My relatively new battery won't charge

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:03 am
I have a '92 Cadillac Deville in January I got a new battery. One day it wouldn't turn over so I let it sit and it started right up. I took it to two mechanics who couldn't find a problem. It ran great after, even drove cross country. About two weeks ago it happened again I let it sit and it started. I figure it must be the starter. Today it seemed like the battery was dead so I tried to jump it. The first time I tried to start it the lights came on, but when I tried again no lights. I reconnected the jumper cables and it sparked on the negative. No lights again. Anyone know if this is the alternator or what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,400 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:18 am
@Bgirl107,
you will need a voltmeter to determine the culprit, most likely.

you can purchase one at most auto parts stores for around $25.

or borrow one from a friend...

If I owned a 92 Caddy, I would keep one in the glove box. you are due for lots of electrical oddities.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:54 am
@Bgirl107,
A lot of auto parts places will bring a testing rig out to your car and check your battery and electrical system for free. (Auto Zone and Advanced Auto have both done this for me over the years.) I would take it there and let them run it. The place where you bought the battery will probably also help you.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 12:00 pm
@engineer,
I agree that they can be helpful.

A coupla things to remember, though...

They work at a parts place instead of fixing cars as a technician for a reason. (this reason is not because auto parts stores pay well...)

Their job is to sell you parts.

for them to charge you for misdiagnosing your car would make for bad legal mojo...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 12:56 pm
This happened to me once, one of the cells in the battery was defunct. I charged that battery with in an inch of it's life and the freakin' thing blew up all over the inside of the engine compartment and all over the hood. Could be a bad battery is what i'm saying...
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:49 pm
@Bgirl107,
You could try cleaning the battery cables. Just give them a good rub, inside with a light sandpaper. You mightn't be getting a clean contact.
0 Replies