ARE YOU A PROBLEM THINKER?

kuvasz

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 09:11 pm

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone, "to relax," I told myself. But I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me and finally I was thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's. I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "I like you, and it hurts me to say this but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."

"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But Honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door.

I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with NPR on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors...they didn't open. The library was closed.

To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed...easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

Think about it. It could happen to YOU!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 5,698 • Replies: 26
No top replies

TilleyWink

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:12 am
@kuvasz,
Thinking can defiantly be a problem and almost always either impresses people, confuses them, or simply makes them disappear.

Maybe it is thinking in language that is the problems. For instance you might think something then accidently say it out loud. After that it is off to the races or not.
fresco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:29 am
@kuvasz,
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1974/12/16/1974_12_16_037_TNY_CARDS_000311812

(Just in case you don't know it ! Very Happy )
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:49 am
@TilleyWink,
TilleyWink, I think you've got something, there.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:36 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

I think so. Even worse, I've been thinking while driving.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:04 am
@kuvasz,
Quote:
It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker......

Laughing

Love it, kuvasz!
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:00 am
Has anyone over-D'ed on thinking?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:49 pm
@kuvasz,
This has caused me some distress at work. Most of my crew is underage, and have no business thinking.

they see me doing it, and they want to try it, as kids do. I was working on Karl's (i changed the spelling to protect him) car the other day, and I was thinking while working, as I am prone to do, and he thought since we were away from the bar, that I might let him think with me.

No way, I said. I think alone, and you are not 21 for two more weeks.

I will consider letting him think at my place just a little bit once he is of age, but will try to instill a sense of moderation as I bring him along.
TTH

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:09 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:
I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "I like you, and it hurts me to say this but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I am not thinking, only laughing
0 Replies

AwTin

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:56 am
@Rockhead,
>>(i changed the spelling to protect him) <<

Doesn't telling us defeat the purpose?
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:33 am
@kuvasz,
I think there's research that shows it's a genetic problem. There might be medications you could take for it.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:21 pm
@kuvasz,
It's relating to "Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour", it's when rationallity has been lost and one can't realize what abusive situation one has ended up in.
It' can translate to gambling, to alcohol, drugs or even more innocent pass times such as thinking, sports, music ..etc. It's anything that can bring edulgence.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:23 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone, "to relax," I told myself. But I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me and finally I was thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's. I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "I like you, and it hurts me to say this but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door.

I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with NPR on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors...they didn't open. The library was closed.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed...easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

I am skeptical of this entire post. I think the biggest red flag that is is complete rubbish is that you say you are a thinker yet say you believe a higher power was looking out for you. BS. You are not a thinker at all if that is your response. It was not thinking that got you into this mess, it was not having any answers for anything at all what so ever. A day dreamer without any motivation to bring any day dreams into reality. You are not a thinker at all. Nice try though.
fresco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:47 pm
@Krumple,
Rolling Eyes
Oh dear ! Lighten up Krumple. I assure you Kuvasz can give most of us a run for our money!
north

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:48 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

easy guy don't stop thinking

there is a balance between the simple and the complex
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:33 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Oh dear ! Lighten up Krumple. I assure you Kuvasz can give most of us a run for our money!

All I'm saying is, thinking about some topic is one thing but isn't there a time when you actually do something about it? If you can't do anything about it then thinking about it day after day after day is wasteful. If you can do something about it, then thinking about it while doing nothing is just as wasteful. So what the hell is he pondering so much that his boss wants to fire him and his wife thinks he isn't making enough money for her to spend?
Mame

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:54 am
@Krumple,
Drunk Laughing Rolling Eyes Drunk
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:45 am
Top level managers employ others to do their thinking for them. Mostoly because they want their life back.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:11 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
I am skeptical of this entire post. I think the biggest red flag that is is complete rubbish is that you say you are a thinker yet say you believe a higher power was looking out for you. BS. You are not a thinker at all if that is your response. It was not thinking that got you into this mess, it was not having any answers for anything at all what so ever. A day dreamer without any motivation to bring any day dreams into reality. You are not a thinker at all. Nice try though.
Uhmmmmmmmmm!
Now I better understand why you can spend so much time in dialogues with Sometimes Sun, that can span 3-5 pages just the 2 of you.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:26 pm
@HexHammer,
Come back Krumple. It was just getting to be entertaining.