How long can it take for engine sensors to gather enough data?

DrewDad

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 04:27 pm
I had work done on my car (2001 Toyota Corolla) over a week ago. (They did the work to fix the check engine light. Mass airflow sensor and engine idle airflow solenoid, or somesuch.)

I've driven over 200 miles. The state inspection place tells me that two of my sensors are still reporting "not ready", which means I can't get my sticker....

Is it just mileage driven? Or can it be other things as well, like the number of times the engine is started?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 97,048 • Replies: 24
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 04:44 pm
My understanding of the process is this: The computer that assesses the check engine light just tells the mechanics what system is faulty. It may be more targeted than that, but at least sometimes isn't much more tuned. So, there's a little artistry in interpretation by the mechanic. My car was stalling in humid/rainy weather. One shop ran the diagnostic and checked the distributor and found it was wet inside (BIG puddle). He dried it out, but in humid weather the car was still stalling. I brought it to another garage and that guy got the same message from the diagnostic machine, but found that the wires to my spark plugs were also exposed to the humid air. Once he fixed that, all was fine.

Not sure all that answers your question.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 05:19 pm
when I had emission sensor problems 6 months ago my mechanic told me that the longest it takes for the computer to reset to current conditions is the next start.
Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 05:21 pm
@DrewDad,
It's not just mileage driven, it's also throttle position etc. To make sure the ECU is up to speed (pun) run your vehicle at all throttle and gear settings (well all the throttle / gear settings you can practically manage).

That being said, 200 miles should be more than enough to cover the needed conditions, however it will no harm to run through all the throttle / gear settings you can practically manage.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 10:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

when I had emission sensor problems 6 months ago my mechanic told me that the longest it takes for the computer to reset to current conditions is the next start.

That contradicts what my mechanic and the state inspection guy told me.

Now, the check engine light came back on after replacing the first sensor, so the computer was able to immediately determine that there was a problem. But the sensors have to gather enough data before the car can pass inspection.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 10:30 pm
@Chumly,
So maybe 60 miles of city driving will take care of it, but 200 miles of highway cruising will not?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 10:42 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm just getting my feet wet with OBD2 again, but my experience is several cool down and run periods at least to gather enough info.

I have been chasing a bug in a 2001 Durango, and it takes a couple days to reset the code.
Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 11:19 pm
@DrewDad,
Firstly Rock is wrong as to "several cool down and run periods" per se.

The data needed to confirm full status is not solely dependent on "several cool down and run periods" as discussed it must include certain throttle settings, engine load etc. The ECU needs all operations for given parameters, again some of which I've discussed and advised you as to how to facilitate.

Also your mech is a dork because he should know it's possible to avoid all this hassle and "tell" the ECU in advance that all parameters have registered. Dealers are cool in this regard!

Understand also that I said "200 miles should be more than enough to cover the needed conditions, however it will do no harm to run through all the throttle / gear settings you can practically manage."

Understand also that it's not mileage per se, it's the requisite variances as sent from the sensors that the ECU needs.

Having said all that, if I was to guess as to the source of the problems, and if the ECU, and wiring, and fuel delivery, and catalytic converter, and ignition system etc are all fine - and you run through all settings as I've advised - then some sensors have either not been installed correctly or have failed.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 09:43 am
@Chumly,
Wouldn't the computer mark the sensors as failed, then?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 09:43 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I'm just getting my feet wet with OBD2 again, but my experience is several cool down and run periods at least to gather enough info.

I have been chasing a bug in a 2001 Durango, and it takes a couple days to reset the code.

Well, it's had that. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get the damn thing to pass inspection....
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 09:53 am
@DrewDad,
That depends what you mean by "failed" (too vague) because until all required parameters have been sent by establishing all running conditions, things won't be normalized. Error codes prior to normalization are not overly meaningful.

Run the vehicle as I've suggested (or get someone who knows what they're doing to set the ECU) and then report the remaining specific codes (if any).

I have a laptop-based OBD2 reader that can do real-time data-logging, that's a cool way to approach these problems.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:00 am
@DrewDad,
The mechanics just reset my car's computer and all is on "okay" again.
(My temperatre sensor was fitted two weeks ago: the computer got the correct data within seconds after the engine started.)
Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There are different definitions of the word "reset" as it relates to the ECU!

One definition is removing the power (or resetting) the ECU long enough for it to go back to its default settings. After which it must regather all parameters before the CEL will extinguish.

Another definition is sending the ECU data that all parameters are OK, this is typically done by mechs at a dealer. After which the ECU need not regather all parameters and the CEL will not light up (unless there is a recurring problem).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:34 am
Here is the unit I use

Product Overview

Powerful OBD II diagnostic scan tool and road dynamometer.
Works on 1996 or newer vehicles including American, Asian and European.
Read/clear the dashboard Check Engine light, display the freeze frame, and viewing live data streams.
Enhanced OBD II upgrade options support ABS and airbag diagnostic trouble codes.
Measure instant and average MPG and fuel used on any vehicle. Help save gas by monitoring fuel usage in real-time.
Unique parameters such as air/fuel ratio, boost pressure, instant and average MPG, fuel used and fuel rate (gal/hr).
Supports 264 vehicle parameters. The latest May 2007 SAE J1979 OBD II standards are fully supported.
Metric and English units of measure. I/M readiness.
Record any number parameters for as long as you want.
Graphically view the entire recording with each data point time stamped.
Plugs into the OBD II connector located under the dashboard.
Access to thousands of generic and enhanced diagnostic trouble code definitions are displayed directly on screen.
Vehicle horsepower/torque and acceleration times are measured and graphically displayed.
0-60 time, 1/8 and 1/4 mile time and speed, MPG, and top speed.
All OBD II and EOBD protocols supported: CAN bus, VPW, PWM, ISO and KWP 2000.
High speed CAN 6x communication mode reads six sensors per vehicle message.
Supports diagnostic modes 1 through 9.
Supports enhanced diagnostic modes 13, 14, 17, and 18.
PC software works on all Windows operating systems: 98, ME, 2000, XP and Vista.
Free software upgrades downloaded via the Internet.
English, Español, Français, Magyar, Ελληνικά, Deutsch and Italiano.
Made in USA.

Key Features Description

More Parameters and 6x Data Speeds » Dyno-Scan supports 264 different parameters, including unique parameters like air/fuel ratio, instant and average fuel economy and boost pressure. On CAN bus equipped vehicles, the software reads six sensors per vehicle message making data throughput up to 6 times faster!

ABS and Airbag Support » need to read/clear ABS or airbag diagnostic trouble codes? Auterra offers inexpensive manufacturer-specific enhanced OBD II upgrade options for many make/model vehicles. Typically reading ABS/airbag codes is only available using a high cost, dealer-level scan tool. Now read/clear ABS, airbag, transmission and other codes from your vehicle with inexpensive enhanced software upgrade.

Free Software Updates » download free updates directly from the Auterra web site. We've been manufacturing scan tools right here in the USA for a long time. Customers who purchased our version 1.0 product in 2000 have enjoyed free upgrades for 8 years and counting!

Professional Software » Auterra's scan tool software is the most advanced and user friendly on the market. Automatically detects the vehicle protocol and supported parameters. Easily select parameters for viewing using line graphs and meters. Analyze and view an entire recording with zoom, scroll and individual time stamps. Complete user interface customization with docking toolbars and auto-hide side panels.

Superior Hardware » the Auterra OBD II adapter hardware is an all-in-one design engineered from the ground up to support all OBD II hardware protocols. The adapter comes with ruggedized cables and a super long 12-foot total cable length.

Dyno Features » Auterra invented the scan tool dynamometer and its still the best. The horsepower/torque and acceleration features are powered by advanced mathematics and proprietary algorithms to offer unparalleled accuracy and repeatability, proven by hours of testing against a chassis dynamometer. Check out the fine detail in our horsepower/torque and acceleration graph screen shots, something our competition just can't match.

Description Databases » the Auterra diagnostic trouble code definition databases contain thousands of generic and enhanced code definitions.

Demonstration Software » download our demonstration version - try all the features before making your purchase.

http://www.auterraweb.com/dynoscan.html
Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:07 am
@Chumly,
cost?
Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:56 am
@Rockhead,
There are cheaper gizmos but real time data logging can be very helpful.

US $194.95

http://cgi.ebay.ca/A-302-Windows-Scan-Tool-Scanner-Auterra-OBD-II-OBD2-2_W0QQitemZ320360753482QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item320360753482&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
DrewDad

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:44 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

That depends what you mean by "failed" (too vague) because until all required parameters have been sent by establishing all running conditions, things won't be normalized. Error codes prior to normalization are not overly meaningful.

The computer reports two sensors as "not ready". There are no error codes. In Texas, if two or more sensor report "not ready", then the car does not pass inspection.
Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:10 pm
@DrewDad,
Well unless you have a decent OBDII reader you cannot know if there are stored codes or not. Understand that the dashboard CEL is not a tell-all indicator by any means.

Here in BC we have "AirCare " and thus a strict ritual of OBDII educated inspectors reading both stored and active codes.

I don't know exactly what you mean by: "The computer reports two sensors as not ready" however I assume this is something your mech told you but I have no way of knowing exactly how he obtained that information, nor how accurate it is in this specific context, nor what reader(s) he used, nor how educated your mech is in OBDII diagnostics etc.

Again.........having said all that, if I was to guess as to the source of the problems, and if the ECU, and wiring, and fuel delivery, and catalytic converter, and ignition system etc are all fine - and you run through all settings as I've advised - then some sensors have either not been installed correctly or have failed.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:13 pm
@Chumly,
that's about what the one I am looking at buying costs, but it does not require a laptop.

(my laptop is more trouble than its worth anymore...)
Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Then you have to decide if the one your thinking of buying can perform all the tasks you want it to as compared to the Dyno-Scan for Windows.
0 Replies