Another "God" question

mark noble

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 03:32 pm
@Mister Turnip,
Mister Turnip;173510 wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not buying that bit about light being the absence of darkness. I guess that technically it's true, as in not-not-A equaling A. But darkness can only be defined as the absence of light, whereas light has unique properties in and of itself independent of darkness. The same goes for good and evil.

Hi Mr turnip,

What about "Dark Matter"?
Anyway, How can you class "Good" as a thing, and not "Evil" - That just appears biased. Either they are both things, or they are both not things. Just because you believe that "Good" is cancelled out with "neutrality" doesn't make it so. I could say that "Evil" is cancelled out with neutrality - Again, doesn't make it so.

Don't you think a generally relative spectrum of opposition is important? Causality seems to work well enough to be accepted as a principle law of nature, after all. I don't think we should try changing that just yet. Do you?

"One man's Good, is another man's neutral" No! No! NO! Don't go messing with my silly subjectivisms - They're all I've got...ha-ha.

If you want to see it your way - That's fine by me. I respect every person's point of view.

Have a brilliant evening, Mr Turnip. (Why "Mr Turnip"? anyway)

Mark...
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;173432 wrote:

Why do you and so many others see your biblical God as a one-sided coin - Have any of you read the bible? God created "Good" and "Evil", "rape, paedophilia, murder, torture, pain, anguish, eternal torment, hell", etc, etc, etc.
God is the Author of ALL THINGS, there are no other AUTHORS.
"By HIm, For Him and Through Him...All Things!"

Excellent point. When we judge the world as evil, we judge "God" as evil. Certain religion break "God" into pieces, call the piece they don't like "Satan."
This is the source of much confusion. Humans waste the years trying to wash the blood off their hands, but our hands are always already bloody. We are part of this Totality, part of "God." Heaven is a state of love/beauty achieved on Earth by humans who forgive themselves and one another and their deaths. They can forgive death when they stop thinking their little face and fingerprints are what's important in them. Love is the highest state. Love is the flame. The other stuff is melting candle wax. But this is too simple. We all want afterlives and righteousness. We want an escape. But there is no escape, unless we want to live in our daydreams --which isn't always bad of course, but won't float the boat in the end, or won't get you all the way there. Heaven is here already, if we will wipe the cobwebs from our eyes. Smile
mark noble

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;173521 wrote:
Heaven is here already, if we will wipe the cobwebs from our eyes. Smile

Hi Reconstructo,

One word "ABSOBLOODYLUTELY"! Well said, sir, indeed.

Keep being fantastic, my friend.

Mark...
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 03:54 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;173533 wrote:

Keep being fantastic, my friend..

Same to you. It's a pleasure having such a bright spirit around. Smile
0 Replies

Mister Turnip

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 02:26 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;173521 wrote:
Excellent point. When we judge the world as evil, we judge "God" as evil. Certain religion break "God" into pieces, call the piece they don't like "Satan."
This is the source of much confusion. Humans waste the years trying to wash the blood off their hands, but our hands are always already bloody. We are part of this Totality, part of "God." Heaven is a state of love/beauty achieved on Earth by humans who forgive themselves and one another and their deaths. They can forgive death when they stop thinking their little face and fingerprints are what's important in them. Love is the highest state. Love is the flame. The other stuff is melting candle wax. But this is too simple. We all want afterlives and righteousness. We want an escape. But there is no escape, unless we want to live in our daydreams --which isn't always bad of course, but won't float the boat in the end, or won't get you all the way there. Heaven is here already, if we will wipe the cobwebs from our eyes. Smile

No offense, friend, but this seems like less of a philosophical break-down of an argument and like more of a series of unjustified assertions. I might agree with you on every count, but lets back up our claims with justification, eh? Just as in the case of the religious believer, saying that a thing is so does not make it so.
Neil D

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 09:20 pm
@Wozz,
Wozz;169768 wrote:
See that's a good point because his conclusion was God does not exist because he does not partake in the world events. But how do you argue anything for God? We don't know if there is a God let a lone what God is. He could come right back and say "well show me this God"

God may be just a creator/initiator of the universe and nothing else. We should be careful in assigning human characteristics to the creator. If in fact there is one.

Not many people that I know will attempt to give a theoretical description as to what God "is". I on the other hand let the theoretical physicists do the work for me, and then I run wild with their ideas. For example, we know the Big Bang was the initiation of the inflation of the Universe. We just dont know what caused it. Its a theory that at the time before the Big Bang. All the four fundamental forces of nature: Em radiation, strong/weak nuclear, and gravity. Were combined into a single force, referred to as the Superforce. Maybe this Superforce initiated the Big Bang. Maybe it is the God I seek. There is much speculation here of course, but I at least consider it.

Perhaps this type of God would be a creator God and nothing more.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 09:22 pm
@Wozz,
Wozz;169673 wrote:
First off, sorry if this post is repetitive and a duplicate of one already posted.

My Professor in Logic said something to me today that had me stirring. I was raised Lutheran and although I will be the first to say I am far from a faithful Lutheran I still tend to defend my religion. My question is this: If God exists why does he let things like the oil spill in the gulf occur or the holocaust? I'm hoping someone has a witty response I can give my Professor or even just something I can converse with him about. Thanks

because god does not exist
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@Mister Turnip,
Mister Turnip;173873 wrote:
No offense, friend, but this seems like less of a philosophical break-down of an argument and like more of a series of unjustified assertions. I might agree with you on every count, but lets back up our claims with justification, eh? Just as in the case of the religious believer, saying that a thing is so does not make it so.

No offense taken! Here's the thing, though. Ethics cannot be caught in a net, in my opinion. There is simply a limit to what can be proven. I don't see how proof is more than effective persuasion. The ideas we hold true are for us while they are held true the intelligible structure of our experience.

I don't have any proof or need of any God, as this God would just be, for me, a mere concept, a mere proposition. I think concepts, for all their glory, can distract us from the beauty available in sensation and emotion.
What does the truth or falsity of the God proposition really mean? I for one do not believe in Hell, Heaven, or Afterlife. This makes a difference. yes. So in this case, I am an "atheist." But atheism is associated with materialism, whether it should be or not. And I think materialism is a much cruder superstition than theism. Why? Because sensation and emotion are irreducible. They just aren't concept. They are something else. And I can't write them exactly for that reason. But I can say that you are seeing black on white as you read this sentence. But I can't prove that. Is that experience of "black on white" reducible to concept, just because concept can point your awareness to it? Concept/language is just one layer of experience, in my opinion, and we can get so absorbed in this thought-layer of experience, that we forget to notice the raw "is-ness" of human experience. It doesn't matter if we believe or don't believe in "God," as far as this "is-ness" goes. Experience just is. Now Heaven and Hell are concepts, in my opinion, and they are enemies of living in and making the most of this world. At least for me. I do value dialectic. But I also value that which dialectic cannot touch. Lacan would call it the Real which resists symbolization.

Great talking to you & I wish you well. Smile
0 Replies

cluckk

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
@north,
north;174059 wrote:

That is not an argument.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
@cluckk,
cluckk;174215 wrote:
north;174059 wrote:
That is not an argument.
It IS an argument, just not a good 1.
cluckk

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:47 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;174220 wrote:
It IS an argument, just not a good 1.

It is a conclusion with no premises. It is as much of an argument as saying: "the sky is blue." By saying this I don't argue its truth or falsehood. It is a statement which can be part of an argument.

Of course, if he takes the premises from the OP (natural evil . . .why?) and appends this as a conclusion then an argument has been made--still not a good one. Perhaps I should have assumed this is what was meant.

Now, taking this as the intention and saying that he concludes: "there is no God" from the question of evil, his argument is unjustified, because the premises do not justify the conclusion. They may support such a conclusion, but equal or superior conclusions are available.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:58 am
@cluckk,
cluckk;174234 wrote:
It is a conclusion with no premises. It is as much of an argument as saying: "the sky is blue." By saying this I don't argue its truth or falsehood. It is a statement which can be part of an argument.

Of course, if he takes the premises from the OP (natural evil . . .why?) and appends this as a conclusion then an argument has been made--still not a good one. Perhaps I should have assumed this is what was meant.

Now, taking this as the intention and saying that he concludes: "there is no God" from the question of evil, his argument is unjustified, because the premises do not justify the conclusion. They may support such a conclusion, but equal or superior conclusions are available.
The sky is blue, is a proberty value, and by itself does not explain anything.

If god exist or not, will have an selfexplanatory proberty towards a discussion about god.

I still consider it an argument.
mark noble

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:03 am
@HexHammer,
Hi All,

God most certainly does exist, maybe?

Have a fantastic day.

Mark...
0 Replies

Dr Seuss

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:18 am
@Khethil,
You are looking in the wrong place because God is not the one responsible for the suffering of mankind.

Remember he made us a paradise and what happened? Well Satan convinced Eve to defy God and know for herself what was right from wrong.

Then if you recall what happened later the key is there. Satan and God had a sort of argument in which Satan told God that humans were only faithful to him because he (God) gave them everything easily. Satan challenged God and God with his excellent and perfect wisdom knew that if he destroyed Satan there and then that he would had not give Satan the opportunity to prove that what he was saying was false and he would look guilty in front of his spiritual creations.

So God gave satan control of the actual system of things. Bad things happen because (and you can find it in the Bible) Satan is the god of the current system of things until he (God) brings the day of Judgment.
mark noble

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
@Dr Seuss,
Dr. Seuss;174244 wrote:
You are looking in the wrong place because God is not the one responsible for the suffering of mankind.

Remember he made us a paradise and what happened? Well Satan convinced Eve to defy God and know for herself what was right from wrong.

Then if you recall what happened later the key is there. Satan and God had a sort of argument in which Satan told God that humans were only faithful to him because he (God) gave them everything easily. Satan challenged God and God with his excellent and perfect wisdom knew that if he destroyed Satan there and then that he would had not give Satan the opportunity to prove that what he was saying was false and he would look guilty in front of his spiritual creations.

So God gave satan control of the actual system of things. Bad things happen because (and you can find it in the Bible) Satan is the god of the current system of things until he (God) brings the day of Judgment.

Hi Dr,

Did God create satan? Can satan act against the will of God? Can the "End result" change?
Thank you, sir, and have a great day.

Mark...
Dr Seuss

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:01 am
@mark noble,
mark noble;174246 wrote:
Hi Dr,

Did God create satan? Can satan act against the will of God? Can the "End result" change?
Thank you, sir, and have a great day.

Mark...

He did create Satan. Satan can act against God and he has already done that. I dont know what you mean by "End result" But if it means can Satan repent, its too late for that.

Hope that answered your curiosity.

May you have a good day too.

Dr........
mark noble

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:09 am
@Dr Seuss,
Dr. Seuss;174252 wrote:
He did create Satan. Satan can act against God and he has already done that. I dont know what you mean by "End result" But if it means can Satan repent, its too late for that.

Hope that answered your curiosity.

May you have a good day too.

Dr........

Hi again Dr Seuss,

Thank you for your reply. Can satan alter, in any way, the outcome of God's intent (assuming God is already at the outcome - "The end"). And, Was satan a 'mistake' on the behalf of God, or intended?

Thank you, and journey well, sir.

Mark...
Dr Seuss

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:14 am
@mark noble,
mark noble;174254 wrote:
Hi again Dr Seuss,

Thank you for your reply. Can satan alter, in any way, the outcome of God's intent (assuming God is already at the outcome - "The end"). And, Was satan a 'mistake' on the behalf of God, or intended?

Thank you, and journey well, sir.

Mark...

Mark, I think God is in full control of what his intentions are since everything that has happened thus far, has already been written in his book the Bible. I dont think he was a mistake, I think he is just greedy and envious of all God has. If we call Satan a mistake then we would have to call ourselves a mistake since we too like Satan have free will. Just because someone turns out to be a serial killer it doesnt mean he is a mistake it just means he has made other choices.
mark noble

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@Dr Seuss,
Dr. Seuss;174255 wrote:
Mark, I think God is in full control of what his intentions are since everything that has happened thus far, has already been written in his book the Bible. I dont think he was a mistake, I think he is just greedy and envious of all God has. If we call Satan a mistake then we would have to call ourselves a mistake since we too like Satan have free will. Just because someone turns out to be a serial killer it doesnt mean he is a mistake it just means he has made other choices.

Hi Dr Seuss,
Thank you. In the Bible it also talks of things that have not yet happened. Can these things change? Does God know what tomorrow will bring?
Thank you again Dr Seuss - There is a point to my questions I assure you.

Have a brilliant everything, always - In moderation, of course.

Mark...
Dr Seuss

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 12:12 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;174260 wrote:
Hi Dr Seuss,
Thank you. In the Bible it also talks of things that have not yet happened. Can these things change? Does God know what tomorrow will bring?
Thank you again Dr Seuss - There is a point to my questions I assure you.

Have a brilliant everything, always - In moderation, of course.

Mark...

Of course there is a point and a desire in your questions. If not you would not ask. I'm quite aware of that. There is also a point to my answers as well. Those things cannot be changed and God does know what tomorrow will bring as he is the Creator.

I see where you are going with this. Im going to pull out the card of 'somethings are beyond human comprehension' and to try to understand them wont lead you anywhere but back to square one.

The Bible mentions this as well. Somethings are beyond our human capacity to comprehend.That's why we find the verse "No man can see me and live" Because no man alive would be able to understand it.