Why We Crave Certain Foods

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:01 am
@jespah,
BREAD- The more "carbified" the better. I love black bread, pumpernickel, and other whole grain breads that have a lot of substance to it.

I don't remember any 28 day cravings, but when I was pregnant with my son, I lusted after stuffed cabbage and kishka. There was a great little deli within walking distance of my house, and I availed myself of their products on a regular basis.
jespah

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:10 am
@Phoenix32890,
Ha, well salt and fat I can understand -- garlic, maybe, might've been a part of the attraction there.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:17 pm
@jespah,
I keep thinking back to fried onions. I'm not sure I crave them, but I always like them. It's a bit different, I think.

Same thing with mashed potatoes. I can go a long time between meals that include mashed potatoes, but I'm not sure that I've ever been faced with mashed taters that I didn't like.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:40 pm
A craving for non-foods (or non-prepared foodstuffs) is called 'pica'.

It has been postulated that it is connected to a deficiency in the case of earths or clay (geophagy). This is actually common in the southern USA, to the point that action is required to discourage it:

Quote:
''In Alabama, damage to roadbanks in some places has been so extensive that the highway department has posted signs requesting local residents not to dig into them''

The danger is that these substances could impact in the bowel or contain dangerous contaminants. This behaviour should be seen as separate from incidents of self-harm.
NickFun

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 11:06 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Keep in mind, we're talking about Alabama. Paste is a delicacy there.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:27 am
@jespah,
You do know I'm out of that cycle, jes?

But I remember it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 02:00 am
@NickFun,
Indeed. The 'traditional' Southern diet:

Quote:
Much of the South’s traditional foods date back to the days of slavery. Frying was preferable in the region’s hot climate, since it didn’t take as long as baking and didn’t heat up a house as much. Plus, Burley said, workers didn’t have all day to prepare meals; they had to get back into the fields to work. Lard was also plentiful. Today, frying still is popular, especially in poor areas of the South, because it is also inexpensive.

While it’s quick, easy and adds flavor, frying loads ordinarily healthy foods with calories and fat.

“One of the common things in the South is that you fry everything,” said Dr. Nicholas Lang, chief of staff of the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System in Little Rock. “It’s a major grease-transport mechanism " there’s no idea how much calories you get when you get that.”

Those of a gentle persuasion may wish to skip the next bit....

Quote:
When Becky Cleaveland is out with her girlfriends, they all pick at salads except for the petite Atlanta woman. She tackles “The Hamdog.”

The dish, a specialty of Mulligan’s, a suburban bar, is a hot dog wrapped by a beef patty that’s deep fried, covered with chili, cheese and onions and served on a hoagie bun. Oh yeah, it’s also topped with a fried egg and two fistfuls of fries.

http://www.alexloveseverything.com/uploaded_images/hamdog-709697.jpg

Somebody should alert the UN! As for craving it....
jespah

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:10 am
I bet Becky's got some skeery-looking arteries.

Frying is definitely a go-to preparation for a lot of people. It adds flavor very quickly so it dovetails in with our hurry up culture, I suppose. I guess it's why slow cooking and roasting have their devotees -- the opposite, to try to get away from a hurry up culture and take your time with preparation and presentation.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:06 pm
@jespah,
The very words "Lard was plentiful" is enough to get me looking for a bucket.

As for 'slow cooking' - I certainly hope that it involves some vegetables.

There was a cooking show (Christ, when did cooks/chefs become the new rockstars?) with two old bats from England, zipping around in a motorbike/sidecar combo, preparing 'traditional English fare'. **** me!! Whenever they came across anything that seemed remotely healthy out would come the lard or they'd just wrap an inch of bacon around the item in question. Sure it was 'slow' - as in 'slow' death.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:40 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Quote:
There was a cooking show (Christ, when did cooks/chefs become the new rockstars?) with two old bats from England, zipping around in a motorbike/sidecar combo, preparing 'traditional English fare'. **** me!! Whenever they came across anything that seemed remotely healthy out would come the lard or they'd just wrap an inch of bacon around the item in question.

Laughing Two Fat Ladies.
I agree, shocking food! Shocked
jespah

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 03:45 am
@msolga,
Yep. Surprisingly, I don't think they got much of a following here.

Slow cooking -- it's actually better for vegetables, I've found. Next experiment will be chicken soup with carrots, celery and onions, done in the cooker. Should be good for the coming colder weather.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 03:55 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Surprisingly, I don't think they got much of a following here

Duh! Now there was another British cooking lady...

http://morningchuhi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nigella129.jpg

Even my father - who never gave a stuff about TV cooks - was interested.

This is the only cooking show that was shown in slo-mo...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 04:08 am
Oh yeah Nigella Lawson. I think she went somewhat Hollywood here or I might have her confused with another cooking tart.

Two people who make a lot of comfort food are Paula Deen and Rachael Ray. At least Paula never makes a pretense that her stuff is healthy, but Rachael will go on and on about how healthy her stuff is, even if she's extra generous with the olive oil or salt. Oy.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 08:10 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
another cooking tart

Sir! You are talking about the woman I love!
roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:59 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Can you do that Hamdog in a skillet? I don't have a deep fryer.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 03:46 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Quote:
another cooking tart

When did I become a sir?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:00 pm
Despite what Pelchat says, I believe that "the wisdom of the body" is a strong factor in food cravings. Being a partial vegetarian myself I can tell when I need to eat more protein, likewise more carbohydrates.

Many animals have strong cravings for minerals and will travel many miles to mineral and salt deposits to satisfy cravings. Geophagia is the eating of soil deposits by pregnant women to satisfy increased mineral needs.

The intellect doesn't rule the body's cravings, but it often masks and rationalizes them. That is not to say that many food cravings are not mere habit, but many of them may be messages received unconsciously from our bodies to satisfy nutritional needs. An infant craves milk, and that craving will not be satisfied by water. As we grow older our intellects may control more and more our choices of food, but out bodies also will send strong unconscious messages if it is starving for certain nutrients.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:47 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Re: Mr Stillwater (Post 3439291)
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Quote:
another cooking tart

When did I become a sir?

Since when did the woman I love become a tart? Now if she was acually aware of my existence.......

..she'd be glad that I'm living on the other side of the world.
jespah

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 03:54 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Perhaps I meant she was sweet and, er, glazed?
Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 03:26 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Re: Mr Stillwater (Post 3440456)
Perhaps I meant she was sweet and, er, glazed?

A little known fact. I would betray my country ( and many, many other countries) for this woman. Whether she has been dipped in some sort of sugar-confection or just plopped naked into my lap is only a concern for me, and whatever gods that could make such an event happen.