Jebediah

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:46 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;140105 wrote:
I think there is a difference between being, as in Hiuman Being, and existing, as in things that exist.

Computers are not beings. They are able to calculsate with enormous power but not everything can be reduced to a calculation or an algorithm. Being is self-knowing and cannot reasonably be denied. ON the other hand, computers, no matter how complex, are objects, not living subjects.

Careful what you wish for.:bigsmile:

But if our minds are made up of atoms, molecules, chemical and cells, and these are governed by the laws of physics, then we should some day be able to simulate it. That's at least theoretically possible you admit?

It would probably require a processor for each neuron or something extravagant like that.
Fido

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@MMP2506,
What people have that AI will never have is consequences... All our lives are played out between life and death, and intelligence prolongs life, and so life is the original intelligence test...AI, forgetting nothing and learning nothing under the shadow of some death sentence is not intelligent at all, but is a form of suicide turned against all of humanity...Machines, to use them as a metaphore for AI, are great; but people must be careful that they are not caught in the works...
0 Replies

Quinn phil

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:26 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;139999 wrote:
What is the difference between artificial intelligence and just intelligence?

To me, Human Beings can be programmed much the way computers can. No Human Being can survive childhood without the molding of another Human Being, and I would argue that even Humans have to learn how to make decisions and judgments from interacting with other people.

Humans only acquire the ability to think by learning language through other people, so in a since they can only go as far as their language can take them.

I know that it is unlikely any computer is currently as advanced as the human brain, but the similarities are very striking.

Artificial intelligence was created by actual intelligence. Whether God put us on this earth, or we evolved some other way: we, as homosapiens, have increased our intelligence simply through interaction and experience.

If a human being was born on earth with no other human beings, unable to learn a commonly known language, he would still learn things by trying to survive. He would learn about himself, how to hunt, fish, (etc...).

Now, put artificial intelligence on the earth with no other humans around. If you want, even put more artificial intelligence on the earth. They'll still only do what they were commanded to do, by humans.

I think; computers compute.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:32 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;140110 wrote:
But if our minds are made up of atoms, molecules, chemical and cells, and these are governed by the laws of physics, then we should some day be able to simulate it. That's at least theoretically possible you admit?

It would probably require a processor for each neuron or something extravagant like that.

I am not materialist. Mind in the broadest sense precedes the universe and everything it it. The brain may indeed be material, but it is the receiver of mind, not originator of it. (Intelligence does not evolve, our capacity for it evolves.) This is not a statement of faith, mind you, but a rational argument, although would take a lot of text to spell it out.

There are less esoteric arguments also. Roger Penrose's book The Empreror's New Mind, claims (among other things) that mental operations are not reducible to algorithms. If something is not reducible to an algorithm, then it is not computable.

From one of the Amazon reviews of this volume:

Quote:
First, what this book is not: It is not "creation science"...it doesn't address evolution...or the existence of God...or existence of the human soul. In other words, it is NOT special pleading against modern science by someone with a religious agenda. What it IS rather, is a solid study of cognition, theories of artificial intelligence, and the enduring problem of the nature of human consciousness by one of the world's top physicists (a professed materialist by the way, not a religious believer), who together with Stephen Hawking developed the astrophysics of "black holes" in the '60's. What Penrose suggests here (a theory he expands on in his subsequent "Shadows of the Mind"), is that science, and specifically physics, is inadequate now, and more importantly will always be inadequate, to describe the nature of human intelligence, cognition, and consciousness--a thesis similar to the showing of Godel's 1931 Theorem that certain fundamental axioms of mathematics were incapable of proof within any mathematical system. In other words, Penrose suggests that there are elemental restrictions within science itself limiting our understanding of our own mental processes, which concomitantly limit the possibilities for development of artificial intelligence. And that obviously doesn't sit well with those for whom naturalistic science is itself a kind of "religion," as some of the dismissive reviews on this page show. My advice: just ignore them and read this book, and well as its successor, "Shadows of the Mind." It's a challenging read and not for intellectual lightweights, but it will richly reward those with the patience to make it through.

Although how you can say all this and remain 'a professed materialist' beats me.
---------- Post added 03-18-2010 at 10:35 AM ----------

Quinn;140723 wrote:
If a human being was born on earth with no other human beings, unable to learn a commonly known language, he would still learn things by trying to survive. He would learn about himself, how to hunt, fish, (etc...).

That is a guess, and also an empirically testable claim, and I think you would find it extremely difficult to find any evidence for it.
pondfish

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:52 pm
@MMP2506,
I do not exist. if you exist , you are a slave to HOST BELIEF.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:22 pm
@pondfish,
pondfish;140735 wrote:

Watch out for the big stripey fish with large teeth. They're called piranhas and they are extremely dangerous. Make short work of the likes of you.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:29 pm
@MMP2506,
I am a working biochemical robot. When my programming says to eat, I generally follow it's request. When my programming says to sleep, I never question it and shut down for as many hours as possible. When my programming tells me to get rid of the garbage I do that as soon as possible. Hate waiting for waste disposal especially if they are fluids. When my programming suggests that I replicate, I don't question it although I personally enjoy failing to actually accomplish the entire replication process.
When I get bad data input, I generally give back a syntax error or data does not compute followed by some logic as to why the data error was encountered.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:33 pm
@MMP2506,
that explains a lot actually. I like you a lot more now.
0 Replies

Quinn phil

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:32 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;140728 wrote:

That is a guess, and also an empirically testable claim, and I think you would find it extremely difficult to find any evidence for it.

The evidence is our existence.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:01 pm
@MMP2506,
BUt hang on Quinn, you said that a human who had to live in isolation from everyone else, no tribe, etc, woud learn to hunt, fish, and so on.

I challenge that. I don't think it is true. I think humans are uniquely dependent on being brought up by their parents - this is an empirical fact - and furthermore, if they are in a hunter-gatherer society, they go through a lot of training in skills and attitudes necessary to survive.

And without all of that, I think that nearly all of them would die.

There are stories of abandoned infants who were brought by by dog packs. They moved about on all fours, barked, snarled, and acted and thought like dogs. In nearly all cases, when they are brought back into human society, they perish.

---------- Post added 03-18-2010 at 02:02 PM ----------

It would be true for snakes, sharks, and the like, but their behaviours are purely instinctual. Many of ours are learned. There is a major difference.
pondfish

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:10 pm
@jeeprs,
Jeepers,

you never seen this fish before. it is alien.

I am the new GODFATHER:detective: , obey me!. HAHA.

But again No fish can eat me. I will annihilate all humans. Everyone.

I give you a method to beat me though.
You just have to repeat what i say!. Laughing
You can manifest any belief you want , you are just killing time without even thinking.

It is all about perspective. When you broaden your narrow mind you start to see others not just your own belief on everyone.

You are only talking about your belief. Except me ofcourse. :bigsmile:

I do not exist. I am not human.
0 Replies

MMP2506

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:21 am
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;140723 wrote:
Artificial intelligence was created by actual intelligence. Whether God put us on this earth, or we evolved some other way: we, as homosapiens, have increased our intelligence simply through interaction and experience.

Now, put artificial intelligence on the earth with no other humans around. If you want, even put more artificial intelligence on the earth. They'll still only do what they were commanded to do, by humans.

I think; computers compute.

Could you even imagine thinking without language? Many of our thought can only exist because of the words which we use to describe them, and language is only possible through social interaction with other people.

There have been studies done on the phenomena of children raised in isolation. Even animals raised without social interaction do not develop skills needed to survive under normal circumstances.

History Module: The Devastating Effects of Isolation on Social Behaviour

If you wish to call computers intelligence artificial, than I would argue it really isn't intelligence at all, but if it is intelligence, I don't see how it is artificial simply because it is learned. Our intelligence is just as learned and programmed through social interactions with others.
0 Replies

Charley phil

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:47 pm
@MMP2506,
We are on one level the vigor we can put into what we prefer to do, on another level, we are how we distribute our vigor into every aspect of our lives. Once we balance our lives to keep enough vigor in the right places, we become what we seek to be through a process of doing, and or planning. Those who can't achieve that become what they can't help but be.
A 'Person' is some one to learn about, and learn from
'Human Beings' are the aspects we all have in common and represents more of a unity between us, than 'person' that has a sense of individuality.
An 'Individual' is an embodiment of the habits resulting from his weaknesses first, and once those weaknesses are corrected, or dealt with in a constructive way an 'Individual' is then the embodiment of their desired intention.

I don't think that's as precise as it could be. Any suggestions?
Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
@pondfish,
pondfish;140735 wrote:

You exist.

Quote:

I do not exist. I am not human.

You are human. :thats-enough:
kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140964 wrote:
You exist.

Let's not go overboard, shall we?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140964 wrote:
You exist.

If I'm inhuman, then what am I?
0 Replies

MMP2506

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:08 pm
@Charley phil,
Charley;140963 wrote:
We are on one level the vigor we can put into what we prefer to do, on another level, we are how we distribute our vigor into every aspect of our lives. Once we balance our lives to keep enough vigor in the right places, we become what we seek to be through a process of doing, and or planning. Those who can't achieve that become what they can't help but be.
A 'Person' is some one to learn about, and learn from
'Human Beings' are the aspects we all have in common and represents more of a unity between us, than 'person' that has a sense of individuality.
An 'Individual' is an embodiment of the habits resulting from his weaknesses first, and once those weaknesses are corrected, or dealt with in a constructive way an 'Individual' is then the embodiment of their desired intention.

I don't think that's as precise as it could be. Any suggestions?

I very much like the direction your going with those different terms.

The definition of person which has resonated the most with me came from Robert Sokolowski in The Phenomenology of Person. His definition is an agent for truth, and truth is understood any speech act with creates being.

For Sokolowski, a person is a manifestation of being which appears within different daily contexts.

I like your idea of Human Being, which I see as a speech act which outlines the similarities between us all, while the term person, to me, is a way to describe the differences.

An individual would be any particular instance of being, whether it actually displays personhood or not. It is an incarnation of being into the world. A person would have individual and communal characteristics, but don't think an individual has to be a person.

---------- Post added 03-18-2010 at 03:15 PM ----------

HexHammer;140973 wrote:
If I'm inhuman, then what am I?

I would say that if you are inhuman, all that can be directly inferred is that you are in fact inhuman. What you mean by inhuman is a different question to be asked.

Individual instances of what is considered humanity may well display characteristics that seem inhuman, and I think the fact that this speech act exists outlines the belief that there are certain characteristics which we as a society consider to be apodictic to human nature. Those who act inhuman, are those who display characteristics which society deems to be less than satisfactory for overall good of the community.

The very term humanity can only arise out of the understanding that humans are different than other species, and that there are demarcations between the species. Calling someone inhuman doesn't have to imply that they are not a human.
0 Replies

Quinn phil

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;139952 wrote:
1) don't really recall any robots in the 1800's, only recall machines.

2) what the heck has the 1800's any relevance to 2010? ...nada?

(Sorry, I overlooked this post.)

1) It was a "what if" question: but if you'd like, I'll change the year to 2010. Laughing

2) What the heck does the 1800's have to do with 2010? To put it simply, the world as you know it would be changed completely if the 1800's were not the way they were. But again, thanks for not adressing the actual point of the post.

---------- Post added 03-18-2010 at 06:12 PM ----------

MMP2506;140928 wrote:
Could you even imagine thinking without language? Many of our thought can only exist because of the words which we use to describe them, and language is only possible through social interaction with other people.

There have been studies done on the phenomena of children raised in isolation. Even animals raised without social interaction do not develop skills needed to survive under normal circumstances.

History Module: The Devastating Effects of Isolation on Social Behaviour

If you wish to call computers intelligence artificial, than I would argue it really isn't intelligence at all, but if it is intelligence, I don't see how it is artificial simply because it is learned. Our intelligence is just as learned and programmed through social interactions with others.

Here's a difference. We can choose to listen and learn. Computers do not choose. We choose what they learn, for them.
MMP2506

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:26 pm
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;141082 wrote:
(Sorry, I overlooked this post.)

1) It was a "what if" question: but if you'd like, I'll change the year to 2010. Laughing

2) What the heck does the 1800's have to do with 2010? To put it simply, the world as you know it would be changed completely if the 1800's were not the way they were. But again, thanks for not adressing the actual point of the post.

---------- Post added 03-18-2010 at 06:12 PM ----------

Here's a difference. We can choose to listen and learn. Computers do not choose. We choose what they learn, for them.

Can we though?

Did you choose to learn language, or did it envelop your mind when you were young without your control? Even today, do you feel you have control over what knowledge is presented to you to learn? I truly don't, none of my knowledge was created solely by my brain. People learn through an active engagement with the world, and really no other way. Even a priori knowledge can only become known through language.

Sure we can decide what seems right or wrong, but is it only our choice, or is the choice made due to reasons given to us by other people?

Of course computers today do not have the ability to learn empirically, but should robots ever be able to sense the world and perceive it in a way we do, then I could see them displaying personhood to some degree. Which would of course be devastating to most at first, but is conceivable.
Quinn phil

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:37 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;141089 wrote:
Can we though?

Did you choose to learn language, or did it envelop your mind when you were young without your control? Even today, do you feel you have control over what knowledge is presented to you to learn? I truly don't, none of my knowledge was created solely by my brain. People learn through an active engagement with the world, and really no other way. Even a priori knowledge can only become known through language.

Sure we can decide what seems right or wrong, but is it only our choice, or is the choice made due to reasons given to us by other people?

Of course computers today do not have the ability to learn empirically, but should robots ever be able to sense the world and perceive it in a way we do, then I could see them displaying personhood to some degree. Which would of course be devastating to most at first, but is conceivable.

Can we agree that humans have a natural instinct to survive? If my dad had tried to teach me advanced math at a young age, I would have ditched him to go outside. However, I wanted to learn English subconsiously. So I can be happy, and so I could survive. I can't speak for the needs and wants of other people. However, I can speak for everyone in saying that it is possible to tune out. Whenever you want to, actually. Cover your ears. If you don't have hands to cover your ears, use something else. Scream. Tune out. Whatever.

Even if we do get our knowledge from other people, that doesn't completely determine our conclusion about what is right and wrong. We can think about it. Computers are told what to do, and they do it. They can't run away, or rebel, or think something else.

Sure it's close, but the matter of decision, (and a few other things) seperate artificial intelligence from what I call "actual intelligence".