Please Has anyone heard of the artist Lori Stanley

drselig

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:42 pm
I have several whimsical paintings by the now deceased artist, Lori Stanley. Her paintings are usually large format and very colorful. She usually has a female as the subject matter although not always.

i cannot believe that up until now noone, and I have been askign newsgroups elsewherer, has heard of her.

Her paintings now command 20-50 k a piece and I am sure I am spelling her name correctly.

Can anyone please please assist me in finding more bio information on her

Any information would be most welcome.

Dr. R. Selig
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 8,021 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 08:01 pm
I just did a Google search of a Laurie Stanley and came up with several links to an artist that does fanatsy art. You might check Google using that spelling and see if that is who you are looking for.
0 Replies

artdelia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:16 pm
Re: Please Has anyone heard of the artist Lori Stanley
I knew Lori Stanley and have been looking for infomation on her paintings too. She lived in the same town I do. I am am artist too. Please reply

drselig wrote:
I have several whimsical paintings by the now deceased artist, Lori Stanley. Her paintings are usually large format and very colorful. She usually has a female as the subject matter although not always.

i cannot believe that up until now noone, and I have been askign newsgroups elsewherer, has heard of her.

Her paintings now command 20-50 k a piece and I am sure I am spelling her name correctly.

Dr. R. Selig
patriciabelyea

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
Yes, I know Lori Stanely
When I lived in Merced, California in the early 80's, I met Lori. She was an exotic, stately woman who could not stop herself from painting. Although she had almost no money, she would buy big canvases, staple them to her wall and paint. At that time, Lori had 70 big canvases rolled up under her bed and no connections to the art world to sell them.

I moved to Seattle in 1983. From there I commissioned two paintings from Lori which I still have.

Over the years I stayed in contact with Lori. She sent me letters and pictures of her paintings.

At one point, we lost contact. I learned from a Merced contact that she committed suicide when she was 42.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:45 am
Paintings by Laurie Stanley
Paintings by Laurie Stanley site:

Paintings by Stanley

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
Sounds like a different person, BBB.
0 Replies

Tightj

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:09 pm
Re: Please Has anyone heard of the artist Lori Stanley
My father in law was just showing me 17 different paintings that Lori Stanley did beautifully. She gave them to him as a gift many years ago. Some are on canvas, some on wood. My father in law knew her and her family fairly well. He has the obituary and newspaper clippings that explain her horrible death. He has kept these amazing paintings hidden away and safe from harm for quite a few years. I have been trying to find some information about her. I know her paintings were not cheap when she was alive.

drselig wrote:

Dr. R. Selig
JudiCharm

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 04:30 pm
I have her painting "Positive ID." It is the first original piece of art I had ever purchased, and I was told by the gallery owner that she had committed suicide the weekend I bought the painting.
0 Replies

connie stanley

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:26 am
Good evening - If you are talking about the Lori Stanley that had a show in los gatos in the 80's - and loved a man named brett, then kirk, i have been searching for the keeper of her work, her brushes and her paints - I am Lori's Cousin Con on her dads side - my uncle guy - my moms brother - the stanley family is huge. Lori and I were close....if you were talking about this particular cherokee and romanian spirit - please let me know.
Tightj

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:46 pm
Artist Lori Stanley
Hello Everyone.
My father in law has recently started opening up to me about how well he knew Lori Stanley and her brother Rick (Richard) Stanley. My father in law was married to Rick's wife's sister. The wives/sisters had two other sisters as well. Lori was very close to this group of sisters. They considered Lori to be a part of their family. My father in law had 5 acres with a river located between Merced and Atwater. All four sisters, my father in law, Rick, and Lori would spend a lot of time together at the property having barbecues and swim parties. Later, Rick gave my father in law 17 different artworks that Lori had done. Rick mentioned that one of the paintings has won an award in an Art Show. If anyone has any information about the Award, we would love to find out the details. All 17 pieces of artwork have names and dates. These beautiful pieces are very dear to My father in law's heart; but I think that under just the right circumstances, he would be willing with one or two of the great works of art by the late Lori Stanley. She unfortunately committed suicide on March 7th, 1996. Please let me know if anyone has more information about the life of Lori Stanley. My father in law would be delighted to share stories.
0 Replies

Llowyn

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:24 am
Lori Stanley
I am very sorry to learn that Lori Stanley committed suicide. I had been reading Merced's obituaries tonight, one of which mentioned a Miles Stanley being deceased prior to another person's actual obit in this paper. It made me think of Lori for some reason, so I googled searched her name and found this discussion board regarding her art, and the sad info about her death.

One of the posters mentioned a person named Brett. Actually, his name is Britt. I knew Britt. I went to hs with Lori.

It's sad she chose to end her life. She was a very beautiful person, free-spirited and artistic.
0 Replies

paxagirl

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 10:47 am
I am married to britt . Lori and britt had two sons together after her passing her youngest came to live with us. We wonder if her art is still selling out there .Her paintings were so different I cant imagine her work would disappear.
joe420

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 08:56 pm
@drselig,
Hi, I am a relative of Lori and was wondering what sort of info you need and why?
deliaruben

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 08:02 pm
@joe420,
Before lori ended her life, she gave me a few paintings, one unfinised. I bought two paintings from her. My name is delia lara an artist also. I have pictures of some of her paintings and may be interrested in selling.
patriciabelyea

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 08:14 pm
@deliaruben,
Hi,
I am not interested in buying Lori's art at this time. I am just interested in filling in some of the holes in my understanding of her life. In the mid-1980s I commissioned two paintings from Lori which I have today.

What happened to her sons? I wonder where all her art ended up?

Thanks for responding. P.
0 Replies

jhubers

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 01:31 pm
@drselig,
Hi. I own three of Lori's paintings. She used to live in the Merced/Atwater area of California. I have a copy of her obituary. What else would you like to know?

And, how do you know that her paintings are now worth $20 - 50 K apiece? I've been searching on the Web for info about Lori for years and haven't gotten anywhere. J
patriciabelyea

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 01:42 pm
@jhubers,
J
I would like to read her obit. Can you scan it in and send it to me? I have two Lori paintings as well as letters she wrote to me when she was alive. (I commissioned two paintings from her). I have no idea what her paintings are worth today. Probably as much as someone will pay for them as she is not well known.
Patricia ([email protected])
jhubers

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 10:03 am
@patriciabelyea,
I'll try to get it to you soon. Leaving on vacation. I also have the Stanislaus State Univ. article on her, along with her picture. The pic in the background was Best of Show. I bought that one, amongst 2 others. J
0 Replies

jhubers

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 10:08 am
@deliaruben,
How large are your two paintings and what do they depict? I am not sure if I am interested in buying at this time but would love some more info. Thanks. J
patriciabelyea

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:55 am
@jhubers,
/Users/patriciabelyea/Desktop/CIMG5262.jpg/Users/patriciabelyea/Desktop/CIMG5278.jpg/Users/patriciabelyea/Desktop/CIMG5280.jpg/Users/patriciabelyea/Desktop/CIMG5288.jpg
I have no idea if I have successfully attached five images. Let me know. P.
0 Replies