Scientists decode the Neanderthal genome

Sglass

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:40 am
What I would like to know is who decided what a Neaderthal looks like, the big saucer eyes and rather broad nose.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
. . . classified as homo sapiens by a taxonomist.

Don't try to dazzle me with no fancy language, Thomas . . . i know that some guy who stuffs dead animals ain't got nothin' to do with this . . .

I think your thinking about a Taxidermist Set. Unless you were joking and it just flew over my head...

T
K
O
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:02 am
@Diest TKO,
I'm pretty sure Setanta was joking and it just flew over your head. Or maybe you ducked.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:13 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Quote:
Re: farmerman (Post 3563549)
Quote:

Meanderthals Embarrassed

. I really have to look after my spelling more. However, a Meanderthal was a hunter gatherer who jut liked to wander around.

Ha! I love it.
They make lousy drivers.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:21 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Quote:
. . . classified as homo sapiens by a taxonomist.

Don't try to dazzle me with no fancy language, Thomas . . . i know that some guy who stuffs dead animals ain't got nothin' to do with this . . .

I think your thinking about a Taxidermist Set. Unless you were joking and it just flew over my head...

T
K
O
Please try to be more observant. It flew over your head like a 747 taking off.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 06:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Neanderthal dna was first extracted from teeth and rib bones in the late 90s. Do google searches on 'neanderthal dna halfway chimpanzee'.
farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 07:01 am
@gungasnake,
In the late 90's the first part of a neanderthal genome was decoded. It was done by Svante Paabo and Mathias Kring also, along with a team from Penn STate U , led by M Stoneking. (The Penn STate team actually duplicated the Kring and Paabo study so that they could resolve any issues re: contamination). The teams managed to sequence 380 base pairs of mDNA , . The newest study is apperntly still incomplete as theyve gotta finish the mDNA and the nuclear DNA sequencing.

I think the major finding that seems to discount the "Halfway ape" story is that the no 2 chromosome is seen to be the same "fusing" of 2 chromosomes that differentiate Homo from Pan . (we dont have any way of getting any DNA from Australopithecenes )
genoves

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:19 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for the information, farmerman. Somewhere, I had read that and had forgotten it. Your post reminds me that we can much more easily learn about the past since there is material-bones, rocks, layers of sediment- to learn from whereas when we try to do modeling by putting in parameters in a computer, we are many times making useless predictions about the future, especially if we are attempting to predict climate in the distant future.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:58 pm
Whoa! Did anybody see that jet?

T
K
O
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:44 pm
Re: farmerman (Post 3571191)
Thanks for the information, farmerman. Somewhere, I had read that and had forgotten it. Your post reminds me that we can much more easily learn about the past since there is material-bones, rocks, layers of sediment- to learn from whereas when we try to do modeling by putting in parameters in a computer, we are many times making useless predictions about the future, especially if we are attempting to predict climate in the distant future.
0 Replies