Soldiers who Suffered from PTSD Misdiagnosed as Personality Disorder

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:10 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

roger wrote:

What really happened goes back to the first director, George Custer. Just before leaving for the Little Big Horn, he instructed his assistant "Don't do a thing till I get back."
well maybe but I hear his orders when approaching Little Big Horn was "don't take any prisoners."

And they didn't!!!!
danon5

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 01:47 pm
@dlowan,
My goodness, a lotta people I remember from the old days - how are ya'all (had to put that one in, living in the S ya know) (We do that for the tourist trade)

The way I heard it was Custer said, "Where the F--- did all those Indians come from?"

I was in the Nam. It was approx two yrs after returning to the US that I suddenly awoke one night in a total sweat. That stayed with me for awhile. Last night was the latest. (That's a joke) Grin.......The sweat soaked nightmares were real. I dealt with it alone.

High Seas

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 04:22 pm
@danon5,
Danon - sorry I vanished for so long, and welcome to thread; am certain that the original posters here are glad to see you. Am traveling so login is erratic, but you and original posters here will really like this piece - not that much in it will be unfamiliar to you, sadly. Again, welcome back Smile
Quote:
....From your reading of Napoleon, you will recall that he would implore intelligence staffs to find “any information I might find of interest” and subsequently leave it to their initiative.

How pathetic! Today’s commanders can—and therefore do—rightfully demand ever-increasing amounts of quantitative information with which to eliminate uncertainties and disorder on the battlefield. For only when the highest echelon commanders are provided all of the information can they determine the appropriate course of action and issue forth appropriate tasks for subordinates. You can see that current technology has eliminated Clausewitz’s “fog of war.”

http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/21211/
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 04:30 pm
@danon5,
There's Danon!
High Seas

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 04:34 pm
@ossobuco,
So he is, and Patti was feeling somewhat better as of when I last heard Smile
P.S. to Osso, generally you don't post on military matters, but do read the linked article it's hilarious - and tragic, too....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 07:26 pm
@High Seas,
I'm watching MIDWAY with Henry Fonda and a whole slew of stars including Toshiro Mifune. They show the strategies of both sides, and how they used intelligence to plan their war strategies. My childhood friend, Sab Shimono, who my wife and I saw a few months ago in a play in Santa Monica plays a Japanese pilot in the movie. He also signed my MIDWAY VHS cassette jacket.

Will finish the show tonite before hitting the zzz's.
High Seas

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 12:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Midway..... The turning point in that entire ocean sub-war covering more than half the planet. Somewhere on A2K was a discussion - will look.
High Seas

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:04 pm
@High Seas,
PS I know George OB and Setanta posted a great deal on Midway but have no link; if either of them shows up please ask them directly. I only posted links to the Japanese records of that terrible battle (possibly also deep-underwater pictures of the Japanese carrier) but have no other info.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 01:47 pm
In MIDWAY the movie, which I believe is historically accurate, the win for the US took away the offensive capability of Japan which eventually helped win our war in the Pacific.
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 01:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well I found one picture for you - it's one of the Japanese ships sunk at Midway. Remarkably well preserved in its ocean grave:
http://www.amvetsww2.org/Assets/images/docimage/discovery_1-1.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 01:39 pm
@High Seas,
I wonder which ship that was? I think three of the four were sunk at Midway.
High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 02:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You're right - the CinC of the First Air Fleet, Admiral Nagumo, commander of the Japanese Strike Force, confirmed at the conclusion of that battle (you know of course we could read their codes) that he lost 4 carriers, 3 right next to Midway. I thought it fascinating he would suspend operations and signal his HQ in Tokyo each time the emperor's portrait had to be moved from one ship that was ablaze to another deemed safer.

Then there's the detailed account of information obtained from a captured US airman, born Chicago, aged 23 (see notes on link about his name) concerning the defenses of Midway and the number of US carriers, concluding laconically: "The ensign (air) died and was buried at sea". That's one of the saddest lines ever written in warfare - and brings us right back to the topic of this thread Smile http://www.history.navy.mil/library/special/midway.htm

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The wreck of the USS Yorktown has also been found - 5,000 meters (almost 17,000 ft) underwater. This is a picture of its superstructure:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/midway/images/findings_images_3.jpg
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/features/98/midway/

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:11 pm
@High Seas,
It would be interesting to hear georgeob provide his personal views about the Midway battles.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 06:35 pm
maybe it's just me but I'm seriously doubting that any Midway personnel suffer from PTSD or Personality Disorder.
High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 07:40 am
@dyslexia,
The battle was won, casualties were relatively light, the one POW died (the Japanese source doesn't specify how); these seem to be the main determinants. I'm not sure how you can tell that none of the 16 "invalidated from service" had any form of PTSD in addition to his injuries, though.
Quote:

Battle of Midway
KIA / Wounded, died later / Died, POW / Invalided from service

Navy 301 8 1 15
Marine 39 1 0 1
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq11-1.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:20 am
@dyslexia,
That may be true, because most of the battles were not face-to-face or hand-to-hand.
0 Replies