New A2K annoyances

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
I apologize for blaspheming against the bottom-up philosophy on the new site, but I have to make an appeal to the moderators: Could you please manipulate the popularity of the"Testing" tag enough for it to make the list of "popular tags"?

I believe the blasphemy is forgiveable in this particular case because exceptional circumstances apply to "testing": On the one hand, the new site boosts the need to try things out. On the other hand, two factors artificially diminish the popularity of the "testing" tag --

(1) The testing forum on the old site was supremely unpopular, because that site was so mature no user cared to test anything anymore. It hasn't always been like that: I remember this forum being quite quite popular when I arrived at the old A2K, half a year after it launched.

(2) Threads in "testing" got deleted after a while, so the new software probably thinks nobody ever posted there in the first place. This is not correct.

So, could you please rig the system and artificially vote "testing" up into "popular tags"?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:01 pm
@OnTheFritz,
On The Fritz wrote-

Quote:
I had trouble finding this thread again since I've been gone a couple hours. To make an over-the-top comparison, it's like if the houses in your neighborhood moved around every time you and your neighbors were gone and when you got home you had to drive around awhile 'til you found yours.

That's not an "over-the-top" comparison. It is very apt. I wish I had thought of it.

And you would have to drive around awhile to find your friends too. And what with the price of gas these days it would be beyond the reach of the average American's scarce resources and friends would cease to exist except in the limited scope of greeting card exchanges on the anniversary of some important event such as the birth of Our Lord.

That's what I mean by alienating.
spendius

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
@spendius,
And I don't even know now how I found this thread. I was just doodling.

And that's not all. If Thomas hadn't said he had blasphemed on the previous page I wouldn't have gone to look what he blasphemed about, which he hadn't of course, and then I wouldn't have seen On The Fritz's super metaphor and my last post would still be out there in the ether waiting to be written on some other occasion when such an inspiration occurs.

Wandering around so to speak and "having the crack", as we say here, for a few moments with whoever we happen to bump into thus necessitating a certain shallowness to every conversation.

Like the streets in the old mill towns being demolished and the occupants moved to suburban settings where the sun always shines and Mom is at the door smiling and eager to take your muddy shirt and render it blindingly white with the help of minute quantities of certain substances known to make anything white bulked up with chalk or some other cheap substitute and a cocker spaniel is wagging its tail.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 05:44 pm
@sozobe,
the tag for enviroment annoys me

e n v i r o n m e n t

I know. It's just spelling.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 09:55 pm
member provided links dont seem to open in a new tab.
I have firefox set to open links in a new tab.
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm
@dadpad,
but only sometimes i have now found out.
maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 12:04 pm
@Thomas,
I was just about to post about my iphone experience with this site; I agree with what you've written.

The ONLY other request that I would have is if there was a way to space out the page links at the bottom for mobile browsers so I wouldn't have to zoom all the way in to switch to another page.

It is a much better mobile experience though. Thank you,
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:37 pm
sort of amusing.... the up and down thumbs seem to float about a bit. Is this just me / my computer?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
Can we get the main page tag list alphabetized?
Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 04:06 pm
@littlek,
No, because that would give individual trolls the power to mess up the list by adding bullshit tags like "aaaaa_littlek_sucks". You get the idea.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:16 pm
Minor quibble - I find I want to click on to, say, page 5 or 6 if New Posts, and always have to get to the bottom of the page to maneuver that. (Yes, I know I can change the url, but doing it the old fashioned click on way..) So , while I like the top of the page being clear, I also miss being able to find that page scale thing... mixed feelings.
Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:52 am
@dadpad,
It's when they use anchor text or not. It will be standardized but I personally prefer same tab because I can then select to open it in a new one or not. But given that the site loses fewer visitors if it's a new window/tab we may stick with it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 12:55 am
@Thomas,
Exactly, but we'll do something to make them easier to use.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:07 am
@ossobuco,
Weird, now I see the paging thing at the top of the page. Beg your pardon.. my quibble is gone.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 02:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Weird, now I see the paging thing at the top of the page. Beg your pardon.. my quibble is gone.

Ah, sorry, when I said that I must have been looking at an actual thread.
I still have my quibble re the opening home page, which is for me a list of topics in order of most recent post first. On that page, we only see 1, 2, 3... [large numbers] next, on the bottom, and subsequent to working my way along to, say, page 7 one at a time after I achieve page 3, I always have to find the bottom of the page to make more progress. whether it is to page 5, or next. SO, I would personally like to have those page number notations at the top of the page too, even though it is cluttering.

I do like that when I look at the URL, thinking maybe I'll just jump to page 15 to see what's there, the end of the url number corresponds to the page I'm on.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 04:53 pm
I can't find any tags that are not "popular".
When I go to "my posts", the page is filled with just the one or two threads in which I've recently posted. Is there a function to somewhat re-enable "my posts" the way they used to display: new posts on every thread I've participated?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 08:45 am
Ignore button is now working in IE7.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 09:33 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
I can't find any tags that are not "popular".

This is in the category of "probably an easier way, but what I do..."

Click on a tag, any tag.

Manually replace the tag you click on with the tag you're looking for.

For example:

Click on the "english" tag in "popular tags." That takes you here:

http://able2know.org/tag/english/

Then just erase "english" and replace it with anything you want. For example:

http://able2know.org/tag/olympics/

Another way:

Click on the "popular tag" that is closest to what you're looking for. For example, if you're looking for "olympics," click on "sports." "Olympics" is in the "related tag" box on the "sports" tag page.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:30 am
@sozobe,
"fbaezer wrote:
I can't find any tags that are not "popular"."

Or, click the tag you want from inside a thread.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:30 am
Sorting by "most votes" while viewing a tag is now fixed. Thanks, guys.
0 Replies