Constant repeat log in requests from yahoo

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 03:55 pm
This started yesterday and is getting annoying.

To answer the obvious - I accept all cookies from sites I log into, but not their advertisers. I double checked that this is still true re my preferences. This has never been a problem, at least up until now.
No third party programs or control panels reject cookies for me.
My computer system time is just swell.

I've gone from rarely needing to re-log in, to having to log each time I want to check email.

Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me?
I ask here for the obvious reason that the yahoo site is useless, at least to me, for this kind of problem. I know we have the yahoo customer service email address mentioned here on a2k and I'll use it if I have to - but would much rather ask here first.

If it matters for some reason I don't understand, I've cleared cache and history. Also, I have an Imac/safari, if that somehow matters.

The one possibility I can think of is that I haven't done the latest security thing, but will this weekend. (eh???)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,814 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't know if it helps, but yahoo mail has a check box. Use it if you don't want to log in, and you'll only have to log in from your home computer about once every two weeks. Anyway, it works for me. Is it possible you've unchecked the box? I recall it being adjacent to the login menu.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 11:09 pm
@roger,
Once every two weeks is what I'm used to. Thanks, I'll look at that, Roger.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 11:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Yahoo gives me the option to re log in, which I click, and it brings me to my email. Still, it's the tenth time today. Grrrr.

Will explore again, in case I somehow unchecked some thing (unlikely, but y'never know).
solipsister

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:16 am
@ossobuco,
clear the cookies

sign in and click keep me in or some such

y be anywhere but here
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:41 am
@solipsister,
Clear the cookies? mmmm, a2k and several other places I like would be included in that, so I'm chary. I've been on yahoo for years now and this hasn't happened before. No change (that I perceive) in my own behavior.

We'll see. I fooled around by looking at my account, didn't change anything, and saw a new normal sign in/check window.

I'm a little bored at potential log in #11 for today, so I haven't tried it. Back in a minute.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:46 am
@ossobuco,
OK, tried it again, and the log in again line showed.

So, Solipsister, are you saying I could have a cookie challenging/interfering with other cookies?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:01 pm
@ossobuco,
You may have an old Yahoo cookie that isn't able to refresh itself with the updated one because the old one exists and isn't being overwritten.

Clearing the cookies will allow it the opportunity to refresh and update the cookie and give you a chance to see if that solves the problem or is just one of many things to check off the list of possibilities in the process of elimination.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 01:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, butrflynet - I just saw your post now.

I did clear all the cookies a couple of days ago now, and have since been re-logging in to many sites (lucky I maintain password lists) - but no change re my yahoo access, grrr. Still having to log in every time I check emails.

I suppose the next thing I should check is if it makes a difference to accept yahoo advertisers' cookies, but I'm a tad reluctant to do that.

Any additional ideas are welcome..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Bumping this, in case anyone has advice.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Hah, I googled "reaching yahoo customer service by email" and this is what I saw -
1 - 10 of about 2,410,000

I can't find, right now, where Robert mentioned the yahoo customer service email address on a2k.
I won't obliterate my yahoo email, as I've some emails of interest saved on it, but I'll gradually move to other sites. I'm well tired of always logging in.

I already have gmail. Any other sites a2kers like?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, it's not so much the bother, though it is a bother, as that I now don't trust that yahoo will always recognize me, and if it ever happens that it fully does not, that I could reach them to talk about it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm mildly amazed at how boring this thread must be to others. I exclude Robert from that, as I get that he is busy. And Bfn, and Roger and Solipsister have tried with me.

But, from a lot of the a2k smarties, I am seeing nada. What's the deal, you all hate me? (well, maybe, but probably not the primary thing re lack of response)
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
If I didn't absolutely hate anything Yahoo! as much as I do, I'd create an account and search the help files for an answer for you.

Have you done that, browsed through their tech help files to see if the issue is addressed there? Do they have any kind of a "Known Issues Log?"
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 07:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
I have, though I presume not fully.

I found the link to their customer service - too bad, I may have had too much wine, so I don't remember how. Probably via a2k. But, perhaps my query there will be useful.

0 Replies

RHB100

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:04 pm
The SOLUTION to the repeat login problem is to change to a browser other than Internet Explorer. I changed to Google Chrome. Firefox might also work but I have not tried it. There does not appear to be any setting in IE that you can change to avoid this problem.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:20 pm
@RHB100,
Ah, but I didn't have Internet Explorer in 2009.

Anyway, the problem went away on its own somehow.
0 Replies

bryce

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:02 am
@ossobuco,
I have been stuck with this problem for 2 weeks now and have tried every piece of advice offered but to no avail. I am desperate to be saved from sign ins. Every time I use Yahoo or any expression of yahoo or move within yahoo I have to sign in again.
I use mac mini with latest version of Mountain lion.
0 Replies