Thread for cooks and foodies

fgkee

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 01:24 am
Are there any other cooks and/or food enthusiasts here?

I'm really into various Asian Cusines, especially Thai.

Here we can discuss various cuisines, recipes, ingredients, techniques and just general good food and drink stuff.

Edit: Today I came up with this fantastic Moroccan kabob recipe. Chicken marinated in orange juice and olive oil with a touch of lime, fresh ginger, garlic, orange rind, cinnamon, coriander, tumeric, cumin, a touch of brown sugar, pepper and salt. After marinating for about 30 minutes, I sprinkled some extra spice rub on the chicken and grilled it.

Then I made veggie kabobs using blanched carrots and some zucchini (with a touch of the spice rub sprinkled over them before grilling)

Lastly, I made a couscous using chicken stock, saffron, pine nuts, garlic and finished with some roasted red peppers.

All served with various olives on the side.

Yummy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,654 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:41 pm
Hi fgkee - there are a number of people interested in food and recipes at Able2know.

That's an interesting sounding combo. How did you find the orange rind added to the marinade?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 01:17 pm
I for one would like to find out how to make my own Thai Curry (specifically Panang Curry).

I've scoured this country in search of a decent Panang Curry and was left wanting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 02:55 pm
Interested in the panang curry too..

(ehBeth, love your new avatar)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 07:33 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
I for one would like to find out how to make my own Thai Curry (specifically Panang Curry).

I've scoured this country in search of a decent Panang Curry and was left wanting.

This is Charmaine Solomon's Panang Curry paste.

I have not made this recipe, but her stuff is usually great. Anyhoo, mebbe worth trying:

10 long dried chillies

Half a cup (4 fluid ozs) water

I teaspoon grated kaffir lime rind

4 slices galangal (fresh, frozen or dried)

Half a cup chopped shallots, or spring onions (you may call them scallions?)

2 stalks lemon grass, finely sliced

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

8 fresh coriander (cilantro.chinese parsley to you?) roots, chopped.

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns

2 teaspoons shrimp paste

1 tablespoon fish sauce

2 teaspoons salt

Half a cup (4 oz) crunchy peanut butter

Onr third of a cup (two and a half fluid ozs) peanut oil.

This makes about one and a half cups

Break open chillies, discard the stems and seeds (obviously, if you adore hot curry, you'd leave some seeds in according to taste, or just serve with crushed dried chillies for people to add if they wish) and soak the chillies in hot water for fifteen minutes.

Put the chillies, with the soaking water, and all the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the peanut butter and the oil) into an electric blender and blend to a smooth puree.

Stir in the peanut butter and oil, bottle, and store in the refrigerator.

Use about 3 tablespoons of this curry paste to each 500g (1lb) of meat or poultry.

She has a full recipe for beef panang and pork panang. I am going out now, but if anyone would like, I am happy to post them both later.

Just let me know if you want 'em, Robert and/or Osso.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 04:46 am
ya had me going along until you hit the Niuk Mam, too many bad memories on that one. That and cumin. Cannot stand the taste of those two or else i go into a PTSD event.

I will substitute KETCHUP
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:52 am
dlowan wrote:
Just let me know if you want 'em, Robert and/or Osso.

harrumph
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:58 am
farmerman wrote:
ya had me going along until you hit the Niuk Mam, too many bad memories on that one. That and cumin. Cannot stand the taste of those two or else i go into a PTSD event.

I will substitute KETCHUP

Really, that is interesting (the PTSD event from tastes, I mean).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:28 am
Sorry, back to topic. This thread and Mame's food thread have inspired me to look at my untried recipes (there are many). I have gotten in a food rut, bringing easy, prepared foods to school for lunch and having some sort of pasta for dinner. Now it's summer and I crave Mexican food. While I often eat mexican out because it's cheap, I started collecting interesting mexican recipes for an at-home attempt.

I will attempt a more realistic huevos rancheros, a turkey-lime soup and (or?) a turkey mole dish - making the sauces from scratch. I'll post recipes later if anyone is interested.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 06:57 pm
Farmerman: I guess you are a Vietnam veteran if you know about Nuk Maam.

I know the smell is awful when it is made....smelled it in the streets of any city in Vietnam, particularly Saigon. The taste when added to food is absolutely different! It is delightful!

On Oriental carpets? Now that is something you don't want to happen! When my husband and I moved from Maryland to Chicago in '91( we moved back to Maryland in '97) we discovered the movers had stuffed a small Qum Persian rug in our kitchen items. Wellllll, when I opened the box, I sure did have an oderiferous surprise. Gag! The rug was cleaned but still has a funny haze on one side of it!

It is marvelous on food, just not good smelling it in the street or in the bottle. Or on a rug! Laughing
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 07:50 am
@fgkee,
Hello fgkee.
I do enjoy Thai food. Noodles. Broths. Heat. Vegetables. Mmm. Endless combinations.
I have close to nill, experience wise, in cooking Thai foods.
Here is a recipe, for a favorite Bangkok street food, that I once made for a party, which received great reviews.
Baked Shrimp Toasts
Ten slices firm white sandwich bread. Crust removed
Quarter cup olive or canola oil
Two tablespoons and one teaspoon of Garlic chilli pepper sauce
One egg yolk
One pound raw shrimp. Peeled, deveined, and minced.
Four scallions minced
One tablespoon minced garlic
One tablespoon minced cilantro
One tablesppon sesame seeds.

Preheat oven to four hundred. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place bread on baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake five minutes, oil side up. Set tray aside to cool.
In a bowl beat the garlic chilli pepper sauce and egg. Add shrimp, garlic cilantro and scallions. Mix well.
Flip bread over and spoon shrimp mixture on top. Please spread evenly to the edges. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Using a pastry brush, dab shrimp with oil.
Bake ten minutes. Cut bread into four triangle or square pieces.
Enjoy.
0 Replies