Another "God" question

de Silentio

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:39 pm
@Sentience,
Sentience wrote:

Personally, if God exists, I believe he is completely neutral, amoral, and transcended.

Here's an essay along those lines:

http://www.philosophypathways.com/newsletter/issue120.html
0 Replies

melonkali

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:48 pm
@Wozz,
Wozz wrote:

First off, sorry if this post is repetitive and a duplicate of one already posted.

My Professor in Logic said something to me today that had me stirring. I was raised Lutheran and although I will be the first to say I am far from a faithful Lutheran I still tend to defend my religion. My question is this: If God exists why does he let things like the oil spill in the gulf occur or the holocaust? I'm hoping someone has a witty response I can give my Professor or even just something I can converse with him about. Thanks

This thread is filled with wise and well-thought answers, things I'll need to go back and consider. Still, my off-the-cuff addition: as has been pointed out, the New Testament makes it clear that Satan is the ruler of this world. If Satan were not the ruler of this world, Christ's temptation in the desert would have been meaningless. Christ does not say that Satan does not have the ability to give Christ the kingdoms of this world -- he just declines.

Apart from natural "evil", which I haven't studied (apart from the scripture that it rains on the just and the unjust alike), I have noticed that in the general use of the term "evil", human intention or action is implied. That would seem to place the human mind as the vehicle of, perhaps even the source of evil, would it not? What do you think?

rebecca
0 Replies