Can a Tax Assessor enter my property to measure my home?

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 12:49 pm
He wants my permission to enter the property. I think he wants to re-assess the value of my home. I'm afraid my taxes will increase. What if I don't want him to measure it? Can he over ride my authority and enter my property anyway. We have "no trespassing" signs up. Does that help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 26,974 • Replies: 27
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 12:59 pm
You might try asking him "why?"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 01:30 pm
tell him to f*ck himself and if he wants to enter your home bring some official paperwork. That's just me though, I'm grumpy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:05 pm
He doesn't need to come into the house.

It seems he wants to measure the area of the building(s).

If that is so, than the answer is yes he can do that.

Have you made enlargements to the house since the last appraisal?

If you have, you should have had to fill out the appropriate permit paperwork at your local appraisal office.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 02:21 pm
My understanding of it is that they are generally allowed to enter your home to determine if you have made capital improvement that would affect the assessed valuation of your home (finished basement, remodeled kitchen/baths etc) - basically anything that requires a building permit. It depends on where you live but the State Constitution generally grants assessing bodies the authority to establish base valuations every 10 or 20 years or so. Base valuations generally are defined as physical inspections of the property. He would have no right to enter your home without permission unless they were performing a base valuation - meaning they are doing physical assessments of every home in the area.

I have no idea of the consequences of refusing to allow an assessor to enter your dwelling during a base valuation period or if your state laws are written this way.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
Re: Can a Tax Assessor enter my property to measure my home?
Lawabider wrote:
He wants my permission to enter the property. I think he wants to re-assess the value of my home. I'm afraid my taxes will increase. What if I don't want him to measure it? Can he over ride my authority and enter my property anyway. We have "no trespassing" signs up. Does that help?

In what state do you live?
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Lawabider wrote:

I live in Michigan.
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:54 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Lawabider wrote:

I live in Michigan.
sullyfish6

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 03:03 pm
How far do you want to push it?

Have you ever tried to get your assessment lowered? It's like pleading before the Supreme Court.

What do you have to hide? If you re-did your basement, added another bathroom, then your value of your house will go up - ergo your taxes.
But it won't be enough to offset him getting mad and just putting a bigger figure on it.

With the Michigan economy, there won't be many big raises in property taxes. The public (at least those of us left around here in this great State) will revolt!!

- from a fellow Michigander
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:48 pm
I vote against every millage to force a tax on property owners.

We as voters have gotten into this predicament by voting to taxes ourselves.

You can revolt by voting against any tax, millage tax, bond tax, etc. that your township, county, state, and government try to force you to pay.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 07:00 pm
Vote your heart out, lawabiber, but unless a simple majority agrees with your voting strategy then you are compelled to live with, and follow the laws of, the majority in your community/county/state. Or,... let us know how your civil disobedience pans out....

I actually love involved citizens taking part in making changes and standing up for those thing that are important to them. Running up against the property assessor is an interesting effort indeed.

Are you planning on using a shotgun or a simple refusal in your attempts to keep the assessor at bay?
Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 07:02 pm
Lawabider wrote:

You can revolt by voting against any tax, millage tax, bond tax, etc. that your township, county, state, and government try to force you to pay.

Who is going to fix the roads you drive on? Who is going to pay for the police and fire protection you now have? Get over it. Invest in your country and stop whining about it.

As to your question - you do not have to let the inspector in. They can use existing records to determine square footage, number of bedrooms/bathrooms etc. If you did building without a permit you might have trouble when you go to sell your house.
Lawabider

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:13 am
JPB wrote:
Vote your heart out, lawabiber, but unless a simple majority agrees with your voting strategy then you are compelled to live with, and follow the laws of, the majority in your community/county/state. Or,... let us know how your civil disobedience pans out....

I actually love involved citizens taking part in making changes and standing up for those thing that are important to them. Running up against the property assessor is an interesting effort indeed.

Are you planning on using a shotgun or a simple refusal in your attempts to keep the assessor at bay?

Thank you for your reply, however, voting against taxes is not "civil disobediance." It is excercising our rights of citizens. Where would this country be had our forefathers obeyed every whim of the King of England. Our country was born from revolution and we are way overdue for for another one in my opinion. I am not talking about a violent over throw, but one of marked change in policies which will end corruption and tyranny by those elected officials and judges in power.

I have seen too much corruption in the news and first hand where elected officials, police officers, lawyers, and judges lie through their teeth to get their ways when they know they are in the wrong. Talk about whiners!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:23 am
Lawabider wrote:

I never said that voting equates to civil disobedience. You indicated you wanted to keep the assessor out of your house. I asked how you planned on doing that. You're the one who brought voting into the discussion. Voting has nothing to do with whether or not the assessor can enter your home.
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:38 am
Green Witch wrote:
Lawabider wrote:

Who is going to fix the roads you drive on? Who is going to pay for the police and fire protection you now have? Get over it. Invest in your country and stop whining about it.

As to your question - you do not have to let the inspector in. They can use existing records to determine square footage, number of bedrooms/bathrooms etc. If you did building without a permit you might have trouble when you go to sell your house.

My biggest "pet peeve" is when people think that the government is some sort of "mother figure" who is there to look out for our best interests.

What happened to being self sufficient. If you want police protection, put a fence around your home and get a gun. If you want fire protection, get a fire extinquisher and good insurance. As for roads, I think our country needs to keep our tax money in this country instead of dishing it out in the billons to rebuild other foreign countries.

What I don't like is being forced to pay. Why is the burden almost always put on the property owners when a local government wants money for some project.

Is it fair for people who rent in your community to be able to vote to raise property taxes of home owners? Idiotic!

As for investing in this country: I say, tell that to Uncle Sam when you see all our wasted tax money going overseas.

Getting back to the Tax assessor...He says he wants to come by and take measurements AND taken pictures. I never heard of this. All permits where pulled for any changes that where made years ago. They have all the measurements down at the court house. I don't understand why he wants this request besides to snoop. I keep you all updated on the outcome.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:36 am
Last weekend the Grand Haven police arrested a guy who was carrying a Glock on his hip, in a holster.

What they don't know is that open carry is legal in Michigan. But do they care? The cops do whatever the hell they THINK the law means - and it's always on THEIR side.

That isn't how it's supposed to work - and they are about to find out the truth. I'm with you lawabider - and truth sometimes hurts.
0 Replies

Lawabider

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
The tax assessor say, "by law I'm required to measure and photograph your house every 10-15 years."

Now try this experiment: Anytime someone says, "By law, I'm required to do this or that..." You reply to them: "And where is this in writing? Can you state me this law that you are referring to?

100% of the time I get a blank look.

They say to me something like, "Gee, no one has ever asked me that before.....er...I don't know...ummm...it must be somewhere....I really don't know...I'm just assuming it's the law...."

It is too convenient for government officials and those who think they have some sort of "power" over you to state, "because it's the law." Many times it is just a case of them being ignorant of the law, in my opinion.

They can say for example, " You are required by law to hop on 1 foot, twirl around and spell the alphabet backwards when every you apply for a permit or come to pay your taxes."

The weird thing is that most people actually BELIEVE WHAT THEY ARE TOLD is the law, without even questioning it.

Have we as a people become so complacent as to act like robots. Always, always, question authority....Remember those bumper stickers you've seen that say "Question Authority"

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust my government to look out for my best interests.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
Lawabider wrote:
The tax assessor say, "by law I'm required to measure and photograph your house every 10-15 years."

Now try this experiment: Anytime someone says, "By law, I'm required to do this or that..." You reply to them: "And where is this in writing? Can you state me this law that you are referring to?

I do that all the time. I'm not disagreeing with you but don't be surprised in this case if he's telling the truth. Base assessments are generally called for every 10 or 20 years by state or county statute (10 - 15 in your case). Photos? New to me -- I'd ask to see the statute on that too.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:52 am
Lawabider wrote:
JPB wrote:

Thank you for your reply, however, voting against taxes is not "civil disobediance." It is excercising our rights of citizens. Where would this country be had our forefathers obeyed every whim of the King of England. Our country was born from revolution and we are way overdue for for another one in my opinion. I am not talking about a violent over throw, but one of marked change in policies which will end corruption and tyranny by those elected officials and judges in power.

I have seen too much corruption in the news and first hand where elected officials, police officers, lawyers, and judges lie through their teeth to get their ways when they know they are in the wrong. Talk about whiners!

there will be no revolution without bloodshed, just look at england, they were aqcoss an EFFING OCEAN, and they still decided to engage in combat with america.

sorry, the world does not operate like that.

the strongest and most leveraged dominate, they impose their will on everyone and enforce rules that must be broken in order to end the cycle of dynastic power. otherwise following the rules just leads to the rules keeping them in power. in other words, they change the system to set people up to faqil by using the system.

i know! it sux! but aint nothing in life free especially freedom.

corruption/tyranny is like cancer. if u leave a little bit it just grows back, and once its gone you have to keep up your medication to keep it gone.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:54 am
cjhsa wrote:
Last weekend the Grand Haven police arrested a guy who was carrying a Glock on his hip, in a holster.

What they don't know is that open carry is legal in Michigan. But do they care? The cops do whatever the hell they THINK the law means - and it's always on THEIR side.

That isn't how it's supposed to work - and they are about to find out the truth. I'm with you lawabider - and truth sometimes hurts.

well what happened? in court i mean?

i read once of a guy with a gun and the police tried for like30 minutes to persuade him into givin it to them, in the end they even said "can you just disassamble it?"

they let him walk, but still. if you cant trust your "guardians" what does that tell you?
0 Replies