Can a Tax Assessor enter my property to measure my home?

Lawabider

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:30 am
@JPB,
He never even bothered. The house is over 100 years old. My taxes went down. I just don't like the idea of agents entering my property to measure the outside of my home when I am perfectly able to measure it myself. Doesn't the assessor trust me? I guess in this country one is guilty until proven innocent. Hmmm
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:36 am
@Green Witch,
What happened to being self reliant? Why do we have to rely on the government to do everything for us.

As president J.F. Kennedy said, " Its not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

That is what family, friends, and neighbors are for. I am perfectly capable of volunteering to fix or plow my own road, dispose of my own garbage, using solar and wind power to produce energy, pump my own water, raise my own food, and use wood to heat my home.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:57 pm
@Lawabider,
Gee, you must have a lot of time on your hands. I do almost everything on your list, I could be called a homesteader in the modern sense. We are close to being off grid, and at times, have grown about 40% of our food. Plus I've started food pantries, voluntary simplicity workshops and literacy volunteer classes. I also own my own business. However, I have no desire (or time) to fix the pot holes on community roads, build bridges or remove long dead road kill. I want my tax money to go for that, and in doing so I help employ my fellow Americans. Most of my neighbors don't give a crap about their country - other than to complain about it. If you think the common man should take care of his country, just because it's the right thing to do, I suggest you go help out groups like Habitat for Humanity and Planned Parenthood. I have. The government is not composed of Martians, but rather the people who represent us and our needs. If America has been taken over by corporate lobbyists it's our own damn fault and we should demand a change. I see paying taxes as investment in the future of America, so get off your high horse, Lawabider.
Lawabider

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:57 pm
@Green Witch,
...and if you do not pay your property taxes the government will come to your home with guns drawn and kill you if you resist eviction. This is not the free country our forefathers envisioned.
panzade

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 02:24 pm
@Lawabider,
c'mon now...you've been rantin on 2 threads and it's gettin tedious.
Show me a news item where someone didn't pay property taxes and the county came after them with guns drawn.
I guess if you resist eviction with an Ak47 you're gonna get your ass shot...is that what you mean by a free country?...free to do stupid stuff?
0 Replies

kmangels

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 10:10 am
@Lawabider,
I live in Mi also. The assessors office was here yesterday to measure only my home, they did not come inside. The assessor's office did not measure our house right even we had the plans at the township for a meeting during building, they did not add on the additional 4 foot we added at the time we built our home, nor did they add the finished basement. Can we get re-billed for there mistakes.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 11:09 am
Grave digging going on here...
0 Replies

Cristel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:29 am
@Lawabider,
You must be cleared that why he has that authority to do that.
0 Replies