Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 05:39 pm
@msolga,
Moir:

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/11/21/2787455/port-590493607-600x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 05:54 pm
Oh, one last thing...
Just heard Greg Sheridan (The Australian) talking to Jon Faine on local ABC radio ...
He said: Julia Gillard has had two very good weeks. And furthermore, he personally approved of her achievements during this time.
Really.
What is the world coming to? Surprised Wink
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 06:16 pm
@msolga,
Results of the latest Newspoll:

It's now clear what needs to happen: Labor retains Julia as leader & ditches all its policies.
The Libs ditch the Mad Monk but retain their policies.
Hang on, they haven't got any policies!
If you can figure out these results you're a much smarter person than I am. Wink

Quote:
Gillard shades Abbott as preferred PM
Posted November 22, 2011 07:21:11/ABC News online

A new poll shows the Coalition has pulled further ahead of Labor, but Julia Gillard has edged ahead of Tony Abbott as preferred prime minister.

The latest Newspoll, published in the Australian newspaper, shows the Opposition Leader's rating as preferred prime minister has slumped by five points to 35 per cent, while Ms Gillard's position has risen one point to 40 per cent.

It is the first time in five months that Mr Abbott has trailed Ms Gillard in the preferred prime minister stakes.

However, the Coalition has pulled further ahead of Labor on a two-party preferred basis, 57 to 43 per cent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-22/abbott-approval-drops/3685456
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:07 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Every single vote counts at this point.

Stay tuned!

Just heard the latest ABC radio news report.
The Mining Tax is being debated in federal parliament right now.
According to this report there may be a result as early as tonight.
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 03:58 am
@msolga,
Quote:

Gillard-Greens mining tax talks inconclusive
By Stephen Dziedzic/ABC news
Updated November 22, 2011 20:30:18

The Greens says a vote may not be held tonight on the Federal Government's mining tax, as talks to reach a deal with the Prime Minister prove inconclusive.

Greens Leader Bob Brown says the Government has not accepted any of the suggestions he made about ways to raise the $20 million-a-year shortfall in the mining tax.

Senator Brown is withholding his party's crucial support for the bill until the Government finds a way to make up the revenue it lost when it agreed to independent MP Andrew Wilkie's demand to lift the tax threshold from $50 million to $75 million.

He held talks with Julia Gillard this afternoon but says they did not reach an agreement.

"We don't want $100 million cut from schools and hospitals or child care over the forward estimates," Senator Brown said.

"We've put forward half a dozen options, but the Government has rejected these - including raising the mining tax rate from 22.5 per cent to 22.7 per cent to make up the shortfall.

"There is $1 billion in infrastructure monies tied up with spending of the mining resources tax - just 2 per cent of that would be enough to make up the shortfall which otherwise is going to have to come out of public services like schools and hospitals."

Senator Brown says negotiations are expected to continue but that "debate in the House might not be concluded tonight". ...Cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-22/greens-fail-to-reach-mining-tax-deal/3687302
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:06 am
@msolga,
Phew! Smile

Gillard, Greens reach deal on mining tax
Updated November 22, 2011 22:48:22:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-22/greens-fail-to-reach-mining-tax-deal/3687302
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:02 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Mining tax bills pass Lower House
Updated November 23, 2011 08:27:17/ABC news online

The Federal Government's mining tax passed through the House of Representatives early this morning after a late-night deal was struck with the Greens.

The tax will apply to iron ore, coal and petroleum, but the Opposition has promised to repeal it if it wins Government.

It finally went through the Lower House early this morning after a special extended session of Parliament.

The legislation will now go to the Senate early next year.

The Greens agreed to back the deal after receiving assurances about how the Government would cover a $20 million shortfall on the original revenue forecasts.

The shortfall emerged after independent MP Andrew Wilkie negotiated an amendment to raise the tax's threshold in a move he said would be more fair to smaller mining companies.

The tax will now kick in when a company makes $75 million per year in profit rather than $50 million.

The Greens will not give details of how the shortfall will be covered but MP Adam Bandt says the party is satisfied that it is a "progressive measure and that the savings will now not be coming from schools, from childcare, from hospitals."

"I'd like to tell you what that offsetting measure is, but the Government has said that they'll make that announcement in the next couple of days."

Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan says the tax is in the national interest because the revenue raised will help fund tax breaks for small business, higher superannuation and infrastructure projects.

"If we want to leave a stronger Australia for our children, if we want to build the nation, then it takes brave policy proposals like this which spread the bounty of our country to every corner of the nation," he said.

"This is what is required to build a prosperous Australian nation in the 21st Century."

Opposition finance spokesman Andrew Robb has defended the Coalition's decision not to back the mining tax, saying rescinding it will be one of the first things a Tony Abbot-led government would do.

"The spending commitment tied to this mining tax will be unsustainable," he said.

"The mining tax will never deliver the revenue in the years ahead that is necessary to meet those commitments, and yet again we'll be back borrowing money for the reckless spending initiatives of this government."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-23/mining-tax-passes-lower-house/3687770
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 05:59 pm
@msolga,
The Libs are going to have an awful lot of rescinding to do, if they're ever elected.

In the meantime, I think Tony has just about run out of Labor policies to yell "No!" at. What's he gonna do for the rest of this parliamentary term? Wink

Quote:
Opposition finance spokesman Andrew Robb has defended the Coalition's decision not to back the mining tax, saying rescinding it will be one of the first things a Tony Abbot-led government would do.

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/11/23/2791004/Moirwed-620x0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:14 am
Dear Oz a2Kers,
I am bowing out of this thread.
Why? Because I recognize that talking to one's self is a definite sign of madness.
And that's what I've been doing. Talking to myself.

My concerns don't seem so crazy when I engage in conversations at the AGE, or at the ABC discussion sites ..... but they do here.
No one responds here.

So I will leave things as they are here.

hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:21 am
@msolga,
Sad Olgs - you're the only way I keep up on the news. Life is too insane to sit in front of the telly at the moment.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:11 am
@msolga,
Naaawwwww. I drop in to read your posts, msolga.

Love some of the cartoons too.

Often the articles really don't elicit a response from me, or my response would take some thinking time to put together.

It's a busy world for some of us, and I do appreciate the effort you put into your research and presentation.

Will miss that if you go. Sad
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 05:10 am
@msolga,
Dear msolga, just because you don't get any responses doesn't mean you have no followers, I read every one of your submissions because they make interesting reading. I certainly am interested in politics but like to keep my views to myself and not show my ignorance in a public forum. Smile Please keep us outsiders informed of your views of the political scene, I do appreciate your efforts greatly.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:22 pm
Thanks, you guys.
It's good to have some feedback. And some discussion, now & then, too.
It was beginning to feel like obsessive posting in a total vacuum.
(Well OK, I admit I'm a little obsessed about Oz politics & don't need much encouragement! Wink )
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:25 pm
@msolga,
I am a frequent viewer but rarely post. Keep it going.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
RJB! Smile

(did you receive the results of my coin tossing effort yesterday?)
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:35 pm
@msolga,
Yes, thanks.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Oh good!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 06:24 pm
Best thing on the last series of Chaser - particularly love the graph showing how much pokies take as opposed to the Carbon Tax (without compensation) The Alan Jones crowd should hang their heads in shame.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 06:27 pm
Posting moratorium over.
Jeez, that didn't take long, did it? Wink Laughing

But I just watched this (lengthy - 20 minutes) interview with (former PM) Paul Keating from last night's Lateline, & just had to share it with you!
Fascinating perspectives.

Like:
Keating doesn't see the installation of more US troops in Darwin as a problem, but sees Obama's speech in the Australian parliament as a declaration of a US "policy of containment" of China by the US.

He states, very strongly (while being a strong supporter of the US/Oz alliance & the US presence in our region ) that the Australian parliament was a totally inappropriate place for the declaration of US foreign policy ..... that essentially that speech was for US domestic consumption, not something that Australia should have been implicated in at all. And that our standing as an independent "middle power" in the region has been compromised as a result.

He says much more, in his inimitable manner ... some of which I agree with & some not (like approving the sale of uranium to India.)

Well worth a look:

Quote:
video: Paul Keating welcomes the rise of China
Updated November 24, 2011 00:00:00/Lateline/ABC

Former prime minister Paul Keating says China must be welcomed into the world as a shared partner and a vital economic power, not a military or political challenge to be contained.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-23/paul-keating-joins-lateline/3690258

-
Builder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 08:57 pm
@msolga,
You might have seen this one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-17/china-indonesia-wary-of-us-troops-in-darwin/3675866

I'm surprised that our PM favours an ally over our largest trading partner.

It's not uncommon knowledge that China is the reason we survived the 2008 financial fiasco, and are currently doing better than other western nations.

Does the US of A buy much product from Australia?

Last I heard they were screwing us over with wheat prices.

Nice to think they would protect our collective arses, but if it came down to the real crunch, I'm not so sure we would matter that much to them.

Locality is all we really have to offer the US military. We provide their bases here with an "eye in the sky" for their sattelites for recon only.