Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:25 am
We're going to the beach this week for a mini vacation and have a condo so we can cook... any suggestions and simple recipes for fresh seafood... easy to do with whatever basic cooking gear will be in the kitchen? We're not experienced in cooking it straight from the ocean... I myself am interested in tuna or swordfish filets more than shellfish but any shellfish tips are also appreciated...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,341 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:34 am
Marinade! You can either buy stuff premade or make it yourself with fruit juice and usually vinegar or even wine. This is generally more for your tuna-type stuff but I imagine it could be used for shellfish as well. Then toss on the BBQ.

PS Have a lovely time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:34 am
Blow fish
I know blow fish will sound sexy to you, Bear, but I recommend you avoid it. ---BBB

Fugu - Blow Fish
From Setsuko Yoshizuka,
Your Guide to Japanese Food.

The World's Most Deadly Feast?

Fugu (blow fish) is a fish which contains deadly poison in the organs. Despite the risk, fugu dishes remain as special feasts in Japan. Even the milt is considered as a great delicacy. Fugu is referred to as blow/globe/puffer fish since it blows its body up. The kanji (Chinese characters) used to write fugu indicates "river pig." In western Japan, fugu is called "fuku," which means "to blow" or "happiness." It's reported that about 40 kinds of blow fish are caught and cultured in Japan and that 10000 tons of blow fish are consumed each year. Shimonoseki-city in Yamaguchi, is known as fugu city and supplies a large amount of fugu.
There is an old expression such that "I want to eat fugu, but I don't want to die" in Japan. Since fugu's poison can lead to instantaneous deaths of diners, only licensed cooks are allowed to prepare fugu.

You must have special skills and knowledge about fugu to be licensed. Poisonous parts of fugu differ, depending on the kind of fugu. Because of the strict regulations, the number of deaths is decreasing.

Fugu dishes are usually expensive. One meal can cost $100 to $200 per person at a famous restaurant. But there are inexpensive fugu dishes (from $15 to $20) available at some restaurants. It's said that the most poisonous fugu, "Tora-fugu," is the most delicious. Tora-fugu is expensive and can cost over one hundred dollars at a fish market. Nowadays, prepared-fugu are sold at grocery stores and online stores, and fugu are eaten at Japanese homes. Fugu dishes are becoming more common than they used to be. Winter is the best season to eat fugu.

Blow Fish dishes:

Fugu-sashi
Thinly sliced raw fugu. Served with ponzu dipping sauce (mixture of citrus juice and soy sauce).
Fugu-chiri
Vegetables and fugu are simmered in konbu dashi soup in a large pot. Served with ponzu dipping sauce.
Fugu Kara-age
Floured and deep fried.
Fugu Hire-zake
Grilled fin is put in hot sake drink.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:35 am
I love fresh shrimp peeled and deveined, and marinated in olive oil, lemon and dill. I skewer it alternating it with lemon and onion (I marinate the onion in the olive oil and lemon as well) and grill it. It is fast and delicious. I make a simple sauce to go with it - a cup plain yogurt, 2 cloves of garlic and a tsp of dill - squeeze of lemon. Side of couscous and a salad. It is fast and quite yummy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:40 am
EASY WHOLE FRESH SALMON
EASY WHOLE FRESH SALMON
An original recipe by BumbleBeeBoogie

I love salmon; I love whole salmon better than salmon steaks or fillets. My method is so easy and the salmon is so moist and delicious, you will wonder why you didn't think of it yourself. I also use basil leaves instead of the traditional dill because I like the flavor it adds to the salmon. I bought a long fish-shaped lidded clay pot, whose bottom inside is glazed for easy cleaning. I soak the pot and lid in water for about 15 minutes before using.

I buy whole salmon of a length that will fit into my special clay pot (the pot will fit into my microwave oven).

1 whole fresh or frozen salmon, cleaned
1 bunch of basil leaves
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 fresh lemon, sliced into thin slices

Thaw the salmon if frozen. Wash the salmon inside and out. Wash and drain dry the basil leaves. Fill the salmon's cavity with the basil leaves, lemon slices, sprinkle with the salt and pepper.

Place the stuffed fish in the clay pot, put the lid on and place in the microwave oven. Cook as directed for your oven and the weight of your salmon. Do not overcook. Remove the salmon every 5 minutes to test for flakiness and light pink, not raw, fish.

When cooked, you may move the salmon to a fish platter or leave it in the bottom of the clay pot and bring to the table. I usually leave the salmon in its clay pot bottom.

Before serving, you may optionally remove the basil leaves and lemon slices. With a knife or spoon, gently scrape the black skin off the top side of the salmon to expose the light pink flesh. To serve, simply flake off large chunks of the salmon from the bone structure (the rib bones we all hate will remain attached to the spine bones so you obtain bone-free salmon chunks.) Provide additional lemon wedges.

When the top part of the salmon has been eaten, turn the salmon over and repeat on that side so all the salmon is exposed for eating. NOTE: You can cook the salmon in your oven in a conventional clay pot, buying a salmon that will fit into the size of your pot, and bake it in the oven at the temperature required for your clay pot.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:41 am
DORIA SEAFOOD RICE GRATIN
DORIA SEAFOOD RICE GRATIN
An original recipe by Bumble Bee Boogie

1 cup raw long grain white rice
butter and olive oil as required for sautéing
3 slices pepper-coated thick-sliced bacon, thinly sliced and separated
1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
1/2 cup mushroom caps, thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons flat Italian parsley, minced
4 large or 16 small shrimp, fresh or frozen, deveined if necessary
1 or 2 whitefish fillet, fresh or frozen, depending on size
4 large or 16 small scallops, fresh or frozen
2 to 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
1 cup of white sauce (see recipe below)

Steam the rice according to package directions. Add a little olive oil to the cooked rice to prevent it sticking together. Reserve.

Prepare the White Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon canned chopped black olives
2 tablespoons bottled tiny capers
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles, but don't let it brown. Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring the sauce to a boil; add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, chopped olives, and capers. Lower the heat and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Place a piece of wax paper over the top of the sauce to prevent a skin from forming; cover the pot to keep the sauce warm, and set aside.

In a large frying pan (having a lid), heat a small amount of butter and olive oil to saute the onions for 2 minutes; add the bacon and mushrooms and saute for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. Add the cooked rice, stirring to coat the rice so it does not stick together. Stir in the salt and pepper and one-half of the minced parsley. Cover the pan and set aside.

If using large shrimp and scallops, cut them into 4 uniform pieces. Cut the whitefish to match the size of the shrimp and scallops. In a sauce pan with heated butter and olive oil sufficient to saute the seafood, saute the shrimp, whitefish and scallops for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not over-cook.

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.

Butter a large oven-proof gratin dish (or individual gratin dishes with the ingredients divided between them); add the rice mixture. Layer the seafood on top, then sprinkle half of the grated Gruyere cheese on top. Ladle the white sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere cheese and minced parsley. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the gratin is heated through and the cheese topping is lightly golden brown.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:44 am
BAKED DIJON-CRUSTED SALMON
I prefer my salmon without any adornment, but if you want to jazz it up, try this. ---BBB

BAKED DIJON-CRUSTED SALMON
By BumbleBeeBoogie

4 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons prepared Dijon mustard
1-1/2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs or Japanese Panko dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup shelled pecans, finely chopped
4 teaspoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lemon sliced into wedges for garnish

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, mustard, and honey. Set aside.

In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, pecans, parsley, salt and pepper.

Immerse each salmon fillet into the honey mustard mixture. Then roll each fillet into the bread crumb mixture, covering completely.

Place the coated salmon fillets on a non-stick baking pan and bake them for 12 to 15 minutes until they flake easily with a fork.

Serves 4 garnished with a wedge of lemon.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:48 am
Wasabi-Cream Cheese Filled Shrimp Hors D'oeuvre
This is my favorite way to jazz up shrimp and it's so easy to prepare. ---BBB

Wasabi-Cream Cheese Filled Shrimp Hors D'oeuvre
An original recipe by BumbleBeeBoogie.

There are no proportions specified for this recipe. Use the largest cooked and cleaned shrimp you can find. Split the shrimp with a sharp knife to create a long stuffing pocket.

In a bowl, mix sufficient cream cheese to stuff the number of shrimp you are preparing. Whisk the cream cheese until it is soft and fluffy. Add a little chopped chives or finely minced green onions. Add the Wasabi mustard (that very hot pale green mustard you find served along with Japanese food) to your taste, starting with a little at a time until you reach the perfect mixture that is not too hot. Be sure the Wasabi is thoroughly mixed in to avoid any hot chunks.

Spoon the Wasabi-cream cheese mixture into the shrimp pockets. One time when the cream cheese was a tad too thick, I thinned it down slightly with a few drops of lemon juice. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Present the stuffed shrimp on an attractive plate and then get out of the way of the impending stampede. A wonderful and unusual appetizer that couldn't be simpler to make, even to transport to a party.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:49 am
PAI CHIAO HSIA CH'IU (Shrimp Balls)
PAI CHIAO HSIA CH'IU (Shrimp Balls)
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

These shrimp balls are among the best appetizers I've ever tasted. I searched for years to find a recipe in English after I tried, without success, to get a translation from the woman who prepared them for a party I attended over 20 years ago.

20 slices white bread, crusts removed, in 1/4-inch cubes (or the equivalent in Japanese Panko dried bread crumbs)
1-1/8 pound shrimp, shelled, deveined and rinsed
1/2 cup water chestnuts, blanches and finely chopped
1 large egg white, beaten lightly
2 tablespoons lard, finely chopped (do not substitute)
1 tablespoon rice wine
1-1/2 teaspoons ginger root, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons scallion (green onion) white part only, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
peanut or corn oil for frying

Optional dip for shrimp balls:
3 tablespoons coarse salt (sea salt or Kosher salt)
1 tablespoon Szechwan peppercorns, crushed and lightly toasted

(If using the Japanese Panko dried bread crumbs, you make skip the following: Arrange the bread cubes in one layer on a baking sheet and let them dry at room temperature overnight.)

In a food processor, puree the shrimp; transfer to a bowl, and stir in the water chestnuts, egg white, lard, wine, ginger, scallion, salt, and cornstarch. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon and compact it. Form rounded teaspoons of the mixture into balls with your hands, dipped in cold water. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs, pressing the cubes in lightly. Arrange them in one layer on a baking sheet.

1st frying: In a deep fryer, heat 2-inches of the oil to 375 degrees F. In it, fry the shrimp balls in batches, turning them, for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are golden. Transfer the shrimp balls to paper towels to drain.

2nd frying: Bring the oil up to 375 degrees F. again and add the shrimp balls. Fry again, turning until they are a deep golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Optional: In a small bowl, stir together the coarse salt and peppercorns for dipping. Serve with the shrimp balls.
Makes 30 shrimp balls
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:57 am
damn BBB.... blowfish....shrimp balls.... are you feeling peckish or something?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 10:05 am
Get a bag of Zatarains Crab Boil -- make sure you get the kind that comes in a bag (inside a box) because it allows you to control the spiciness easier.

Throw bag in a big pot of water.
Boil.
Throw in potatoes, corn on the cob, crawdads, shrimp, crab claws.
Cook.
Eat.

A few days later carmelize some chopped onions in butter - really cook them.
Add some celery.
Cook a bit.
Throw in a couple of big spoons of flour.
Cook until dark brown and bubbly.
Add some water, tomoato (canned, fresh, soup, juice, any kind will do).
Add any leftovers from previous meals (fish, chicken, the boiled stuff.)
Cook until thick.
Serve over rice.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 10:08 am
yum Boomerang...writing that down.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 10:46 am
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
damn BBB.... blowfish....shrimp balls.... are you feeling peckish or something?

I knew you would rise to the challenge over those items.

BBB
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 10:53 am
You can cook fish very simply - if you have really fresh fish. With Salmon, I've simply grilled, or baked and then topped with honey after removing from grill or oven.

For light flaky fish, I've poured a little oil on the bottom of a baking dish/pan (heat oil in oven first). Coat the fish in italien flavored bread crumbs and then bake - turning fish half way through - gives a bit of the fried tasted without getting too greasy and healthier too - you can also squeeze some lemon on.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 07:14 pm
Place whatever fillets you like on a sheet of foil. Season with salt, pepper to taste, onion slices or chives, some parsley, or basil, or dill, garlic, whatever you like with the particular fish. Then lemon or lime slices and a dab of butter. A dash of white wine? Make a sealed packet with the foil and barbecue the fillets or bake them in the oven.

I take small packages from home of the seasonings I use most often: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, dill, rosemary, basil, etc. It saves $$$ in the grocery store on vacation.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 10:23 pm
Fresh fish tastes best with butter (the real butter) only.

How about mussels? They're so good when fresh and cheap too.
Clean and cook with onions, garlic, white wine, until shell have opened.
Get some baguette along with it, and wine of course.
0 Replies

RuffChefster

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:10 pm
I love fish. I agree that it's more tasty with the real butter. Anyone have any appetizer recipes for fish? or better yet, any cool recipe /appetizer ideas?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:00 pm
Yes!

Buy a jar of roasted red peppers in olive oil (Trader Joe's)
1 lb. of fresh cooked shrimps
Feta cheese, salt and pepper to taste

Cut up the roasted peppers, toss all ingredients together and enjoy!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 06:46 pm
Blowfish is the best!! It out lobsters lobster. It has such a lobstery taste but sweeter and broiled in a clar butter, I can eat a whole dozen of the critters. People used to throw em out when they fished in the Chesapeake and Id always ask for the blowfish to their pitiful look"poor guy, must really be down on his luck" theyd think, THE FOOLS
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 07:10 pm
Re: cooking tips
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
We're going to the beach this week for a mini vacation and have a condo so we can cook... any suggestions and simple recipes for fresh seafood... easy to do with whatever basic cooking gear will be in the kitchen? We're not experienced in cooking it straight from the ocean... I myself am interested in tuna or swordfish filets more than shellfish but any shellfish tips are also appreciated...

Blackened, in honor of Obama, Smile

Seriously, just pan fry it, there are a variety of seasonings (including blackening) you can buy but fish right out of the ocean is great, pan fried with salt and pepper. I prefer to have my fish whole though.
0 Replies