U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 08:58 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
God, what an @ssjole . . . that's a classic case of the argument from ignorance.

I'm not sure which is worse, argument from ignorance or argument from insult.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 09:11 am
@Leadfoot,
As long as the insult is on the money, its a great tool. Otherwise the argument descends into one of total ignorance.
Your fried totally ignores FACTS . So far as I know, thats not a strong basis in which to build an argument of those subject.

Kinda like playing "air Guitar". He looks silly and nothins coming out .
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
As long as the insult is on the money, its a great tool.

I've just never seen that tool accomplish much good.

But welcome back farmer, you were missed.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 09:44 am
@Leadfoot,
I think the rules of scholarship must suprcede those of ettiiquette. Id rather learn and be called an iidiot until I find out about what Im talking. Denying ones ignorance is a waste of bytes and time.
Besides, I often engage in applied insult and seem to get passes by the insutlted. Whyzat?
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 10:11 am
@Leadfoot,
Thnkee. Wheres layman? I dont think we would agree on the Universal Gravitation Equations but I dont think the insults stopped the interaction.
PS didnt you recently have some knee surgery? Howd that go?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 10:15 am
@farmerman,
Farma ya back you son of a gun ! Hope you are feeling better now. Smile
I was starting to get worried with ya...you went missing for sometime.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 10:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Besides, I often engage in applied insult and seem to get passes by the insutlted. Whyzat?

You're just too damn subtle. They may have missed it entirely.
Setanta never has this problem.

Good question, don't know where layman went. Miss him too.

Glad your visit to the repair shop went ok.
Mine was Hip replacement/revision (3rd time) with other complications. Could have lost the leg but lucked out and got to keep it. Modifying all the toys for one legged operation would have been a PITA.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 10:58 am
@Leadfoot,
not to probe too much but was there some arterial involvement or just "meat" trquma?
When I got blowed up Ive since had to live with all sorts of major veinous reconstruction and areas of my body that will never again experience any feeling or tempretarure (with the exception of deep cold). We have the technology but as I said about my new found experience with medical remote sensing--It all leads up to a whole new page in the books of medical ethics.
ie--"Now that we can sense almost anything in "exploratory" scanning, e may doscover something that could be serious from another area , does tat mean the scanning should result in a report to another team? (Turns out that it does- ).
I went in for really serious pancreatitis and came out with a bout 2 precancerous polyps, a whole bunch of "unremarkeable masses" and mostly normal tissue. This is something that, until just fairly recently, wasnt even a concern.
I guess Im officially in the bales of being a "geronyology patient" I have all these ethical decisions to be part of also.

They use a lot of RFIDs instead of barcodeing of patients because they have certain surgery pavilions that are autonomously driven to,and each equipped with robotic micro surgerycaAsk farmerman about his undersea 'black smokers' for his candidate for first life.abilities .

I was impressed like any farmer would be I suppose.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:20 am
@farmerman,
Christians are afraid of the truth, because it goes against their god's creation myth.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:43 am
@farmerman,
The plumbing was ok, it was the electrical system that took a hit. No open wires but the myelin insulation was damaged and prone to more damage during hip surgery. Lost dorsiflexor function the time before this (hence the online name) but worse was phantom pain from knee to toes. The danger this time was more loss of function or more phantom pain either of which would lead me to request removal since I wouldn't care to keep for cosmetics only.

Yes, the improvement in automation was apparent. My favorite gadget was a non invasive ultra sound gizmo that gave a readout of bladder contents accurate to a cc in a couple of seconds.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
yeh but it seems to be more a US thing ( there are pockets of Fundamentalist thinking in the rest of Christendom , but not nearly as wacky as ours).

Hell, we have hillbilly counties in Tenn and W Va who are taking one line out of a King James bible and making a whole religion out of it. (And this religion requires you to chew on deadly nightshade and pick up and dance with rattle snakes). Id say that as fucked up as a klan rally.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:47 am
@farmerman,
Worth looking into this thread just for this post.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:52 am
@Leadfoot,
I have a buddy who lost dorsiflexor function of his right foot (from severe trauma) and had his gas line and throttle linked to his knee. (He does funny -car drag racing which is, IMHO, as much a sport as is anvil launching). Im always teasing him but as he has probably the fastest bass boat in Pa, and he uses me to set outdrive electric motors when we get to a good spot, we have a mutual respect of the walking wounded.
Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 01:18 pm
@Leadfoot,
Given that you often wander on away from the subject, babbling more and more as you go along, that's no argument at all.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
I guess you didn't read my previous posts, I don't deny evolution. It's a logical process for all living things, they don't just magically pop out of thin air.
Your assumption that current evolution research by scientists is now over, they now know everything about evolution and there are no more questions.
Do you seriously expect me to believe that? If you do, you are the one who is definitely playing an air guitar...
I'm not out to discredit some of the research that scientists have achieved on evolution theory, but I am also aware that evolution theory is still an ongoing research, they haven't figured it all out yet...
Actually, that was my answer to why some people don't take evolution theory too serously...
parados

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 04:39 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Scientists haven't figured out everything about evolution, they are still working on it not to mention historical evolution.

Another things scientists haven't figured everything out about -

gravity -

Go jump off a building if you think not knowing everything is reason to doubt it.

Not knowing everything isn't proof that what we do know is wrong. In fact what we do know fits the evidence really well and better than any other hypothesis.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 04:40 pm
@Amoh5,
What haven't they "figured out yet?" I'm not talking about gravity. It's about genetics and evolution.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 04:42 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Your assumption that current evolution research by scientists is now over, they now know everything about evolution and there are no more questions.
Do you seriously expect me to believe that? If you do, you are the one who is definitely playing an air guitar...

Did you grow all the straw yourself for that argument or did you evolve it out of your ignorance? FM has never claimed that we know everything about evolution.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
had his gas line and throttle linked to his knee.

Interesting solution. I lost some fine motor skill on the foot 'push' but for normal driving and lower classes of road racing, a heavier throttle return spring compensated enough. That knee trick could work good for higher powered classes where finer control is a must.

I agree about drag racing, anvil launching - Ha!
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 05:02 pm
@parados,
I think you are the one who grows straw and dopey assumptions. Read all the posts. He was discrediting my comment on why people don't take evolution too seriously. I think you need to go back to bed, your dreaming...
0 Replies