How to disguise my ugly light fixtures?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Will there be "light" at the end of this economic tunnel?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:51 pm
Ohsweetjesus! I had absolutely no idea that the status of my light fixtures had an impact on the world's financial markets! How could I be so stupid and selfish? I guess new switchplates are completely out of the question now.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
HAAAAAAAhahaha!

ooh, I've seen some cute switch plates.....
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:09 pm
This video idea probably isn't what you are looking for but it is short and fun.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/960255/recycle_lamp_shade/

Makes me wonder if it might be easier to replace your existing sconce with something simpler that would be easier to cover with a funky shade. Seeing lots of half shades that hang with single bulb clips.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:41 pm
I've been speed painting my living room (found out I have company coming over next weekend) today which gave me ample opportunity to poder the question of light fixture-ed-ness.

I saw so many ideas I liked here - the natural fibers, textures of the light soz posted, the punch out light of the one CJane posted, the quirkiness of the ones Caribu posted.

I think I'll dig into my art supply box and get funky. I mean.... I bought bracelets for my curtains, why can't I make jewelry for my lights?

Thank you all for the inspiration!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:07 pm
@boomerang,
I am sure you'll find a great solution, as you always do! Don't forget to make
some pictures for us, boomer!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:43 pm
@boomerang,
Are you going brown in the living room?

Pictures, pictures!

(Yes, I have faith that you will com up with something perfect for your lights!)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:34 am
Yes, I used the dark brown that I used in the dining room. It cured down to a really beautiful color after a couple of days. I started with the mantle, not quite sure if it was going to be too dark but again I loved it. I moved down from an eggshell finish to matte so it's a tweak off which, along with the diffence between the type of plastering makes the walls just about a half shade lighter.

I really like it so far!

The sconces really call out for something bold and biggish. The way they're positioned will prevent hanging anything on that part of the wall so the fixture will have to kind of stand alone (if that makes sense) as a decorative object.

It will be a while until I can get all the trim painted though.

I'm liking the dining room colors more now too. Giving the paint time to cure and getting pictures hung made a big difference.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 03:16 pm
c.i. was right. The world is falling apart at the seams while I fiddle with fixtures. It turns out that there is no longer a local vendor of fine, off the shelf wallpapers. It is all special order now, double rolls, triple price.

All is chaos and darkness.

But I did find some cool ivory, linen look, book-binding paper at the art supply shop! I also picked up a couple of sheets of groovy paper that might be coaxed into something acceptable.

I'm hoping to get started on my project in earnest tomorrow!
sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 06:39 pm
@boomerang,
Cool!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:57 pm
Have you tried freecycle.com? It is an exchange program on line and perhaps you can ask for fixtures that some one no longer wants. All things on freecycle are recycled and free.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:58 pm
And,can any of those fixtures be updated by changing the shades or adding those tiny shades so popular now?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:03 pm
@plainoldme,
I freecycle as well with the freecyclenewyorkcity, Freecycle (TM) New York City Yahoo group.
0 Replies

AndrewJayden

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 05:48 am
There are a lot of ways you can dress up or hide that raw light fixture depending on your style. It's easy to find covers for the chain part at most lighting stores.
0 Replies

David Anderson

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:23 am
Decorative light panels are available to fit a variety of square and rectangular fluorescent light fixtures. The experts at Sky-Scapes explain that these fiberglass, glass or plastic panels are printed with brightly colored designs. Adding a decorative panel that looks like a bright blue sky can turn an ugly and unwanted ceiling fixture into a work of art. This option does not require changing the light fixture, making it a great option for renters.
0 Replies