U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 04:43 pm
@farmerman,
Me too!
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 09:50 pm
I think the reason why people don't take evolution theory seriously because it is still at a hypothetical stage of missing links, continued investigations and unconfirmed evolutionary biological processes. Its not bullet proof yet. Maybe one day if or when the mystery veil is removed people will take it seriously.
Don't get me wrong I do think it is a valid concept and process for all things in our universe, its just the whats, hows and whys that keep it up the air so to speak...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:07 pm
@Amoh5,
What are you talking about? It's not hypothetical. It's based on observable facts. Evolution was proven by Charles Darwin with the Darwin finches. Since then, other scientists have proven evolution from bones, DNA, and bacteria.
Amoh5

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes there are confirmations on certain cases, but not everything has been confirmed and sealed. Investigations on historical biological evolution still continues, its not over yet. There's still a lot more work to be done...
Briancrc

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 05:28 am
@Amoh5,
http://www.nas.edu/evolution/TheoryOrFact.html

Quote:
In that respect, the past and continuing occurrence of evolution is a scientific fact. Because the evidence supporting it is so strong, scientists no longer question whether biological evolution has occurred and is continuing to occur. Instead, they investigate the mechanisms of evolution, how rapidly evolution can take place, and related questions.

Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:08 am
@Briancrc,
Like I said I am not an evolution denier, I am saying the case is not yet closed, the investigations are still ongoing, and they will probably be still ongoing after we have gone.
If someone told me that scientists now know everything there is to know about evolution I'd say to them "bollocks" go back to sleep your dreaming...
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:12 am
People are wasting their time talking to Amoh, here. What he is offering is just a variation on the holy rollers' "it's just a theory" line of bullsh"t. Evolution is a fact, whether he knows it or not. Attempting to discuss it with him is the intellectual equivalent of banging one's head against a brick wall.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:25 am
It's a question of whether evolution by mutation and natural selection alone can account for our existence.

If that were the case I would accept that as fact. It's not a matter of finding a different or better belief; with everything I know about science, I have been unable to convince myself that evolution is up to the job.
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
. . . with everything I know about science . . .

Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

The comic relief around here is just unending.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:37 am
@Setanta,
I just knew that was coming. And from someone who knows my scientific background sooo well!
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:42 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
I just knew that was coming.

First you write this . . .

Quote:
. . . my scientific background . . .

Then you repeat this blather. It just gets more and more hilarious.

Yeah . . . you just knew, Mr. Science.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Things evolve into existence, they don't just magically pop out of thin air... Well I know you already knew that?
Briancrc

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:43 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Like I said I am not an evolution denier

It's not easy to see that you have accepted the evidence for evolution from the other things written, but if you say that you don't deny it then I accept what you say. Regarding the statement that scientists say that all about the subject has been learned is nothing I've read or heard scientists saying, so unless you find some good evidence to contradict this I think it's safe to assume that scientists are not yet out of a job.

If one tries to argue that we don't yet know ENOUGH to confirm evolution, then I think we're back to denying evolution, and by extension, rational, logical thinking.
Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 06:56 am
@Briancrc,
Like I said to Leadfoot things just don't magically pop out of thin air, they evolve into existence. Now we must investigate how, why, where, what, which etc etc... case not yet closed...
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 07:14 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Things evolve into existence, they don't just magically pop out of thin air... Well I know you already knew that?

Biological systems do evolve but the systems that 'evolve into existence' or pop out of thin air are almost equally rare.

When something like a new element evolves from existing ones, they do so by clearly defined and understood rules. This is a case where 'physics envy' occurs in biology. There the rules are not understood well enough to explain everything in spite of some insisting that they are.
Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 07:54 am
@Leadfoot,
So I guess the issue towards evolution is still the same, which is how, why, what, where, who etc etc. So if scientists can complete that puzzle then the case is closed. But I am figuring that they won't complete the puzzle for some time or if ever...
Braincrc was trying to convince me that I should now believe anything an evolution scientist tells me because they have confirmed some aspects of evolution. But I'm not going to believe any evolution scientist unless they have substantial evidence. Is this the atheist's version of "blind faith.?"
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 08:15 am
@Amoh5,
why and "who" can keep you guys busy forever. Science is busy enough with the rest.
The principal argument herein is based upon a point as simple as " why do many Fundamentalist Christians wish to use 3.00 for "pi". If you cant accept facts then just try to make some kind of refutation based on some degree of scholarship fa Ckrise sakes.

Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 08:21 am
@farmerman,
Scientists haven't figured out everything about evolution, they are still working on it not to mention historical evolution. Go back to sleep you're dreaming...
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 08:26 am
God, what an @ssjole . . . that's a classic case of the argument from ignorance.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 08:29 am
@Amoh5,
so that is your basis of a "scholarly discussion" eh? Well, Ill pass and let you carry on .
0 Replies