ULYSSES On Film

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:45 am
There is a brand new film of Joyce's ULYSSES now in post production. I am not certain when it will be released. I have been waiting impatiently for this for about two years.
There was another ULYSSES movie back in 1965, and I thought that it was well done, if not far ranging enough in scope. I have high expectations for the new version.
http://www.ulysses.ie/news.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,810 • Replies: 48
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:54 am
This is good news, I saw the 1965 version at the NGA and was amazed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:24 pm
The year after I saw Ulysses on film (1968) I saw Finnegan's Wake at a theater in Kansas City. This is the one Joyce work I have not been bold enough or intellectually aspiring enough to read; so, the film gave a pretty good inkling of what the novel's about. It is the only English language film I ever saw that also had English language subtitles. Only thing, the spoken English did not always jibe with the written English. I have been trying to locate a copy of this movie for about three years. To my knowledge it is not on VHS or DVD.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 07:30 pm
Are you ready? Can you take it?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 08:01 pm
I'm ready, I can take it, I think!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:31 pm
I had posted it here because I thought book lovers would have been more interested in it than film buffs. After all, it's a classic. I hate to see it associated with The Absent Minded Professor.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:41 pm
That's okay, edharblythe, I don't think anyone will mix the two up!
It is in good company considering some of the better titles we've discussed. I think Joyce is basically so literate that it is unfilmable, much like F. Scott Fitzgerald who has been turned into mostly mumbo-jumbo soap opera. The production team looks encouraging, however, so we will see (literally) what we will see! Thanks for the link -- will be following it closely until the release of the film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:15 am
Actually, I'd be tempted to post a discussion of Joyce in books and refer to this thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 06:15 pm
I believe June 16th is Bloom's Day. That is the day the film is scheduled to be released.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 07:38 pm
Be there early to get a seat. I can envision lines out the door, around the building.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 10:00 pm
Have to agree with Lightwizard. I don't think any of Joyce's work (except maybe some of the short stories in The Dubliners) is filmable. I saw the 1968 (?) version and, while it was quite a good and interesting movie, it certainly wasn't Joyce and it wasn't Ulysses.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 10:15 pm
At least we can get much of the gist of it from the older film. I believe it would have been very good by the way if they had made it at least epic in length so that many loose ends could be tied up. As an instance, toward the end, the scene at the taxi stand cannot be overlooked or the bonding of the two men is not much in evidence. The film makers were too modest in their reach, but, I am sure lack of funding played a part.
I have never attempted to read Finnegan's Wake, because I simply cannot put in the time required, but, a film of it made in the 60s was helpful, I believe in relieving some of my curiosity.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:03 am
ULYSSES is unfilmable. Period. Why do people persist in these pointless projects?

As a footnote, one of Joyce's jobs in Dublin before he self-exiled from Ireland was working as a projectionist in a movie theater.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 03:54 pm
EdgarBlythe -- I have been shamed into trying to read Finnegan's Wake again by Here Comes Everybody. Met HCE in NYC last October and he has me convinced the book can't be that hard to master. So I'm going to try real hard. Ulysses. by comparison, was a walk in the park.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 06:05 pm
I know. That's why I never read it. It would be much too time consuming. If I were a young scholar or something other than what I am I would love to tackle it. At my age, in my life circumstances, it ain't possible.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 11:55 am
The one section of ULYSSES that is just conceivably filmable is the Nighttown chapter (Circe)...Bloom and Dedalus in the brothel. It is even written in dramatic format. If I were going to film Joyce, a quixotic venture if ever there were one, I would limit myself to that one chunk of the novel. It was done years ago in New York on stage as "Ulysses in Nighttown" starring Zero Mostel as Bloom.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 01:13 pm
Larry, Ulysses in Nighttown has been done a number of times by repertory theaters. I saw it many years ago at a venue in Boston (Cambridge, MA, actually).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 01:20 pm
I am an optimist. I know that no film will ever capture Joyce exactly as it appears in the novel. but, I love the fact the effort is made. I am eager to view the results.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 02:46 pm
It's also been said that Proust is unfilmable but "Time Regained," the last book in "Rememberance of Things Past" was successfully filmed in my estimation with Catherine Denueve in a pivotal role.

It will be astounding to see at least an honest attempt that conveys the essence of the book. I've read it so many years ago, it could compel me to read it again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:31 pm
I still read portions at random - the language is so rich - I feel like an imbecile by comparison when I write.
0 Replies