Why People Seek Solace In Gods.

johne sapien

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 08:56 pm
@mark noble,
1) Have you ever sought God? In the extreme ways i have read/witnessed people have searched for God, no. But during my trials (both personal and empathetically affected by external factors), I have questioned the ways of the universe and how the world could be so awful.

2) Why? When you're young/inarticulate in the matters of every aspect of life's hierarchy, from yourself, your immediate environment, to sociological and global scales etc., you face a lot of morbid realities than you are not equipped to define just yet (if ever). As a thinking, feeling and evolving individual, you tend to ask the complex and hard questions with an emboldened "why?"

3) Did you find what you sought? Yes. Not just through God, through my own research diving into several facets often from proven sciences and coalescing the information with my own spiritualisms.

4) Are you still looking? Yes and No. I can now confidently stand by my own proclamation of being an agnostic. I believe in something higher, but also ground myself in accepting the responsibilities of my decisions and the consequences that follow suit because of it.

5) Are you convinced that there is a God? I am convinced that there is something other worldly. By experience.

6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER? No.

7) Do you sin? Yes.

8) Do you believe in an afterlife? I have yet to properly define my beliefs in this aspect. But the beliefs in reincarnation through Buddhist and Hindu beliefs rest soundly in my fundamentals.

9) Have you ever had an epiphany? This is a vague question, but gauging my answer towards the topic, my own epiphany was finding articulation in my agnosticisms.

10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search? Life as I know it, as it comes day, every year.
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:38 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
1) Have you ever sought God?

Yes.

Quote:
2) Why?

We all search for something don't we?

Success
Recognition
A spouse
A friend
The next high
The next low

Just to name a few. Our percieved needs are based on our percieved lacks, and that is what we search to fill.

Quote:
3) Did you find what you sought?

No. The truth found me.

Quote:
4) Are you still looking?

I seek the truth daily. Some days a little harder than others, as finding it is not always a pleasant experience.

Quote:
5) Are you convinced that there is a God?

Yes.

Quote:
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER?

I follow my faith according to the convictions of my heart. I found out rather quickly that "to the letter" as you are referring to is an impossible feat for anyone.

Quote:
7) Do you sin?

Yes.

Quote:
8) Do you believe in an afterlife?

Yes.

Quote:
9) Have you ever had an epiphany)

Yes.

Quote:
!0) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?

No. The truth was the last thing I was looking for at that time. Primarily due to the traumatic experiences I had been through.

0 Replies

CrisTianUk

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:31 pm
@mark noble,
1) Have you ever sought God? yes
2) Why? problems with bad spirits
3) Did you find what you sought? yes
4) Are you still looking? no, i was given instruction
5) Are you convinced that there is a God? this question doesn't makes sense to me.
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER? if this means if i believe that the word of God is written by him then Yes
7) Do you sin? YES
8) Do you believe in an afterlife? yes
9) Have you ever had an epiphany) YES
!0) Did a traumatic experience flower your search? no
0 Replies

CrisTianUk

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:34 pm
@gungasnake,
God is Eternal true but some advice here: make sure you don't believe in God because of that fly experiment , " God should be sought by word only" a fly experiment should not make you believe in God.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:09 pm
@CrisTianUk,
Quote:
God is Eternal true but some advice here: make sure you don't believe in God because of that fly experiment , " God should be sought by word only"

I agree with you and your reference to Allah and the prophet Mohamed. 10 thumbs up.
0 Replies

steven bill

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 01:27 pm
@Joe Nation,
you never saughted God, if you did fear would have never been the result. you saught the wrong denomination and church. The false kind devote perent kick their children in to.
steven bill

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 01:32 pm
@rosborne979,
No, he was there a spirit, but you were expecting flesh and blood.
0 Replies

beantownmike

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 11:35 am
@mark noble,
Well Sometimes...

It's because a whole church will go to neighborhoods at night in large numbers & swarm anyone who is outside with bibles aggressively saying "Come on lets go pray come with us" & "The True Religion" trying to aggressively get people to go with them.

I'm not even kidding this happened where I lived numerous occasions to the point where I threatened filing lawsuits for harassment if it continued.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 12:32 pm
@steven bill,
Quote:
you never saughted God,
God is an abomination to the world. Gods assaulted the minds of too many, and many wars were started on his behalf.
Quote:
People also ask
How many wars are started by religion?
According to the Encyclopedia of Wars, out of all 1,763 known/recorded historical conflicts, 123, or 6.98%, had religion as their primary cause.
Religious war - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Religious_war
Also,
Quote:
How many died in crusades?
1.7 million
Tens of thousands of people (both soldiers and civilians) were killed in the conquest of Jerusalem. The Crusaders themselves suffered; historians estimate that only one in 20 survived to even reach the Holy Land. It is estimated that 1.7 million people died in total.Feb 6, 2015
0 Replies

Galli

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:47 am
@mark noble,
ITEM 1 yes; 2 I was living in a catholic environment; 3 I fi you mean reason to satisfy my curiosity yes; 4 no; 5 no; 6 I am a free thinker; 7 first define what you consider sin; 8 no; 9 yes; 10 not understood
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 09:13 am
@mark noble,
Quote:

Hi All,
Why, indeed? Have you ever sought God?

I would be happy indeed, if some of you would take the time to answer any or all of the questions below.

1) Have you ever sought God?
2) Why?
3) Did you find what you sought?
4) Are you still looking?
5) Are you convinced that there is a God?
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER?
7) Do you sin?
8) Do you believe in an afterlife?
9) Have you ever had an epiphany)
!0) Did a traumatic experience flower your search?

All your replies will be gratefully appreciated.
Thank you, and journey well.
Mark...

Sometimes the questions we ask reveal our own biases. Your bias is that you believe the religious people are afraid and unsettled, and use religion as a security blanket. Let me disillusion you.

People seek out religion because life is made of objective and subjective components. Things like gravity work regardless of how strongly you want them to be otherwise, likewise no matter how much anyone says Trump or Biden is not your president, as long as they took office they kinda are. These are called objective reality. They are facts. An atheist believes that there is nothing but objective reality (this belief is subjective, it is an opinion). But actually, when one looks at such reality closely enough, there is something missing.

1. If everything is a result of cause and effect, then in order for something to start, there has to be a First Cause somewhere. A being or law that is something that is not caused by something else. Atheists never examine this.
2. While events play out the same way for everyone, a believer who views life as something that persists after death looks at a car accident and doesn't see a tragic end, but sees a reality that is more than just what we can see.
3. If objective reality really is all that there is, that only the empirical world of the senses can be trusted, why do we have thoughts and feelings and opinions? These are part of a world that can't really be seen or heard or tasted or touched or smelled.
4. The growing sense of pointlessness. In your thirties, you work hard to acquire stuff. You get married, you earn money, and you raise children. You follow the same path as your parents, and your grandparents, and their parents and grandparents. You never question things. In your eighties, with life behind you and a house filled with stuff, everything you did was meaningless. The job you had at a newspaper place, well people don't read newspapers much anymore. The novel you worked on wasn't published and all of that time was wasted. Everything you work for would be gone with your death. What then, is the point of living? There must be more of a reason to life than what we see.

On to your questions:
1) Have you ever sought God? No.
2) Why? I didn't seek God because I grew up in the church. I took it for granted that there was a God. What I didn't expect to find was a personal relationship with God.
3) Did you find what you sought? Of course.
4) Are you still looking? Not really. But after COVID, I'm looking for a renewed relationship with other people, who seem to think avoiding others is socially acceptable (quick hint: it's not. Get back to life and living)
5) Are you convinced that there is a God? Yes.
6) Do you follow your faith to the LETTER? Christianity teaches that all of us fail and fall short. So no, I make no such claims.
7) Do you sin? Yes. See #7 of your questions.
8) Do you believe in an afterlife? See #4 in my reasons above. If there is no afterlife, then whatever we do is pointless.
9) Have you ever had an epiphany? I don't think that is essential to faith. But sorta?
10) Did a traumatic experience flower your search? No. And this is why I say these questions are biased. It seems you have some idea that religious people are somehow traumatized and using faith to cope.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 09:18 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
5) Are you convinced that there is a God? Sometimes, I think that god is actually a group of adolescents from an advanced and gigantic-sized culture who play Dungeons and Dragons with this planet as their board.

(I roll 1d20 and add my Wisdom bonus... Failed check. )

My character says "Nahhhh, that's nonsense! How could you think something like that?"
0 Replies

Galli

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2021 03:25 pm
@mark noble,
DREEMERS , SOME FIND SOLACE IN DRAGS OTHER IN RELIGIONS
Galli

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:53 pm
@Galli,
Religion is like a drug, each one uses it, they need it but they don't know why !!
I think it is the best way to delegate responsibilities (i.e,. IT IS A GOD WILL
0 Replies

popeye1945

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 09:30 am
@mark noble,
Mark, People seek solace in gods because children are comforted by the thought that mommy and daddy are near, and there is nothing to fear, someone is going to take care of them. The atheist says, come on people it's time to grow up.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 09:39 am
@popeye1945,
No, time to open the popeye. You are going blindly through life until you do.
popeye1945

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 09:49 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot, WHAT????????????????????
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 09:51 am
@popeye1945,
See what I mean? Rhetorical question.

Open!
popeye1945

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 04:11 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot, Did you get this revelation from the talking snake?
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 05:10 am
@popeye1945,
popeye1945 wrote:

Mark, People seek solace in gods because children are comforted by the thought that mommy and daddy are near, and there is nothing to fear, someone is going to take care of them. The atheist says, come on people it's time to grow up.

"The atheist?"

What do you mean by that?