what it does do is pull the year in film together and it makes you think about what films spoke to you. And best of all is to hear what other film lovers like and why.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 10:52 am
It is the consensus that drives me to see a film I may not get up the initial energy to go so. "In America" is at the very top of my list and you just gave it another star in my book.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
More films for thought:

The American Film Institute and one of my local NYC newspapers picks their top 10 films of 2003.

AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE

The AFI Awards 2003, selected by AFI's 13-person jury did not indicate the AFI's preferences and were listed in alphabetical order. They include:
American Splendor; Finding Nemo; The Human  Stain; In America; The Last Samurai; The Lord of The Rings; The  Return of The King; Lost in Translation; Master and Commander; The Far Side of The World; Monster; Mystic River.

NEW YORK POST (Critic: Lou Lumenick)
Top 10 films for 2003:

1. "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING": The crowning achievement of Peter Jackson's superb adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy stands as one of the all-time greats in movie history.

2. "MYSTIC RIVER": Clint Eastwood makes our day with this searing meditation on guilt and redemption featuring unforgettable performances by Sean Penn and Tim Robbins.

3. "LOST IN TRANSLATION": Sofia Coppola's sophomore flick was simply sublime, with a sweet and sour Bill Murray as an unhappy movie star in Tokyo.

4. "THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE" and "FINDING NEMO": Irresistible triumphs of the animated art from France and Hollywood.

5. "SEABISCUIT": A thoroughbred adaptation of Laura Hillenbrand's horse-racing book, with Toby Maguire, Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper in the winner's circle.

6. "MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD": Masterful adaptation of two cult seafaring novels set in the early 19th century, expertly helmed by Peter Weir.

7. "COLD MOUNTAIN": Anthony Minghella reaches for the heights with an epic adaptation of the Civil War novel.

8. "AMERICAN SPLENDOR": Wildly imaginative version of a cult comic book starring Paul Giamatti and Hope Davis as a nerd couple for the ages.

9. "IN AMERICA": Irish filmmaker Jim Sheridan's autobiographical tale of a family in Hell's Kitchen is positively heavenly.

10. "CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS": Moviefone co-founder Andrew Jarecki turned the home movies of accused pedophiles into an arresting experience.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:29 pm
I want to know what was a remarkable year for the movies. Because every year it is the same thing "This year wasn't good for movies bla bla bla bla". What year was? I don't think there was one.

Best movie would be hard to say. I like several Retrun of the King, Praites of the Carabian, The Last Samari, The School of Rock, Finding Nemo-I thought it was a great year. But then again there is no such thing as a great year. They are all "dissapointments". Just like every summer is a dissapointment. Never have I heard anyone or any critic say "I loved this summer it had great movies?" Why? Negative negative people room this world. So why say anything about what occured in the past when everyone will already know what they are going to say, "Dissapointment."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:43 pm
We all know summer movies are aimed at the kids who are out of school. Who can come up with the
most overwrought, inane action flick? It's a contest. But sometimes I am surprised, just not this year.
0 Replies