The Diary of a Worldly Streetsmart Traveller: Israel

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:18 pm
Back by enormous popular demand (ok, i couldn't stay away entirely and forever), here is another travelogue in the making for you....if I don't find something else for procrastination.

Sitting at an airport in Prague, not quite even realizing where I'm off to, as I've been grading my way out the door and should continue to grade now. I'm off to Israel for 10 days, another first. Won't talk much about work there as I was told that is not advisable, but the last five days are reserved for travel and fun. Dasha fun. Which means Ramallah instead of Jerusalem, occupied territories instead of tourist sites. But maye also the Dead Sea...because even I like the sea.

As usual, there is no plan. There is a workshop to do and then, who knows. Israel is small and has good bus transportation, so we shall see where they will tak me, and you.

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:23 pm
@dagmaraka,
Great! I look forward to your reports. I never made it to Israel.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:33 pm
hi rjb!
For now, I can only report that Italians are loud and that I discovered another sensory defensive trigger in myself...and that is loud jewelry, bangles and such. I can also report that tables are sticky in Ruzyň airport, shop assistants don't speak much of english and are rather rude to customers.

hopefully more exciting reports will follow.

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 03:01 pm
@dagmaraka,
Excellent! Looking forward to reading this. Hope your adventures skew more towards fun than painful.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@dagmaraka,
You are taking papers to Israel to be graded. Swell! Bet they use every bit of your vacation trying to decode it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:20 pm
@dagmaraka,
hooray!

can't wait to read about the adventures of Dasha at the Dead Sea (remember to pick up some of that scrumptious soap)

0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:58 pm
Can't wait to read!

[bookmark]

A
R
T
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:00 pm
Waiting with bated breath..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:44 am
@dagmaraka,
I will be really interested in reading your insights on Israel, dag.
Please, do not procrastinate about posting them, OK? Wink
Have a really good break! Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:18 am
reading along
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:20 am
Tel Aviv is as I expected. A bustling metropolis with that middle eastern touch. Everything is dry, yet somehow there is abundance of flowery things all around. The sun is blindingly bright, but can't be more than 22 °C, simply perfect. Haven't seen much yet, took a cab from the airport to a colleague's house, slept, showered and will go on with more colleagues to Nazereth from here. Discussed history and politics already, all is in order.
Love the brightness, love it. Perfect day so far.
msolga

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 02:00 am
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
A bustling metropolis with that middle eastern touch. Everything is dry, yet somehow there is abundance of flowery things all around. The sun is blindingly bright, but can't be more than 22 °C, simply perfect.

Never having been to Israel, or Tel Aviv, I find this really interesting, dag.

Please post more!

People, places, food, dag thoughts ...

(I love lots of light & brightness, too. Smile )

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:38 pm
i could report today about the Basilica of Annunciation or the White Mosque that we have been to after lunch. I could talk about the Tishreen restaurant in the Old City that has the most phenomenal chicken with plums and coffee sauce. But I'm afraid much more prosaic things are burnt into my mind.
My ex (hurrah!) boss eats like a small furry animal, hunched over his plate, stuffing food into his mouth as he speaks, and making sounds that would disgust a hungry hyena. When there's food in front of him, he'll keep eating continuously, his paws stuck in it perpetually, though it's a wonder where it goes. He's small and of a fragile frame. He gets irritated at the bizarrest things and offended if we suggest some modesty in what we promise people in a short day and a half long "training".
Long story short, a very long and intense day of negotiations over a training of trainers schedule is behind me and i can't wait to sleep.

Tomorrow, we go to visit the village of Yaad, built on the ruins of an Arab village Miaar, where our colleagues led a Jewish-Arab dialogue group for several years. Can't wait. Been waiting to see this place for so many years.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:56 pm
Yay! A Dasha travelogue!
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:13 pm
@littlek,
more of a Dasha rant today...but still, I'm in Israel for free, musn't grumble, ay?
msolga

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:35 pm
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
....but still, I'm in Israel for free, musn't grumble, ay?

As another freeloader, I'm not grumbling, either. Looking forward to hearing more, dag.

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@msolga,
See? I told you I won't be a good reporter this time. No time or energy left to recount the sights and happenings. Most of my energy goes into dealing with the ex boss, meaning trying to breathe, count to five five hundred times, etc.
Today we went to see Yaad and Miaar. Miaar is actually not a village anymore. It is a site of ruins, overgrown with pine trees. Pine trees were planted there immediately after the destruction of the village by the army, so that people don't return and rebuild. Met with a few descendants, who showed us the graves of their grandparents and relatives at the old cemetery, the only preserved part. Then we talked with them and some of the "new" inhabitants from the Jewish community about the dialogue process they have had for some years now. Can't put it in words right now, but it was a powerful experience.
Workshop starts tomorrow and I must get some sleep. One day I will also write about the touristy part and post pictures.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@dagmaraka,
Oh yeah.

And there is a sand storm and full moon. Beauuuutiful
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:05 pm
Sites to see would be Qumrun (?) near the Dead Sea where the Scrolls were discovered and where the proto-Christains lived. Probably you could check to see if they are processing the salt for export. How about Masada where the Romans put down the Jewish revolt? How about the Roman ruins?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:21 pm
@dagmaraka,
The touristy bits are okay, but, but, I'd be just as, no, more, pleased to read about your impressions of the people, the air, the light, the sounds, the smells.
0 Replies