My Computer Shuts Off

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:42 am
I was advised more than once to put a fan on the open computer, even though the fan works. Did that and the computer shuts down immediately, faster than before.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:44 am
@Intrepid,
The only thing I had on there was a printer/scanner. I did disconnect it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:46 am
@Intrepid,
I have only seen one fan in there. It works very well.
Some of the stuff you are asking about, I have no idea how to test.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:47 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My computer shuts off, usually when I am trying to log on. It will not run long enough to get on line. I hit the start button and it mostly shuts off when I hit the enter button, with the computer asking "Start Normally?" I just replaced the power source, but it did no good at all.
My oldie started doing that and I came to the conclusion the hard disk was going bad. I grabbed everything I didn't want to lose and bought a Dell. I got it from the Dell website. They have some good deals.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:57 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

ed, I've got a machine doing that, but I am pretty sure it's a virus or worm.

have not had the cash to drop it by my guys yet...

That was the issue with my last computer, too. It was not staying on long enough to cycle through start-up.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.techmixer.com/avira-antivir-rescue-disk-download-to-clean-virus-and-malware/

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:29 pm
@DrewDad,
Went there, tried to do that. The computer lets the program get booted, but shuts off when I click for it to scan.
talk72000

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Get your Windows disk and try to re-install. For Win XP, there will be a first Repair request ignore it. Slowly proceed and look at the Windows requests. The second time it asks for repair do it. Windows will repair the Operating system.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:48 pm
@talk72000,
I will give it a try. Thanks.
Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's nice to see you still with us, Edgar. I was really worried with all the troubles you've been having.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:56 pm
I guess it could also be a problem with the on/off switch.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:58 pm
@Arjuna,
See page 1. Wink
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
It boots to the CD and then powers off?

If that's the case, then it sounds like a hardware issue. Try re-seating all of the memory sticks (take them out and snap them back in).
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:45 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

See page 1. Wink
I didn't see where anybody had mentioned that... did they? It would be an intermittant problem.

0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:20 am
Quote:
Overheating issue
Many notebook owners experience hardware failure in various Pavillion models due to overheating. The first symptom is usually a disappearing Wifi. Later failure of the graphics system and booting problems. HP does acknowledge this as a "hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000" notebooks, which is eligible for free repair. Other users recommend a "resoldering" of the nVidia GPU on the motherboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Pavilion_(computer)
Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 12:27 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Why did you pick that model? Because it's black?

Besides, Edgar didn't say it was a laptop. The clues at the beginning would exclude that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:15 pm
I am not discarding my computer. It still might have some life. But, I have spent money on it and gas money to use borrowed computers, with no end insight. My word processing experience is in the toilet. I am probably going to get a new one this weekend.
talk72000

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
As a last resort if it is only a software problem then take out the hard drive, get another hard drive and install a fresh Windows on it. Use this new hard drive to repair your old hard drive thru Windows. I have done it myself.
0 Replies