Your source(s) for all things art?

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:44 pm
Do you regularly read magazines, cultural columnists, blogs, newsletters, etc... that's targeted at the subject of art, art history, art theory, etc...? What are they? And do you listen to art based podcasts from museum curators, artists, and other agents of the world of art? Any (though rare) television or radio programs you take time to watch or listen to regularly that dive into the world of art?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,910 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm sort of out of it so take this with a grain of salt -

I get info from Visual Art Source, most of which I delete immediately. I read the New Yorker, NYT and LAT and SFgate, BBC and Guardian. I'm bad at following archnewsnow.com.
I mostly don't care about the word about what is going on any more. I do like to keep seeing images, and I go on explorations of those that I get links for, and on and on from those.
I'm more and more interested in photography, from a master or from a person with a cell phone.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I too subscribed to the archnewsnow.com email newsletter then pretty much began to ignore it when it hits my email inbox.

Magazine wise: I subscribe to ARTnews, while occasionally read Art In America, (Just started to follow them via twitter but that's kind of moot considering I rarely actually sign into my account), and occasionally Art Forum.

I also read the art sections in Time Out NY and New York Magazine. They have some fairly reliable sense of whats going on exhibition wise and to borrow the phrase you just used, I take every art review I read with "a grain of salt." Sometimes, I drop by the NYTimes site to see if they have an indepth interview or exhibit review.

I also subscribe to several cultural podcasts which only one is specifically aimed at art, that being the MET Museum podcast and that's not too regular in terms of its publishing podcasts in a timely and consistent fashion. The rest are NPR interview shows that once in a blue moon will interview an author who wrote a book on art criticism or theory, and even rarer an interview of the actual artists.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I should have clarified that I chase down images I like - not just expecting them and their history to suddenly appear - but generally I'm lazy. I'm in the midst of culling my own voluminous stuff of little value but to me, and am probably more cutting than usual. As in don't show me ****, from whatever gallery.

Lesser patience from me, as I'm tossing my own detritis.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
I get most of my artistic feul, I suppose, from the mag ARTnews (very little from Art in America). The modernist painters ARTnews features tend to shape my aesthetic TASTE to a considerable extent. BUT once I start a painting it takes on a life of its own, inspiring ME to comply with the possibilities it reveals. But I guess it the case that for the most part my artistic education has come from the study of other artists' paintings, more so than from art teachers in formal art classes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
I get most of my artistic feul, I suppose, from the mag ARTnews (very little from Art in America). The modernist painters ARTnews features tend to shape my aesthetic TASTE to a considerable extent. BUT once I start a painting it takes on a life of its own, inspiring ME to comply with the possibilities it reveals. But I guess it the case that for the most part my artistic education has come from the study of other artists' paintings, more so than from art teachers in formal art classes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Like many people, I too get cravings for fatty and/or sweet junk food. Sometimes I get an untimely craving for all things art:

Just tweeted this personal sentiment:
Quote:
Calling out for suggestions: Who produces the best visual art podcast? On paintings, sculpture, drawings, museums, NYC galleries, etc?

I wonder if someone here can answer my plea?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:08 pm
So true.

I promise to post more.

(I'm irritated with an online site right now)
0 Replies