What do you consider the best film of 2003?

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:03 pm
The Last Samari. Where did the beautiful tall Japanese come from, the Samari people? I liked the comparison between the Samari and Indian wars with the early Americans turned cowboys. Two ways of life on their way out.

A close second would be Cold Mountain, then SeaBiscuit.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:31 am
Lost in Translation.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:14 pm
My #1 choice for best 2003 film is "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World". Director Peter Weir brought us a thoughtful and exciting war movie. The depiction of all the men aboard the British frigate was as entertaining as the battle scenes at sea. Russell Crowe's intense but restrained performance as Captain Jack Aubrey should bring him another best actor nomination from the Academy.

#2 goes to "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King". Peter Jackson's third film of the trilogy is a cinematic visual masterpiece. This director has put his heart as well as his artistic talent into this film. With some judicious editing, this film could have been the best film of the year.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:32 am
We are getting closer to the possible best film of 2003. The Directors Guild of America has announced the five nominees for outstanding director and generally one of these takes best film:

Sofia Coppola/Lost in Transition
Clint Eastwood/Mystic River
Peter Jackson/LOTR: The Return of the King
Gary Ross/Seabiscuit
Peter Weir/Master And Commander
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:41 am
I thought Cold Mountain was the best picture I saw this past year.

Although I wouldn't be disappointed if Seabiscuit or even Mystic River won.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 08:40 am
PDiddie

I enjoyed "Cold Mountain" as well. The reason I did not choose it as my first choice was I felt distanced from the two main characters.. the director really did not get inside them so to speak.

The film was dream like in relation to Nicole and Jude's characters. Director Anthony Minghella works in the David Lean style but without introspective reality of the characters.

Sometimes it's hard to determine why you don't think a film is really great. But overall I do recommend "Cold Mountain" as I do one of Minghella's other films, "The Talented Mr. Ripley"(1999)
0 Replies

sirdrinksalot

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 06:24 pm
LOTR:THE RETURN OF THE KING if there was but a
better movie in that year than i did fail to see it !!
~
~ ~
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 06:26 pm
The buzz within the industry is LOTR: ROTK will win the Oscar.
0 Replies

sirdrinksalot

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 06:30 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The buzz within the industry is LOTR: ROTK will win the Oscar.

i do hope it dose win as it's way better than
any other movie of 2003 or for that matter
the last 30 years !!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 07:01 pm
People may have a problem with fantasy and it's somewhat sketchy characterization which I didn't find as a fault with LOTR -- they're imaginary characters, after all. Deeply felt angst just doesn't fit. However, for the sheer audacity of the endeavor, the exqusite production design, the astounding special effects and keeping the essence of the Tolkien storytelling, it's a masterpiece. It should be judged as one film for all of its parts. Bill Maher had it in for the film for the "pee" rating, saying he couldn't sit through such a long film about midgets without going to the bathroom. I suggest for those people that aren't fantasy oriented and think hobbits are midgets to stay home!
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:21 am
Lightwizard wrote:
People may have a problem with fantasy and it's somewhat sketchy characterization which I didn't find as a fault with LOTR -- they're imaginary characters, after all. Deeply felt angst just doesn't fit. ]

RE: LOTR:ROTK

Frodo, Sam and Gollum expressed angst on their travels to Mt. Doom which was the emotional core of "Return of the King". Gollum's character put the mental energy into "Towers" & "King".

I think the character of Aragorn was devoid of characterization and angst as he moved through his dutiful events. (This is not a criticism of Viggo Mortensen's performance.)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:47 am
I don't believe you can take anything a critic says seriously. The fact that they see EVERY movie has got to make them a bit jaded.
0 Replies