Favorite Art, Science, Natural History, or Other Museum?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 11:19 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
It's also worth schlepping up to northern Manhattan to the Cloisters. The place itself is worth the trip. The Unicorn tapestries are magnificent.

Amen.

Another place uptown (not really a museum) that's sadly neglected by the promoters of Manhattan tourism is St. John's Episcopal Cathedral up there on Amsterdam Ave. at about 110th. In many, many ways it's artistically more impresive than St. Patrick's on 5th which everyone flocks to.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:44 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I took my father to see that cathedral several years back. It was his first and only visit to NYC (while I've been living here at least). It was also my first trip to see the cathedral. It was still under major renovation (the interior).

Is it still under renovation? By the sound of our friendly guide, it seemed like the renovations (damaged from a massive fire?) would be ongoing through perpetuity.

I agree with you. Its an impressive cathedral. More so then the far more famous tourist trap St. Patrick's on 5th. That day, we scrambled by bus and MTA to see the a dozen cathedrals (an improvised tour I made up because I couldn't figure what of the city to show him since he was visiting for a week).
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
My favorite art museum IN THE WORLD, is the National Taiwan Museum in TAipei. It contains , IMHO, the best developmental collection of ceramics on the planet. 2nded by the REichmuseum in Netherlands and the Delft museum (Vermeer gets me all moist)

Other art museums in the US.

1EAST WING of National Gallery.While the National Gallery contains a huuuuge treasure chest of works. It takes real time to absorb it.

2Chicago Art Museum. cmon, the best contemporary collection around.

3Philadelphia Academy Mueseum.The BEST collection of the "grander view" works of Amreican Landscape art

4The Freer and the REnwick (both in DC and housing specialty crafts collections)

5 The Brandywine Museum-Longwood Pa. THE best collection of Pyle and his students (Wyeths, Lyendecker, Schin etc)

6The ___________________Museum of Arts and Crafts and real DAlis(Tampa /ST PEte)

7The LA(Getty), a wonderful, well collected collection.

8The BArnes Collection of Post Impressionist/Fauve/modern and post modern art

9U of Iowa museum (American and western art)

10. Delaware Art Museum--Really best collection of Pre-Raphealite art.

11 NAtional Folk Museum in NYC

12Lord Beaverbrook Museum in Frederictown New Brunswick. Intimate museum, great revolving collection of contemporary Canadian Artists

(I hate the Gugg)

NATURAL HISTORY

1 THE FIELD--no arguments

2NYC Museum of NAt History

3The Smithsonian Museum of NAtural History

4The MUseum of the Rockies

5Bryn MAwr Geology Museum. THE BEST rock collection for pros to study

6LaBrea tarpist museum

PLAIN SCIENCE

1Franklin Institute

2The Columbus Ohio Museum of SCience

3The Mutter Museum (mwah ha ha haaaa)

4The complete collection museums of the Smithsonian

5.The Hampton Roads Marine museum . Wanna learn how to build your own wooden sailboat? or how the ships of the line were constructed/ or see some of the hottest damn marine models around?

6 Harrahs car museum

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 07:38 pm
@farmerman,
I think that in order to compose I'll just start naming places and then try to put them in order and eliminate or yammer on about some.

I'll mumble that I like art in situ, as opposed to in museums, not that I don't like museums, but I haven't seen it in situ all that much.. still I've seen some, so that's another post -
for example, a Cimabue crucifix in Arezzo, or the True Cross series by Piero della Francesca in that same city.

And then, as I said, the places I'd just love to see, how to organize that? Life is too short.

This is just a warning, I'm working on it..
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 07:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Chicago Art Museum. cmon, the best contemporary collection around.
The Barnes Collection of Post Impressionist/Fauve/modern and post modern art

This is the juicy art gossip I love to hear. Cool

Never heard of it but after a quick googling and site oogling! Sounds creepy and cool. Twisted Evil
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Take your time. The suspense is killing me. You're taking the Hitcockian road! I eagerly await your thoughtful art based ruminations. Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, Im just responding to the threads author. He wanted us to list our fav museums, and give a why.

The mutter museum is the creepiest of the ones I mentioned.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:04 pm
Have to give my current home state a little plug here. If you're interested in Hawaiian history or the ethnography of the Hawaiian people, the Bishop Museum in Honolulu is well worth a visit. They just did a multi-million $$$ renovation on the 100-year-old building. I haven't been there since before the remodeling started. Looking forward to seeing the new layout on my next trip to 'Lulu.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:07 pm
I am not much of a museum goer. My best experience was the Teddy Roosevelt Museum in Manhattan.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
You mind if I ask where in Manhattan is the Teddy Roosevelt Museum? Confused Never heard of it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:44 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't mean to rattle atcha. I'm always interested in your takes, always listen.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
In 1968, I went to a museum in Manhattan. The sign called it The Teddy Roosevelt Museum, as I recall. I could not google it, so it has probably changed to something else or closed. It had Roosevelt's hunting outfit and a few other of his things. It had a stuffed elephant and a dinosaur display.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thoughtful, well, my thoughts. I'm not an art history major, or even art major. I'm just your avid fool.
Plus you are also interested in science museums. I once coordinated a hilariously bad exhibit, but I was not actually in charge. Talk about frustration.
Never mind that, I'm ignorant about the best science museums, interested.

I did start writing. I can see I'm going to be discursive. So far I'm organizing it into cities, which may be how my mind is arranged, but not best in the long run. We'll see.

We need to wake up Lightwizard and some other folks.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
To emphasize, Farmer, my post was nada against you (my plum).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Be as discursive as you need to be... BTW Razz I had to look it up in the dictionary. Rolling Eyes I hope I can use it often. I kind of like the way it sounds.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've never called farmer 'my plum' before and don't mean to be too forward. Just saying, he talks, I'll listen (is that some commercial?). We don't always agree but I'd pay attention to his lists.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
He was born there, EB--October, 1859. It's possible that you visited the site of his birth. I'll see if i can find something.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

He was born there, EB--October, 1859. It's possible that you visited the site of his birth. I'll see if i can find something.

I thought the same thing, but then the dinosaur bones and the like - ?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
20th Street seems about like the place I went, however.
Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Click here to visit the web site which the National Park Service maintains for the Theodore Roosevelt birthplace.

I got the year wrong--he was born at 28 East 20th Street on October 27, 1858. He was Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. His father was a scion of an old New Amsterdam family, and they were members of the Dutch Reform Church. His mother was a daughter of the Bullock family of Georgia, and out of respect for her feelings, Theodore Roosevelt, Sr. did not serve in the Federal army in the American Civil War. "Teedie," as the family called him, seems to have been privately bothered by this, which might account for his thirst for military glory. To his credit, his experience in Cuba appears to have killed his thirst for military glory, and as President, he was not particularly bellicose.

According to the web site, the original house was demolished, but after Roosevelt's death in 1919, the site was purchased and the house rebuilt.