How long does it take to get over the flu?

mismi

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:35 pm
I got sick Monday a week ago. My symptoms are better but I am so tired and everuthing seems so hopeless! I am not this kind of person - I was wondering when I could realistically consider myself over the flu?

Anyone got any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 37,288 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:49 pm
@mismi,
here's the med stuff...

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/influenza.htm

takes a while hun, and you've been run down... gotta give yourself time. Hugs (sprays lysol) xx
ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:15 pm
@mismi,
Have you been diagnosed with influenza?
mismi

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:18 pm
@Izzie,
fatigue for 2 - 3 weeks? oh no. That is worse than the actual flu symptoms to me!

I should have looked that up Izzie - I could have gone to webmd I suppose - brain is kaput. Thank you sweety.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
No, Beth - the swab came back negative - though my son has the same symptoms and his swab came back positive...so I am pretty sure it was the flu - have no clue why it showed negative though. I had all of the typical flu symptoms. So I did not get the tamiflu - S came back positive and they are giving him Tamiflu. I hope it does cut the length of time in half for his sake!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:25 pm
@mismi,
If you've got a true influenza (which you well might, given that it's in the house), you can likely expect a month from start to feeling sorta decent IF IF IF you take it very easy. Difficult for a mother and wife and dog-carer to do. You're really going to have to try and get as much rest as you can up front so that there's a chance of a slightly quicker recovery. If anyone's napping, nap along with them.
mismi

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 06:06 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks Beth. Gonna' give it my best shot (hack, hack, cough, cough) Very Happy
JPB

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 07:44 am
@mismi,
Rest, rest, and more rest is the only cure, mis. Hard to do, I know. BUT -- don't even try to keep up with the day-to-day stuff.

Also, if you don't start seeing an improvement in a few days, go back to the dr (or go to a different one) and let him know that you're not getting any better. Even if all they give you is a sleep aid, then at least that's something that will allow you to begin to heal.

(((( Missy ))))

Sorry you're so sick, hun.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:06 pm
@mismi,
as jpb said : GET YOUR SLEEP !!!!
that might be difficult with a child and dog - but you'll still need it to recover .
if you can't get a solid 7 to 8 hours at night , at least try to get 2 to 3 "40 winks" in during the day in addition to your nightly rest .
all the best .
hbg

be ...
http://ihasahotdog.wordpress.com/files/2008/01/loldog-happy-dog-pictures-happy-happy-happy.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:09 pm
@mismi,
what's this about going back to work tomorrow < stern look over glasses> ?

are you feeling 100%
Izzie

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
<also looking a little sternly towards MisSunshine! work.... already> mmmmmmmmmmm

wags finger... just a little....

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:23 pm
the time change probably hasn't helped much either
JPB

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:35 pm
@mismi,
<ahem>

You're going to do WHAT?!?!?!
Izzie

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:39 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

<ahem>

You're going to do WHAT?!?!?!

<ha... JPB... I could hear you saying that!... laughing>

<back to straight stern face Neutral >
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:53 pm
@djjd62,
Ha! Seriously - I feel quite certain that tomorrow is going to be a really hard day. Let me just say that getting people to take your place keeping babies is amazingly hard. I cannot leave my poor work partner to 6 babies by herself. Two people and six babies is doable. I miss them too...I have been away a week and a half! I will take it easy while I am there though...I am bringing cardboard books and rubber blocks to sit and stack and read with my sweet babies. So it should be pretty easy I think...feeding them lunch is the hardest part of the day - they are SO messy - food is everywhere!

I really wish I could turn in notice - but doing that this late in the year would really leave them in a bad place. I am going to stick it out...tomorrow night is Zaxby night here...fast food - easy and no cooking. So I can just come home and get the boys homework started and lay around. I can handle that....

Thursday I will lay around all day - it will be my first day to be without a child in a while though...it will be nice to sleep at will!

I am in better spirits today though...

Thanks Izzie, JPB, Beth, Hamburger and dj...I appreciate you! You help so much!
0 Replies

susan styles

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:40 am
had temp on a off since friday,body feels sore now sneezing bad chest dripping nose,can't eat,oh and lm worn out but not sleeping well,l feel awful,how long is this hell going to go on for?
0 Replies